Ranged and Magic

By Xeonic-Ice, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I apologize if this has been explained in an older thread but I'm having trouble locating any information on the subject.

I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding what the differences between ranged and magic are. I know you need a magic weapon equipped to cast magic and likewise for ranged and ranged weapons. From reading the rules, it seems that magic and ranged function identically except for equipping the appropriate weapon.

I'm assuming magic still has to penetrate armor since there isn't anything specifically saying one way or the other.

Hopefully the knowledgeable crew here can clarify things for me!

Yes, they work pretty much the same, including being mitigated by armor.

The difference is that ranged weapons usually have more Pierce or Daze style effects, while magic weapons (runes and staves) often have more special effects like Blast, Breath, or even Stun or Sleep. Mechanics-wise, they work alike.

Also, ranged attacks typically go farther but don't hit as hard.

The big differences in all the attacks is the dice used. Melee uses the red die, Ranged uses the blue die and Magic uses the white die. See how those dice compare to understand the strength's weaknesses of the core ability.

-shnar

Thanks for all the help in clarifying. It makes a lot more sense now. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of this game but I'm loving it so far.