Acolyte identification

By felismachina, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Hey guys and girls. While forums are still active i thought i could get some opinion.

I am planing to introduce players to rival inquisitor acolytes. Both players and rival acolytes have same goal on the plaanet. I am pretty sure that it will come to confrontation but i supose that they could try to resolve this peacefully. But i was wondering how do any side prove they are really acolytes? Since they won't have rossete or anything like that how can they prove their identity? Do inquisition use some sort of ID writ? I am sure that at times acolytes must coordinate with local law or some other organization so how do they prove anything? Since i am pretty sure that saying "we are in inquition" is not enough

I don't know about rules or official fluff about that. In my campaign all acolytes wear featureless silver rings that have the inquisitorial =I= worked in the inside and additionally incorporate some kind of small machine spirit that can be checked with a special device that some of the more important servants of the Imperium posses (again only in my campaign).

But I would also be interested in how other GMs handle this and if there are some official statements about that.

This thread from 2009 also discusses the same, perhaps it will bring some insight/inspiration:

Personally I'd just give something similar to a rosette to trusted Acolytes, perhaps only purely to identify the acolyte to be part of the retinue of an Inquisitor (thus creating the link). Optionally add some lower level inquisitorial perks, such as accessing cogitator systems that require the correct authorization level (but make their level lower than the one a full Inquisitor would have).

Edited by Gridash

I did something similar to eltom13. The PC group has two 'lesser rosettes' which bear the same symbol as their inquisitor's rosette but are much smaller (and don't command nearly the same authority).

I'd give them a "hot line" that they can give to a person and be like "call that number" then the acolytes wait a few minutes later said "person" is all pale and scared and simply says "you may pass" LOL

Ohh P.S. tell them that "they the acolytes" are not allowed to listen or call that number themselves and if they do there will be consequnces - also whomever listens to it if asked "what did it say" - the target will be too scared to say - aka this adds drama / mystery... have fun

Stay GAMING
Morbid

Edited by MorbidDon