Community Expansion Idea: Runestones!

By Slev, in Talisman Home Brews

Now that the Lost Realms and the Realms Untraveled are out, here’s something else that we could take on as a community project.

Nomad released a set of Runestones as a digital expansion, and Jon re-created these on Talisman Island. The thought is to build on these to make a full expansion, padded out with other “digital conversions” from Talisman Island.

The idea I’ve had for this seems basically sound, although greater minds than mine may see problems or have additional ideas that can grow this.

Main deck, most of these already have cards made up on Talisman Island:

28 Adventure Cards:

2x tde Ape (alternative art)

2x tde Bear (alternative art)

2x tfe Hobgoblin (alternative art)

2x tde Lion (alternative art)

2x tfe Miser Dragon (alternative art)

2x tde Ogre (alternative art)

2x tde Serpent (alternative art)

2x tde Wild Boar (alternative art)

1x Clairvoyant

2x Rune Gate

2x Rune Cache (new)

2x Rune Crafter (new)

2x Runemaster (new)

2x Forgotten Rune (new)

1x Lost Rune (new)

10 Spell Cards:

2x Siphon Craft

2x Lightning Strike

4x Rune Portal (new)

44 Runestones (Original 33, plus second copy of each copper)

The six new cards!

Rune Portal

Spell

You may discard this card instead of your normal Movement. Do not roll the dice. Instead, move to any Runegate or Runes Space currently in play.

Rune Crafter

Stranger

You may purchase Runes here! Draw three cards from the Runestone deck. You may buy one of those Runestones at the following costs: golden rune for 4 Gold, silver rune for 3 Gold, copper Rune for 2 Gold. After you have purchased (or not!) a Runestone, the rest are shuffled into the Runestone deck, and this card wanders off into the discards.

Runemaster

Enemy: Craft 7

If you defeat this Enemy, you may discard the Trophy to gain a Runestone. Draw the top three Runestone Cards. You may keep one of choice.

Rune Cache

Place

Draw the top three Runestone Cards. You may keep the least valuable (copper first, then silver, then gold). If there is more than one with the lowest value, you chose which to keep. After you have claimed a Runestone, the rest are shuffled into the Runestone deck, and this card is placed into the discards.

Forgotten Rune

Object

When you claim this card, instead discard it and draw Runestone cards until you draw a bronze card, which you may keep. Shuffle the rest back into the Runestone Deck.

Lost Rune

Object

When you claim this card, instead discard it and draw Runestone cards until you draw a silver card, which you may keep. Shuffle the rest back into the Runestone Deck.

Three Alternative Endings!

Alternative ending (revealed): Secret of the Runes

*Whenever a new Character enters play, they start with an extra three Gold and may purchase Runes of their choice (golden rune for 3 Gold, silver rune for 2 Gold, copper Rune for 1 Gold) before play and ONLY before play.

*A Character may have up to three Runes at any time. In order to pick up extra Runes, they must discard an existing Rune.

*If a Character carries a Rune, they may place it face down beneath their Character Card to Enchant it. It now has no abilities and does not count for their limit of Runes. It may not be used for any other purpose from now on. If a character dies, their enchanted Runes are discarded

*Whenever a Character enters the Valley of Fire, they lose 8 Life, less 2 Life for every Enchanted Runestone they discard.

The first Character to reach the Crown of Command with an Enchanted Runestone wins the game immediately.

Alternative ending: Power of the Runes

*Whenever a new Character enters play, they start with an extra three Gold and may purchase Runes of their choice (golden rune for 3 Gold, silver rune for 2 Gold, copper Rune for 1 Gold) before play and ONLY before play.

While you are alone on the Crown of Command, you cast the Spell of Runic Power.

When you cast this Spell, every Character (including you), must either discard one Runestone (owner's choice), or lose 1 Life.

Alternative ending (hidden): Truth of the Runes

*When this card is revealed, if one Character has more Runestones than all others, they immediately win the game.

*When this card is revealed, if no one Character has more Runestones than all other, all Characters save those with the joint-most Runestones are eliminated from the game. The remaining Characters are all then summoned to the Crown of Command.

*Once this has happened, if any Character has more Runestones then the others, or is the last Character left standing, they win the game.

I also had notes for a supplementary set of cards, spilling Runestones out into the corner boards (6 each), and to the Treasure (6) & Quest Reward (2) decks. I’ll leave those for the minute!

I like the idea, but think there should be a limit (like the DE) otherwise characters can become unbalanced and too powerful early on. When I want to play a faster game with my children, we draw 3 rune cards from the stack (printed from Jons expansion) but they apply to every character equally.

16 minutes ago, Sithassassin said:

I like the idea, but think there should be a limit (like the DE) otherwise characters can become unbalanced and too powerful early on. When I want to play a faster game with my children, we draw 3 rune cards from the stack (printed from Jons expansion) but they apply to every character equally.

That's quite a nice twist on it :)

6 hours ago, Slev said:

The thought is to build on these to make a full expansion, padded out with other “digital conversions” from Talisman Island.

There are actually a number of other cards that use alternate artwork in Talisman Digital. I'll make them up as my next job and stick them on the site at some point.

2 hours ago, Sithassassin said:

I can always add that variant to the rules sheet. We can likewise put a limit on the number of Runes into the rules sheet, and allow appropriate ending cards to adjust it.

2 hours ago, talismanisland said:

There are actually a number of other cards that use alternate artwork in Talisman Digital. I'll make them up as my next job and stick them on the site at some point.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

There is also a different graphic used for a Talisman, with a slight colour change if it is a Talisman card instead on an Adventure card. I might have to add those just to be a completist...

Assuming you do, that would give us the following counts:

28 Adventure Cards:

2x tde Chimera (alternative art)

2x tde Dragon (alternative art)

2x tde Giant (alternative art)

2x tde Goblin Trapsmith (alternative art)

2x tde Hippogriff (alternative art)

2x tde Wight (alternative art)

1x Clairvoyant

1x tde Academy (alternative art)

1xtde Amulet (alternative art)

1x tde Colossus (alternative art)

1x tde Cursed by a Hag (alternative art)

1x tde Elixir of Might (alternative art)

1x tde Magician (alternative art)

1x tde outlaw (alternative art)

1x tde Witch (alternative art)

1x Clairvoyant

2x Rune Gate

2x Rune Cache

2x Rune Crafter

2x Runemaster

2x Forgotten Rune (bronze Rune Reward)

1x Lost Rune (Silver Rune Reward)

10 Spell Cards:

2x Siphon Craft

2x Lightning Strike

4x Rune Portal

2x tde Mesmerism (alternative art)

2x tde Random (alternative art)

44 Runestones (classic 33, plus second copy of each copper)

4x tde Talisman (alternative Art)

Based on said counts, the number of "gain a rune" cards may be a little low.

I'm considering moving the Treasure and Quest Rewards cards from the "expansion expansion" to the main set, and adding a further 8 other cards that give you Runes.

I'll also note here that in my head, the Characters that Digital added would also sit in this expansion.

The mooted extra cards sheet to re-balance the availability of Runes, which does unfortunately increase the needed art from six pieces to thirteen.

8 Adventure Cards:

2x Rune Warrior

Enemy: Strength 7

If you defeat this Enemy, you may discard the Trophy to gain a Runestone. Draw the top three Runestone Cards. You may keep one of choice.

2x Rune Witch

Enemy Craft 4

If you defeat this Enemy, you may discard the Trophy to gain a Runestone. Draw the Runestone Cards until you find a Copper card, which you may keep. If the deck has no Copper cards left, you keep the Trophy.

2x Living Rune

Enemy Strength 4

If you defeat this Enemy, you may discard the Trophy to gain a Runestone. Draw the Runestone Cards until you find a Copper card, which you may keep. If the deck has no Copper cards left, you keep the Trophy.

1x Well of Power

Place

Discard a Runestone into the Well, which returns to the deck. You may either then:

a) look through the Runestone deck, then pick a Runestone of the same colour.

b) draw Runestone cards until you pick one more valuable than the one you discarded.

In wither case, keep the Runestone you picked and re-shuffle the Runestone Deck.

1x Awakening

Event

Starting with the current player, each player draws Runestone cards at random until they gain a Copper Runestone, which they will keep.

Players who discard a Copper Runestone when discarding this card instead draw a Silver Runestone.

Players who discard a Silver Runestone when discarding this card instead draw a Gold Runestone.

6 Quest Reward Cards

3x Lesser Rune

Draw Runestone cards until you draw a bronze card, which you may keep. Shuffle the rest back into the Runestone Deck.

2x Greater Rune

Draw Runestone cards until you draw a silver card, which you may keep. Shuffle the rest back into the Runestone Deck.

1x Supreme Rune

Draw Runestone cards until you draw a gold card, which you may keep. Shuffle the rest back into the Runestone Deck.

2 Treasure Cards:

1x Rune Key

Object/Trinket

You may discard this card instead of your normal Movement. Do not roll the dice. Instead, move to any Runegate or Runes Space currently in play. If you start at The Runes, you do not have to discard this card.

1x Rune of Desire

Object/Trinket: Discard this card at the start of any turn. When you o, look through the Runestone deck and select any one Rune to keep, then re-shuffle the Runestone Deck.

OK, been through the numbers, the list o' cards:

62 Adventure Cards:

2x tde Chimera (alternative art)

2x tde Dragon (alternative art)

2x tde Giant (alternative art)

2x tde Goblin Trapsmith (alternative art)

2x tde Hippogriff (alternative art)

2x tde Wight (alternative art)

1x tde Clairvoyant

1x tde Academy (alternative art)

1x tde Amulet (alternative art)

1x tde Colossus (alternative art)

1x tde Cursed by a Hag (alternative art)

1x tde Elixir of Might (alternative art)

1x tde Magician (alternative art)

1x tde outlaw (alternative art)

1x tde Witch (alternative art)

1x tde Talisman (alternative art)

1x Clairvoyant

2x Rune Gate*

4x Rune Cache*

2x Rune Crafter*

2x Runemaster*

2x Forgotten Rune*

2x Lost Rune*

2x Rune Warrior*

4x Rune Witch*

4x Living Rune*

1x Well of Power*

1x Awakening*

44 Runestones*

12 Spell Cards:

4x Rune Portal*

2x tde Siphon Craft

2x tde Lightning Strike

2x tde Mesmerism (alternative art)

2x tde Random (alternative art)

2x tde Talisman (alternative art)

6 Quest Reward Cards

3x Lesser Rune

2x Greater Rune

1x Supreme Rune

3 Alternative Endings

Edited by Slev

So we change one of those six varient art talisman cards for a varient art adventure card talisman card...

Updated the revised card list post based on John's work and my "deliberate" mistake.

I've also marked all the rune-specific stuff with an asterisk (*). You will note, if I've added up right, that we can seperate other the tde stuff off without the Runes if desired, and teh expansion would still work! I may look at moving these to another project I'm working on...

Edited by Slev

Just added another Spell that I had forgotten had been "added" by the Nomads to the Digital Edition -

http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=3813