Shotgun Bayonet: Rules Question

By Nachytsm, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I GM a Dark Heresy 2nd Ed. game and one of the players, during combat with a mutated Catachan Devil, managed to get himself under it and bayonet it in the belly successfully. He wanted to then fire with his shotgun, to which the bayonet is attached.

Now, I couldn't find any rules or feats regarding this and I didn't want to stop the game for an extensive period to try and find out about it, so I just ruled that (since it was badass anyway) I'd allow it.

That said I would like to have a definitive answer to whether or not the rules actually support this sort of action. I know the +30 Point Blank bonus does not actually apply in melee, and that most long arms can't even be fired in melee.

Thoughts?

I think that by RAW this action is just not possible because the shotgun is not a pistol type. That said, I would always reward badassery and also allow it.

In this context, there's no "too unwieldy to aim at a moving target too close" problem.

There is, however, "barrel is done in by shooting not into air" problem. So it will hit, but then the weapon will need either barrel replacement or conversion into sawn-off.

In this case I'd probably declare the shot does maximum damage automatically. I would allow this under the 'common sense' rule that says if an action makes perfect sense in reality it should be allowed.

If he has a bayonet in something how can he not fire the gun into it? Also if he bayoneted a catachan devil he deserves to do this.

The shotgun would have to roll to avoid damage as if he'd parried with it.