Team Covenant weighs in on if the game is dead.

By Mep, in Star Wars: Destiny

First 8 minutes is all fluff and they stop around 35 minutes in and go on to more fluff. No real info here at all. Just a rehash of what we been going around in circles about. Long story short, supply sucks but the game is fine. They seem to think the rotation is 2 years. Not sure where they got that, maybe it is so?

Edited by Mep

I thought there insight was really good though. And some how, I don't know why, I trust there predictions. So I am re-energized about getting my hands on some TFA starters and at least one booster box in June. If that does not happen I will be pretty discouraged. I am not gonna pre-order. I wanna go online and buy the stuff when it get's here. We will see.

On a different note. It is hard for me to go all in on the second expansion with out having the original cards in my collection. I just don't work that way with a game this new. I would have no problem buying the SOR expansion after I get some of TFA product. I also have no problem buying singles on the secondary market once I have a foundation of staples so I can complete my decks.

I wonder if any other current non-product holders feel this way.

Personally, Team Covenant is right to discuss this. They have a vested interest in the health of this game considering how in they are on it. It is in their best interest to promote the game. Whether or not they have an inside track on information, or have a rather huge allocation of product is the subject of hearsay and rumor.

I stayed on the forum for the community, but I am on my way out of the game. I do not have a lot of faith in the distribution of product from FFG (my opinion), and I REALLY do not want to pay the prices the game stores in my area are going to charge. I'm also in an area where a tiny handful of players have locked down the product, so in reality my only options are paying overinflated prices to even remotely compete. Not doing that either. Again, my choice.

Better topic... is Team Covenant Cast DOA? :rolleyes:

Love these guys... but I can't recommend this. There are far better topics (with substance) in the world of gaming.

Admittedly, I didn't watch the video. Because I think a group that's as involved with FFG would never say anything against any of their products. TC made a nice bit of profit off their SS . Why would they bite the hand that feeds them?

I think everyone knows the distribution will get figured out, it's an amazingly fun game. The future is bright. Now I'm off to tweak my deck went 1 and 2 last night.

1 hour ago, Ywingscum said:

I think everyone knows the distribution will get figured out, it's an amazingly fun game. The future is bright. Now I'm off to tweak my deck went 1 and 2 last night.

I'm not so sure. I remember having a hard time getting Y-Wings in the summer / fall of '13. After that it was YT-1300s that were out of stock for several months. In fact, there always seemed to be at least one thing FFG was behind the curve on, even a couple of years after it become readily apparent just how popular the game was. It doesn't instill me with much confidence that Destiny will be any different.

2 hours ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

I'm not so sure. I remember having a hard time getting Y-Wings in the summer / fall of '13. After that it was YT-1300s that were out of stock for several months.

And sadly, that was the end of x-wing.........

The success and future of this game completely depends on the new cards and if they enhance the game and make it more fun or if they screw the game up. Supply issues will eventually work themselves out.

11 hours ago, Mep said:

First 8 minutes is all fluff and they stop around 35 minutes in and go on to more fluff. No real info here at all. Just a rehash of what we been going around in circles about. Long story short, supply sucks but the game is fine. They seem to think the rotation is 2 years. Not sure where they got that, maybe it is so?

Id say educated guess is where they got 2 Years. Only going one pisses off the initial buyers, and going any longer in a One and Fine print style means impossible to get cards will be absolute must includes and inflate prices over 100$.

12 minutes ago, Mep said:

And sadly, that was the end of x-wing.........

The success and future of this game completely depends on the new cards and if they enhance the game and make it more fun or if they screw the game up. Supply issues will eventually work themselves out.

The only competition in the pre-assembled, pre-painted miniatures market is WizKids, and I don't see that as much of a competition. Of course X-Wing persevered through their supply issues - as consumers we didn't have an alternate choice. Now I'm looking at the culmination of 4 years worth of those same issues and wondering if my money might not be better invested in a more competent CCG manufacturer, and I sincerely doubt I'm the only one. Suffice it to say, the CCG market is far more cutthroat than the competition (or lack thereof) FFG faced or faces with X-Wing.

The only thing to fear is fear it's self. I'm selling mine off but that's for personal reasons.

No doubt FFG is losing sales by not having product available. So it's not dead or dying it's just got a cold.

I think the current meta is balls awful for players without product at MSRP. A game that was too expensive to build basic decks with at MSRP is bonkers at anything higher.

Its a wonderful game and I hope to see it flourish in the future.

5 hours ago, TylerTT said:

The only thing to fear is fear it's self. I'm selling mine off but that's for personal reasons.

No doubt FFG is losing sales by not having product available. So it's not dead or dying it's just got a cold.

I think the current meta is balls awful for players without product at MSRP. A game that was too expensive to build basic decks with at MSRP is bonkers at anything higher.

Its a wonderful game and I hope to see it flourish in the future.

I also hope the next set of starters come with 30 card decks. Other CCGs sell ready to go decks and I think it's the easiest way to get new players into the game.

2 hours ago, Stone37 said:

I also hope the next set of starters come with 30 card decks. Other CCGs sell ready to go decks and I think it's the easiest way to get new players into the game.

We played with less until we had more. Like it or not the starter decks being short is their hook. They want you to have to open a few boosters so you can get the rush. They want that addiction. I can't see that I blame them. Judging from the lack of product, I'd say that it worked perfectly.

12 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

We played with less until we had more. Like it or not the starter decks being short is their hook. They want you to have to open a few boosters so you can get the rush. They want that addiction. I can't see that I blame them. Judging from the lack of product, I'd say that it worked perfectly.

It's a crap hook though, if this was just a card game it wouldn't be as bad buying a few packs and probably being able to throw something together. The fact the game revolves around static characters and the upgrades are faction and color coded, good luck pulling much you can throw in a starter without either a. Pulling a proper faction character of proper color with one per pack in a spot not unique to character pulls or b. Pulling stuff that fits into the faction/color choices of the starter. You aren't buying a couple packs and doing crap, which is why people bought this stuff by the box and why under producing it has hit so hard. They knew what they created and none of what happened should have surprised them outside the initial buy rush. Lots of people have a bad taste in their mouth from this game they need to change something or risk losing more people. This game isn't cheap even with perfect supply and that alone will prevent many from getting into it.

Agreed. Had this been an LCG as it should have been, then the supply issues wouldn't have been so bad. Needing to buy 3 boxes to put one good deck together (and then having enough cards for 2 more after that) really sucked up supply. It would have still sold out as an LCG though.

6 hours ago, ozmodon said:

Like it or not the starter decks being short is their hook. They want you to have to open a few boosters so you can get the rush. They want that addiction. I can't see that I blame them. Judging from the lack of product, I'd say that it worked perfectly.

6 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

It's a crap hook though, if this was just a card game it wouldn't be as bad buying a few packs and probably being able to throw something together. The fact the game revolves around static characters and the upgrades are faction and color coded, good luck pulling much you can throw in a starter without either a. Pulling a proper faction character of proper color with one per pack in a spot not unique to character pulls or b. Pulling stuff that fits into the faction/color choices of the starter. You aren't buying a couple packs and doing crap, which is why people bought this stuff by the box and why under producing it has hit so hard. They knew what they created and none of what happened should have surprised them outside the initial buy rush. Lots of people have a bad taste in their mouth from this game they need to change something or risk losing more people. This game isn't cheap even with perfect supply and that alone will prevent many from getting into it.

This. LordFajubi said it best. It's a crap hook that reeks of money grabbing. 1 starter + 6 (heck, 10) boosters does not equal a deck. That's $50 spent with nothing to show for it!

Edited by Stone37
14 minutes ago, Stone37 said:

This. LordFajubi said it best. It's a crap hook that reeks of money grabbing. 1 starter + 6 (heck, 10) boosters does not equal a deck. That's $50 spent with nothing to show for it!

Yet you are still here so something is working

3 hours ago, Mep said:

Agreed. Had this been an LCG as it should have been, then the supply issues wouldn't have been so bad. Needing to buy 3 boxes to put one good deck together (and then having enough cards for 2 more after that) really sucked up supply. It would have still sold out as an LCG though.

Yep. A 60$ starter set with both starters, two of all the dice cards and a bunch more generic events. Then 40-50$ expansioms based on color and side, Force Villians/Rebel Heroes/ Scum Heroes. As is Ive spent 40$ and no real desire to spend more. At what I exampled I would GLADLY spend 160$+, because I KNOW what im getting, not spending 180 and still not getting what I want/need.

Edited by GamerGuy1984
2 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

Mechanics are good and setting is The single most known/liked Sci-Fi IP in history. Distribution method is a complete wash. Most of us playing dont really like it being a CCG but merely tolerate it being so to play a game that is good/fun mechanically.

18 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

Only 2 of my 10 Wednesday Game Night friends will buy into this game with me. So... I might just be a sucker and they smell money pit.

Imagine 8-12 months of playing Hyperloop or Vader Raider because of the release schedule that comes with an LCG.

How would you box it as a LCG and not watch the game die as card/dice variety becomes an issue?

That said I am sure they could do more with the starters, perhaps add three characters and have one of each colour. Just that simple change would allow a player to buy a starter and 6-10 boosters and get up and running with more reliability. Take the quick reference card out, I imagine that once you get the icons in memory you no longer need them and can pass them on.

Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want. And now we've gone full circle.

Personally, I enjoyed playing the basic precons for weeks.

1 hour ago, ozmodon said:

Not really, in the process of selling everything. This game is not my destiny.

11 hours ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want. And now we've gone full circle.

What?! Wanting stuff is not happiness at all. In fact it is suffering. Like a junky hurting for more...greed if you will or mental dependency.

I do not always agree with your somber replies but this is 100% on the button.

11 hours ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

Personally, I enjoyed playing the basic precons for weeks.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:58 PM, ozmodon said:

Wait so a starter isn't even a full ready to play deck? At least starters in MTG are ready to play even if they are crappy.... Definitely not gunna get in the game now.... that's horrible.