Availability

By ozmodon, in Star Wars: Destiny

This seems to be Beyond some people's grasp but this is a collectable game. If you feel the need to complain about availability this is probably not the game for you. Net runner is a good game that isn't collectable. I wish you all luck but OMG Enough!

Collectability is predicated upon supply and potential market saturation. Who do I have to trade with right now? Who will I have to trade with three months from now?

And (as stated on the other thread) Collectability is NOT the same as availability.

My local store talked to it's gamers and saw that there was a large interest and bought in from the start. They also shopped around when supplies were short and picked up extra cases from other stores. We maybe don't have as many players as we could of had but we aren't short on players either.

Collectability is all about rarity. Maybe the core sets will address the availability part for the game aspect while the expansion sets is what the price gougers and investors can go after.

I have played many ccg's for years and this is not how it's ran

This isn't collectible in the same way that a collectors item is.

On 3/1/2017 at 4:14 AM, Spartan_Dude said:

This isn't collectible in the same way that a collectors item is.

Or is it excatly what they are doing and that's everyone is winning.

Everyone sure seems to know what's in FFG's mind.

Edited by ozmodon
17 hours ago, ozmodon said:

My local store talked to it's gamers and saw that there was a large interest and bought in from the start. They also shopped around when supplies were short and picked up extra cases from other stores. We maybe don't have as many players as we could of had but we aren't short on players either.

To clarify... you got lucky and experienced the perfect storm of being part of a community that "bought in" before release, had the support of a store owner who also "bought in" before release and had access to other stores that were unable to sell through their allotment? Good for you. I think you're in the overwhelming minority.

Many people interested in the game actively WANT to buy booster packs (and starters), but can't because...

• ...they didn't know they needed to pre-order.
  • ...they knew they needed to pre-order, but didn't have cash on hand and assumed product would be available for purchase shortly after launch.
  • ...they knew they needed to pre-order, but didn't have an accommodating local store owner.
  • ...they pre-ordered, but the store was shorted on its allotment of product.
  • ...they pre-ordered SOME product to try out the game, but then found additional product was unavailable.

Even assuming that an individual planned ahead, pre-ordered and got everything they needed on day one... their buddy who thinks the game looks neat and wants to buy in is screwed. Product isn't available and won't be available in any meaningful way for months.

I would also ask a question. Let's say I move to your town and start shopping at the store you shop at... can I buy into Destiny? I'm assuming that the answer is no. That's a problem. Yes, the game should be collectible. Darth Vader should also be harder to find than a random common card. Booster packs, on the other hand, should not be hard to find. The cards should be collectible, not unavailable. Right now, the game is overwhelmingly unavailable to most interested buyers.

54 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

To clarify... you got lucky and experienced the perfect storm of being part of a community that "bought in" before release, had the support of a store owner who also "bought in" before release and had access to other stores that were unable to sell through their allotment? Good for you. I think you're in the overwhelming minority.

Many people interested in the game actively WANT to buy booster packs (and starters), but can't because...

• ...they knew they needed to pre-order, but didn't have cash on hand and assumed product would be available for purchase shortly after launch.
  • ...they knew they needed to pre-order, but didn't have an accommodating local store owner.
  • ...they pre-ordered SOME product to try out the game, but then found additional product was unavailable.

Even assuming that an individual planned ahead, pre-ordered and got everything they needed on day one... their buddy who thinks the game looks neat and wants to buy in is screwed. Product isn't available and won't be available in any meaningful way for months.

I would also ask a question. Let's say I move to your town and start shopping at the store you shop at... can I buy into Destiny? I'm assuming that the answer is no. That's a problem. Yes, the game should be collectible. Darth Vader should also be harder to find than a random common card. Booster packs, on the other hand, should not be hard to find. The cards should be collectible, not unavailable. Right now, the game is overwhelmingly unavailable to most interested buyers.

If people only got as impassioned about things that really mattered as much as they do card games, man, think of what a great world we'd live in.

Sometimes, a company makes a great product that blows their expectations away. Sometimes, a company makes a terrible product that flops. I'd much rather have the former and have the company adjust to meet future demand, but hey, I'm not a giant whiner spending his days crying over my inability to find dice.

20 minutes ago, Cliffietheman said:

If people only got as impassioned about things that really mattered as much as they do card games, man, think of what a great world we'd live in.

Sometimes, a company makes a great product that blows their expectations away. Sometimes, a company makes a terrible product that flops. I'd much rather have the former and have the company adjust to meet future demand, but hey, I'm not a giant whiner spending his days crying over my inability to find dice.

I'm not a giant whiner either.

You don't need to be a jerk about this. Saying that availability is bad and being upset that you were sold on a game that you now can't buy isn't the same as 'spending days crying over an inability to find dice'.

The issue is that FFG hasn't communicated to us in any meaningful way that they're adjusting to meet future demand. Quite the opposite, they confirmed that all future sets will be one print run and done. Many people see that as a confirmation that future sets will have the same kinds of availability issues as Awakenings... which got more than one print run.

Edited by KrisWall
12 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

The issue is that FFG hasn't communicated to us in any meaningful way that they're adjusting to meet future demand. Quite the opposite, they confirmed that all future sets will be one print run and done. Many people see that as a confirmation that future sets will have the same kinds of availability issues as Awakenings... which got more than one print run.

Well that's a glass half empty view.

It is true that we won't know what the futures holds in regards to supply vs demand based on FFG's article. Would it not be wiser to just acknowledge the uncertainty and not panic over it. Patience is a virtue.

I think if Sith and Jedi were real there would be more Sith posting to these forums than Jedi. Feel your anger. It will make you stronger than you can imagine.?

Edited by Starbane
1 hour ago, KrisWall said:

Or like me live in a country where stores do not take pre-orders at all. What really bugs me is that future base sets will be availible for a year, while the Awakenings base set has had an availibility of 1-2 weeks. First run sold out in a day, the second sold out in 2-7 days.

To the OP, you might have missed the part where retailers only got part of their order since FFG couldn't deliver, so yeah, the fault lies with FFG.

1 minute ago, Starbane said:

Well that's a glass half empty view.

It is true that we won't know what the futures holds in regards to supply vs demand based on FFG's article. Would it not be wiser to just acknowledge the uncertainty and not panic over it. Patience is a virtue.

I think if Sith and Jedi were real there would be more Sith posting to these forums than Jedi. Feel your anger. It will make you stronger than you can imagine.?

What part of my post sounded like panic?

From my standpoint, the only uncertainty is the size of the expansion print runs. IF the size is sufficient, awesome. If it's not... well, there won't be a second print run. FFG has a really bad track record for gauging demand. They very frequently under produce. With no additional print runs, under production locks out players. Existing players not being able to acquire product is bad. Potential new players not being able to acquire product is devastating.

3 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

What part of my post sounded like panic?

From my standpoint, the only uncertainty is the size of the expansion print runs. IF the size is sufficient, awesome. If it's not... well, there won't be a second print run. FFG has a really bad track record for gauging demand. They very frequently under produce. With no additional print runs, under production locks out players. Existing players not being able to acquire product is bad. Potential new players not being able to acquire product is devastating.

So you just assume that's going to happen instead of taking a wait and see approach.

At least you didn't disagree with my more Sith than Jedi contention. ?

19 hours ago, ozmodon said:

This seems to be Beyond some people's grasp but this is a collectable game. If you feel the need to complain about availability this is probably not the game for you. Net runner is a good game that isn't collectable. I wish you all luck but OMG Enough!

Here's the best part of the internet...it's completely up to you to read what you want. Don't like the complaining...pound sand.

Personally I find knowing that I am not the only one in a less than happy place a little reassuring.

29 minutes ago, Starbane said:

So you just assume that's going to happen instead of taking a wait and see approach.

At least you didn't disagree with my more Sith than Jedi contention. ?

Historical evidence suggests that FFG is bad at gauging demand. I AM taking a wait and see approach, but I'm also looking at past history so I know what to expect. I'm expecting future product shortages. FFG's message of "we're making what we're making and we hope it's enough because we're not going to make more" doesn't give me a very high comfort level. I hope they get it right. They don't always. One and done print runs mean no wiggle room if they get the demand wrong.

And yeah... internet forums inherently attract people who feel strongly one way or the other about a certain topic. People who are ambivalent usually don't care enough to post.

2 hours ago, loki_tbc said:

Here's the best part of the internet...it's completely up to you to read what you want. Don't like the complaining...pound sand.

Personally I find knowing that I am not the only one in a less than happy place a little reassuring.

Very true, that's why when I got to the part about it being up to me.... I quite reading!

I love how some people want the community as a whole to have patience and wait and see then others ***** you didn't have the foresight to jump the gun and preorder when no one knew if this was a rocket or lead balloon. The arrogance of the haves to the have nots is staggering on this board.

6 hours ago, ozmodon said:

Or is it excatly what they are doing and that's everyone is winning.

Except for the people who are looking to play or even collect this game....

11 hours ago, Cliffietheman said:

if no one complain then we will continue to get the same mediocre treatment, I not crying over missing dice I am upset they are hurting a good game by not doing what they need to do to get this game past a cult following.

past behavior is a predictor of future behavior and so far I have no reason not to expect them to give us the absolute min they can do.

8 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

I love how some people want the community as a whole to have patience and wait and see then others ***** you didn't have the foresight to jump the gun and preorder when no one knew if this was a rocket or lead balloon. The arrogance of the haves to the have nots is staggering on this board.

I got product I not complaing for me, I am speaking up for the ones who get none, the ones who can't start a community due to players not able to get product.

16 minutes ago, soviet prince said:

if no one complain then we will continue to get the same mediocre treatment, I not crying over missing dice I am upset they are hurting a good game by not doing what they need to do to get this game past a cult following.

past behavior is a predictor of future behavior and so far I have no reason not to expect them to give us the absolute min they can do.

I got product I not complaing for me, I am speaking up for the ones who get none, the ones who can't start a community due to players not able to get product.

Do everyone a favor and speak for yourself. No one needs a spokesman, they have their own voices

Keep it classy please @ozmodon :)

12 minutes ago, ellhaynes said:

Keep it classy please @ozmodon

13 minutes ago, ellhaynes said:

Keep it classy please @ozmodon :)

People are acting like FFG ran over their puppy. Like they speak for everyone and how they are the Authority on this game when aren't greeting people at Wal-Mart. But I'm the one not keeping it classy

Cry, Cry, Blah, Blah. Snide comment. I think I'm getting the hang of this. These forums give gamers a terrible name. So many whiners and complainers. No one offers solutions or help just comments that no one gives a s&*% about. It's basically the best representation of humanity at the moment.