Baratheon opening strategies and mid-game goals

By Saramund, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Orders: option 1 : The Kings Landing opening:

Support+1 Kingswood, march+1 Dragonstone, march Shipbreaker Bay.

Move a ship into Blackwater bay, move your Knight to King's Landing, Footman to Crackclaw point (or Storms End).

Note that this FAILS to a raid or assault on Kingswood by Tyrell.
Try to make a deal with Tyrell before turn 1, that you wont attack each other. (or at least not early on). Offer them however much of the south you need to for this. (Sunspear should be in the offer for them to think about accepting it. Of course, you also promise not to mess with the Reach). It would be in your interest to keep this agreement up to a point where taking the Reach and/or Sunspear would be 7 cities for the win. I am not convinced that its in tyrell's interest to accept this deal, unless you also offer Storm's End. I think Tyrell will naturally go after Baratheon, since thats where the nearby cities are.

Alternately on turn 1 , move Knight to Storm's End, Footman to Crackclaw, ship to Blackwater Bay, and take Kings Landing turn 2, via March+1 on the Knight from Storms End, support+1 from Blackwater Bay. If you do this you can also gather power from Kingswood. Note: if tyrell wants to attack you very early, then they can anyway with this.

If you fear the Tyrell early attack, use support+1 on your ships, move Knight to Storms End, footman to Crackclaw. But then you risk not getting the Critical King's Landing.

Remember that Tyrell has the Sir Loras Tyrell card which is strength 2 and instantly kills a footman!!. If they attack you (or you them) when you have only 1 footman, they can automatically win the battle!

Goals for later : Gather power in Kingswood, Kings Landing,Dragonstone. Try to prevent Tyrell from raiding these. (i.e. place your own raid in Kingswood to protect Kings landing, presuming you are still ahead in turn order). Or get a guy to blackwater who can then do the same.

Getting power and using it to get the sword (while staying high on raven track), will be very helpful! At least, getting ahead of Stark + tyrell (especially Stark) on the fiefdoms track will be helpful. You want to beat Stark out of the Narrow Sea, and from there, if possible, attack their remaining fleet in the Shivering Sea to completely destroy it! If you can wipe out Stark's fleet, you can support/raid support from the eastern sea zones and Crush Stark, giving you cities to win the game. Power, and the Sword, are critical in accomplishing this. Make sure that you muster a bunch of ships. Preferably, get ships in Blackwater bay, Sea of Dome, and multiple in Shipbreaker bay, and then go north to crush Stark.

Alternately , if you cant push Stark out of the Narrow Sea, or Tyrell is attacking you, fight Tyrell over the southern cities (Sunspear, the Reach).

One problem for you is Supply. Mustering ships instead of footmen and spreading them out helps in this respect for awhile, but to get more barrels, go to mountains of the moon or blackwater.

Excerpt from a BoardGameGeek post .

Are you sure you can take King's Landing within the first turn? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in the rules that attacking neutral forces doesn't count as a battle meaning you can't call on support. Thus that Knight with March+1 would only result in a +3 against their 5.

You can use support orders you just can't use house cards

The rules that I have specifically say that you cannot use support when attacking neutral forces. Page 17 Rules Clarification 'Attacking neutral forces".

Rajiii said:

The rules that I have specifically say that you cannot use support when attacking neutral forces. Page 17 Rules Clarification 'Attacking neutral forces".

That rule refers to the possibility of affecting the strength of neutral forces ('you may not use a support order to affect the stength of neutral forces').

In other words, you may not support neutral forces to prevent another player taking the area in question. But the other rules regarding neutral forces (pg 15 of the aGoT rulebook) clearly state your ability to provide support to yourself or another player in his attempt to take an area defended by them. (Not that I'd trust another player to provide any help in taking a neutrally guarded area gui%C3%B1o.gif I couldn't take myself).