Multiple uses of same card per activation

By Squibble, in DOOM: The Board Game

Hi all,

On the off chance there are any old hands from the original FFG DOOM board game forum floating around here, a big hello and merry 2017 to you all.

Now, on topic.

Somewhere I'm sure I came across a note, either in this forum or one of the manuals, in relation to the use of multiple copies of the same card for a character's activation. Is this acceptable?

I'm thinking both in terms of Marine cards (e.g. using 2x up close and personal in a 1 or 2 player game where multiple main actions are permitted) or in terms of event cards which buff a particular invader (such as 2x uses of Hellish Power adding an extra black dice pre attack for a single imp). I'm positive I've read something and it's driving me nuts. The invader side example seems a little OP, but equally, limiting the marine to unique cards can be pretty restrictive on a smaller game.

If multiple uses are permissible, would I be right in saying that Shotgun Maneuver ("After you resolve this card you may play another Combat Shotgun card, treating its speed as "0") thus indicates a possibility to use all three copies of itself in the same turn?

Have I imagined this? I've scoured the forum since and can't find anything. My group is getting together tomorrow for our first 3-4 marine game, having done 2 two-marine play throughs of the tutorial mission. As with most board game fans, I'm a big fan of being right. But I'm genuinely stumped.

Answers on a data-slate.

Edited by Squibble
Omission of info

Marines CAN use multiple copies of the same card, and yes, you can use all 3 of the shotgun maneuver cards in one activation (the last two don't give the Marine any movement points, as spelled out on the card's description, but allow the Marine to perform the additional attacks).

The Invader CAN NOT use multiple copies of the same Event card "at the same time" (nor can they use the same Argent Power multiple times "at the same time"). Keep in mind, the phrase "at the same time" is very important here. The Invader, for instance, cannot use two copies of, Hellish Power to add two black dice during a single attack, but if the Demon is able to perform two attacks during his activation (such as the Revenant), he may use one card to empower EACH attack. Similarly, the Revenant can use his Homing Missile argent ability once on EACH of his two attacks. For more clarification on this particular rule, you can look up "Timing" on page 19 of the Rule book.

Edit: Found the rule regarding multiple uses of abilites/event cards at the same time on the very first page of the Rules Reference:

Players cannot use the same ability more than once at the same time.

- The invader cannot spend multiple Argent Power tokens to use the same ability more than once during a single attack.

- If the invader plays two copies of the same event card at the same time, he can only resolve the effect on one of those cards. (For example, the invader cannot resolve a second copy of "Demonic Resiliance" to add a second ? while defending.)

Edited by Demax51

Cracking! Thanks. Fortunately that's how we played it over the weekend.

I felt kind of bad as the invader when I beat the marines on black bishop with a crippled revenant and single imp. Those boney fellas really do have some damage output! Hoping for lots more return matches and the chance to set one of my group up as invader for a change.

Edited by Squibble