Rotation timing question

By swooshfinn, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

So did Rotation occur with the release of Daedalus Complex or will it occur later?

Rotation will occur when the first pack of the next cycle is released. At that point, the Genesis and Spin cycles will rotate out.

So the Red Sands Cycle will play out in full before then.

So we are approaching the end of Howard Jackson.

But then again there is the Legacy system that is coming out before it.

What Legacy system?

Meaning Terminal Directive, I assume, which has a Legacy-like mechanic of hidden packs of cards and stickers.

Jackson Howard will be missed for sure. Though I've noticed a bunch of cards creeping in that kind of do what he does, though not as instantly and with such ease and panache. :D

Edited by Dodd81

Given that Terminal Directive's Legacy mechanic is entirely a shorthand for their stickers and campaign-only mechanics specific to that story-based scenario, I am at a complete loss as to what Marinealver could possibly be referring to as to how that interacts with rotation. "Legacy" does not refer to an Eternal tournament format.

I think Marinealver is talking about the new cards I heard we're going to get from the game. I thought it was going to be current cards with different art, but I think I read some where these are new cards. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They're all new cards in Terminal Directive.

The Cards are tournament legal too?

Two PAD sheets, one sticker sheet, one rulebook, and four data sets of campaign cards and stickers allow you to track your progress, even as the expansion provides a massive infusion to your standard, tournament-legal Android: Netrunner matches with 163 new cards (86 Corp and 77 Runner) divided between the Criminal, Shaper, Haas-Bioroid, and Weyland Consortium factions, as well as neutral. With its four new identities and a complete playset of each new player card, Terminal Directive comes with everything you need to grab your Core Set and enjoy a thrilling campaign full of cyberstruggles and meaningful decisions.

Hello All

New to the game but a question for packs cycling out does the starter(core set) or the deluxe expansions cycle out. If so how do you know which expansions are aloud to be used.

Thanks

The core set and deluxe expansions will not rotate out. Only the Data Packs will, beginning with the Genesis and Spin cycles.

And rotation only effects competitive play. Causaual games at your store or home can use whatever card sets you agree upon

On 2/27/2017 at 10:48 AM, Dodd81 said:

Meaning Terminal Directive, I assume, which has a Legacy-like mechanic of hidden packs of cards and stickers.

Jackson Howard will be missed for sure. Though I've noticed a bunch of cards creeping in that kind of do what he does, though not as instantly and with such ease and panache. :D

OK this is the part of card gaming I don't get. Whats the point of taking out a card only to replace with cards that do the same thing?

For the record, I still haven't found a way to play the game on a day to day bases so I have next to no game play experiences, so I don't know what I'd be missing if I couldn't play Jackson Howard lol

Well, here's the thing. It's not "the same thing" as such. It's a niche of a game function that exists because of how the game operates. Jackson Howard is a card with low influence cost, great rez-to-trash ratio, no cost of activation, and at paid ability speed. He was a man. Take him for all in all. I shall not look upon his like again.

JH did several things for the corp:

• Raw draw power
  • Recursion - i.e. getting stuff out of discard for reuse.
  • mitigating Agenda flood.

Now, all of those things are necessary for the game. Doing anything more efficiently than one per click, be it draw, credits, advancing, trashing resources, is what card effects are in large part meant to do. It's not hard to beat that baseline. Likewise there are many cards that have already been published that provide recursion for the corporation. In theory we could do without it but it adds a lot of flexibility if those effects exist.

The last one is tricky. It's a necessary part of the game, because the requirement that the corp must put X points of agendas in their deck and must draw 1 card per turn means that the agendas are going to come out. If they come out at any rate faster than you can get them either scored or put somewhere safe, and if the management of that task starts to displace your ability to execute your preferred strategy, then you have agenda flood. And because randomness tends not to be an even distribution on small scales such as the size of a deck, or whatever portion of it gets drawn during a game, you're going to have days when you get no agendas and days when you get so many agendas.

What do you do with them? With Jackson on the board, it's not that tricky. Install Jackson, overdraw your hand, pitch the agendas into archives, shuffle them back into the deck at the opportune moment. Without Jackson, what do you do when you've got 4 agendas in HQ and you don't have a scoring window? Well, we've got other solutions. Special Report shuffles them back in and gives you hopefully fewer agendas than you started with. Preemptive Action lets you shuffle 3 cards back into your deck from Archives, but it has to be on your turn, it costs one of your clicks, it takes up space in HQ until you're ready to use it, and it must be done at the end of your turn. Nowhere near as flexible as Jackson.

So, the point of rotation is not to just reintroduce new cards that do the same thing as old cards. We'll never get "Johnson Harvard" that does the same as the old standby. The point is to introduce new designs that play with the basic aspects of the game in new ways, and require new strategies and new techniques to use. Not least because Jackson Howard was undeniably one of the most powerful cards in the game, and once he's gone the corporations are going to have to make do with replacements that serve part of what he did, but not all.

Edited by Grimwalker

@Grimwalker Wow that's for the info. That makes a lot of sense.