Palpatine & "This Die"

By CBMarkham, in Star Wars: Destiny

So in the spoiler, Palpatine says "After you resolve this die, force an opponent to deal 2 damage to their characters, distributed as they wish".

I was of the opinion that "this die" only referred to the character die, specifically. I thought this was the ruling we'd agreed on with Leia and Veers and that it was all pretty clear. I've seen some people interpret the above wording on Palpatine to mean that anytime you resolve any die attached to Palpatine, your opponent has to choose and distribute 2 damage, including like...resolving a Sith Holocron that was attached to ol' Palps.

What do you guys think? Does "this die" refer to the character die only, or will Palpatine's upgrades also benefit from his inherent character ability? If anyone has a ruling of a rules reference, that would be appreciated.

My thought was it triggers once for each character die and not at all for upgrade dice.

Read 'Inherent Dice Abilities,' RRG page 16. The use of 'this die' means that the die is inherently linked to that specific card.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH
5 minutes ago, WonderWAAAGH said:

Read 'Inherent Dice Abilities,' RRG page 16. The use of 'this die' means that the die is inherently linked to that specific card.

I did read that, and while I'm inclined to agree with you, that rules printed on that page didn't settle it for me 100%. Or rather, even though I read them as you do, I'm not 100% that I could convince someone else, based on what's printed there.

In the examples in that paragraph, it says that cards and upgrades using such phrasing refer only to themselves, but dice never really come into the explanation. That "this die" on a character would refer to the dice of that character seems obvious to me, but I had a hard time convincing someone, yesterday.

It's clear as mud, but I'm pretty sure there's an implied relationship between 'this die' and its card. It's the best example of templating we have that covers this particular scenario.

To rephrase: the use of 'this die' indicates an ability - either static or triggered - that is considered to be part of the die itself . It's written on the card for reference purposes, because you cannot actually write an ability on the die itself. The ability is 'inherent' to the die, not the card , which is why it doesn't matter where the card is (i.e., the discard pile for upgrades or supports).

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

I find it very thematic and cool that using Guardian 'AKA' Obi Wan, does not allow the opponent to resolve their die = avoiding the extra damage.