Web in RtL

By Spalkulus, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

We played a session last night, and a Hero was webbed, just as she was going to go through a glyph to Tamalir. Could she teleport while webbed? Reading the rules strictly, a webbed figure cannot spend movement points, but moving to Tamalir doesn't cost movement points per se, so I would say yes, but I can understand the feeling that this might not be the "natural" answer.

Has there been any ruling on this?

Using a glyph costs 1MP. Webs do not allow you to spend MP. Therefore, you can't use the glyph.

Spalkulus said:

We played a session last night, and a Hero was webbed, just as she was going to go through a glyph to Tamalir. Could she teleport while webbed? Reading the rules strictly, a webbed figure cannot spend movement points, but moving to Tamalir doesn't cost movement points per se, so I would say yes, but I can understand the feeling that this might not be the "natural" answer.

Has there been any ruling on this?

The FAQ has an answer for you. Going TO town from adjacent to or on a glyph does NOT uses movement points.

"If he goes to town, he is immediately moved to

the building of his choice and gets to Restock there. No

movement points, no declared action – he just Restocks."

HOWEVER: Moving from town back to the dungeon DOES require a movement point:

"If he returns to the dungeon, he

declares a normal action (Battle, Ready, Advance, Run)

and then must spend a movement point to move from town

to the dungeon, just like normal. If he somehow can't do

so (i.e. he Battled and had no fatigue left) then the entire

action is canceled and the hero Restocks instead."

Thus the Webbed hero can relocate TO town via the glyph but will have to stay IN town restocking until she can roll away the Web.

Hope this helps

Ah, now I know why I said what I previously said. I house ruled that you can enter town as vanilla descent.

SqueezeBox said:

Ah, now I know why I said what I previously said. I house ruled that you can enter town as vanilla descent.

Bah! Why the Hero love? Make them THINK and use TACTICS... don't make it easy on them!

demonio.gif

I dont have the rules with me but if they go back to Town doesn't it take three movement points to shop so all they're doing is leaving you with move opportunity to gang up on the other members of the party. With the bonus of they cant get back because they have no movement.

Although isn't web really pathetic in RTL, i cant even remember the rules on it because the person who runs OL for us has given up using them because he was so disheartened about it.

Minti-me said:

I dont have the rules with me but if they go back to Town doesn't it take three movement points to shop so all they're doing is leaving you with move opportunity to gang up on the other members of the party. With the bonus of they cant get back because they have no movement.

Although isn't web really pathetic in RTL, i cant even remember the rules on it because the person who runs OL for us has given up using them because he was so disheartened about it.

In RtL, it doesn't take movement points to shop in town. You do it just by being there.

And web isn't really pathetic in RtL. I used it once to hold their ranger in place for long enough to kill it; thus putting me over the 25 conquest mark and allowing me to get my first silver monster upgrade after one dungeon (at least, that was what should have happened; but my hand of cards was so bad that I wasn't able to follow up with a beastman or skeleton or razorwing or sorcerer spawn; just some worthless copper puppies)

But that was the fault of my hand, not the web. The web did it's job admirabely.

It is true that web has been nerfed, but it is still a pretty good ability.

There are a few rules in the game that just apply frustration (undying) or extends the game (being adjacent or on a glyph to use it) that I've either modified or gotten rid of completely. I want the game to be fun for my players since it's rare that we get to play the game.

SqueezeBox said:

There are a few rules in the game that just apply frustration (undying) or extends the game (being adjacent or on a glyph to use it) that I've either modified or gotten rid of completely. I want the game to be fun for my players since it's rare that we get to play the game.

I'm pretty sure the glyph change was made to prevent the heroes from abusing the glyphs in the smaller dungeon size in RTL. Attack, move to glyph, go to town, heal. Come back next turn and attack or set a guard. Then attack, move to glyph/town and heal. I agree that there are some rules that can be wearying on the heroes but how do you think the OL feels when the ranged hero auto-mows down the entire room in one attack or Kirga + Boggs the Rat makes all of the spawn cards in his hand?

I just sometimes get the feeling that the Hero players put too much emphasis on making things easy with Road to Legend.

Good points. Luckily I haven't had that problem yet.