Demons Can't Win?

By Togashi Jo, in DOOM: The Board Game

I picked up the game when it came out, and my friends and I find it to be a really fun game. But out of the 8 games we've played, the Demons have not won any. Has anybody else found that the Marines have a strong advantage to this game?

Hi Togashi Jo,

Are you playing with less than 4 players? I have found so far that the less marines there are, the more advantage the marines have.

So far I've had an arbitairy experience. Against:

• 1 Marine: the Demons get 3 frags before the Marine wins. Always 3 frags!!

• 2 Marines: the Demons win easily. Mostly, the Demons get 3 frags before the marines even reach an objective or achieve something.

• 4 Marines: it's the most balanced and always a close call. Even win to lose ratio so far with 4 Marines.

Have not tried 3 Marines yet. Similar situations for y'all'st? ?

Edited by MeeKey

Most of our games have had 3 Marine players.

10 hours ago, Togashi Jo said:

Most of our games have had 3 Marine players.

And what's the general win to loss?

9 hours ago, MeeKey said:

And what's the general win to loss?

As stated in the opening post, 8-0 for the Marines...

Togashi Jo

You are correct! demons cant win (sadly)

Last weekend I played the invaders in the "Molten Retrieve" scenario and wipe their marine asses pretty bad... They said it was balanced in my favor.....

So, you have to know your troops, take advantage of mobility and numbers, stall the game as much as you can (in this scenario at least) and "concentrate" fire on 1/2 marine max each turn.

On 5/8/2017 at 3:46 PM, centralx said:

There is a guy with a couple threads that are pretty helpful to understand how to play this game as a Demon. I have found this game is so different it really requires a new perspective vs. say playing Descent as the Overlord.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/246547-tooth-and-claw-101-how-to-play-as-the-invader-and-win/

Hey! That's my thread! I'm glad that you found it to be helpful! =D

I've played this game with 1 marine, 2 marines, 3 marines and 4 marines. In my experiences, playing with 4 marines on a well-balanced mission will result in a well-balanced match. I'd say that either side (marines vs. invader) has a 50% chance of winning. The selected mission plays a key factor in determining if the invader has a fair chance at victory.

Playing with 3 marines is the setup that I've had the least experience with, admittedly. Still, the game feels relatively balanced. Focus-firing on the wounded marines is still the fastest way to an invader victory, but the marine who gets to perform 2 main actions each round is the dangerous element that invaders should be very cautious about. Get too cocky, and the marines' team leader will wipe out your heavy hitters in one turn!

Playing with 2 marines gets tricky. Sure, it's easier to focus-fire since there's fewer marines, but they got more health and they both get 2 main actions per turn! Hold no punches, and use every dirty trick you got f you want to win as the invader! The game is much more in the marines' favor here.

Playing with only 1 marine is a waste of the invader's time. You're gonna lose. Your only hope is to slow the Solo Operative down. Only by having almost every figure on the board as you can manage and then hitting the marine with the Cyberdemon's Rail Cannon EVERY ROUND can you have any chance in Hell of actually defeating the Solo Operative. I have yet to manage a single victory against the Solo Operative, and I'm pretty sure that he's UNSTOPPABLE. o_O;;

It's hard to really gauge this with my group though it seems like it's a bit in the advantage of the marines in my group. A lot of that is that we keep changing who the invader is so it's really hard to get a grasp on the strategy of that side. Last night, I got 2 of the 6 frags I needed for the win on mission 1-3. Wasn't even close. I have read up on some of the strategy for today and there definitely looks to be some things I could do to improve.

Also of note, we keep learning about a rule or two we've messed up each game. For example, until last night we were using Imperial Assault line of sight rules and no cover. That definitely made a change!

Don't know if anyone is still checking, but has anyone tried just adding all four marine cards to the initiative deck in solo mode with only one action per activiation instead of two cards in the initiative deck and two actions per action? It's a simple change and it would reduce the likelihood of 4 actions in a row for the marine player. It would be more like a four marine game.

I was looking for information on such arrangements and many have such problems that if 3-4 foot soldiers are almost impossible to win the monsters. It seems to me that something is wrong all the same, the developers have forgotten about the balance, or is it so intended?)