Which expansion to buy first?

By Tseitsei, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello all Descent fans here! :)

I and my friends have played all but the final quest of Descent: Journeys in the Dark, and I thought I'd buy an expansion when we've finished the final quest of the game. There are many expansions for the game and what I'm asking is that does it matter in which order do we play the expansions? I think I will buy the Well of Darkness first as it's the first expansion published but otherwise when looking at the rules Altar of Despair for example seems to be slightly more exciting.

So what do you guys think? Does it matter if I skip Well of Darkness and buy Altar of Despair, or is it recommended to play the expansions in the order they were published?

Thanks in advance! :)

Tseitsei

None of the expansions require any of the other ones, they are all playable solely with the base game. In fact, all of the quests in Altar of Despair, Well of Darkness and Tomb of Ice have no rules for including monsters or props from the other expansions, and not even maps that require them. The expansions themselves have rules for incorporating stuff from them into earlier expansions and the base game.

Road to Legend and Seas of Blood, the two campaign style expansions, include rules for using monsters from the other expansions, and have some maps that require some other expansions, but these are easily skipped. Tomb of Ice also includes some additional rules for Road to Legend, but you can ignore these if you like. So even these two can be played easily completely without any other expansions.

Stuff like heroes and treasures that is in nearly every expansion is never duplicate, too. You merely get more of it (wee!) with every added expansion. Sometimes there's errata reprints, but nothing the FAQ wouldn't mention.

So in short, it doesn't really matter in what order you get the expansions, and whether you get them all or only a few of them. Pick and choose whatever appeals to you happy.gif