Help, Ideas for Storing Map tiles

By kujoe1988, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

With the newest expansion out I need a new form of storage for the Map tiles. What are people using??? Looking for any ideas and pictures or links would be an added bonus. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to have this problem with all the options we have now for this great game. Looking forward to the next box. Can't wait to hear from you all!

I store mine in 3-ring binders like the one below. I use clear plastic sheet covers for larger tiles and then different-sized-photograph sheets for mid-sized tiles, and then business card sheets for the smallest tiles (though you can use a pencil pouch for those as well). I can fit all of the tiles, the rule books, and the skirmish maps in two of these binders.

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Mighty-3-Inch-Zipper-D-146-BLU/dp/B01EUPCLDY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487187897&sr=8-2&keywords=case+logic+binder

-ryanjamal

Edited by ryanjamal

I have each set stored separately, because every mission needs tiles only from upto 2 sets.

I have a Return to Hoth box with an upside-down and refolded insert to make one bigger compartment and a side compartment. The larger one holds the big tiles of core the smaller one the endcaps and other smaller tiles and doors.

I do the highly technical plastic bags. 1-10, 11-19, 20-29 and so on. I also have each set in separate bags. It's not that fancy laser cut storage or a binder but I can hand the bags out to the rebel scum and make them build their own graveyard...I mean battlefield.

12 hours ago, cikeo said:

I do the highly technical plastic bags. 1-10, 11-19, 20-29 and so on. I also have each set in separate bags. It's not that fancy laser cut storage or a binder but I can hand the bags out to the rebel scum and make them build their own graveyard...I mean battlefield.

That's exactly what I do, except I've sorted them roughly by size as well so I have bags like Jabba's Realm 6–12 or Return to Hoth 15–19 etc. It might not be as elegant as a binder, but it's worked well for me so far.

Edited by Villakarvarousku

Bags. Hoth small, Hoth medium, 1x2 end, 1x2 open, 2x2, 3x3, 4x(1-4), 5+x1-2, 5+x3+. Hopefully it won't matter but everything but the boxes is waterproof.

Edited by Union

I've got all the smaller tiles and corridors bundled together and sorted by type in various compartments. The large tiles are grouped by expansion and stored in the Hoth box with dividers. At the moment the dividers are just blank a4 pages. I have been thinking of replacing that with stackable trays.

I store my tiles in a CD binder. Seperated by sets, then in order by number within the sets. The tiles to big to fit in the binder are stored in another binder where I keep rulebooks.

612ZmDQl5wL._SL1200_.jpg

On 2/15/2017 at 1:47 PM, ryanjamal said:

I store mine in 3-ring binders like the one below. I use clear plastic sheet covers for larger tiles and then different-sized-photograph sheets for mid-sized tiles, and then business card sheets for the smallest tiles (though you can use a pencil pouch for those as well). I can fit all of the tiles, the rule books, and the skirmish maps in two of these binders.

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Mighty-3-Inch-Zipper-D-146-BLU/dp/B01EUPCLDY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487187897&sr=8-2&keywords=case+logic+binder

-ryanjamal

That's exactly what I use but I think I need to upgrade to the 4" size.

Ryanjamal I think those binders are the greatest thing since sliced bread ?

I also use the CD binder, I can fit every single tile from the core and all expansions into one binder except I think 6 or 7 of the really large ones. Those I just keep in a zip loc bag in a second compartment binder that holds all of the rule books/campaign books/skirmish maps etc..

The binder has really cut down on map building, I can generally have the previous map cleaned up and the new one in place with deployment cards before my Rebels have even finished up grading. Also switching to binder page format for deployment/class cards has been a huge upgrade as well. I would do separate binders for the small and big cards though so you can just toss the binder to them and let them look through it for their characters and then pull out/replace the necessary deployment, mission and agenda cards as you build the map.

Thanks for responding to this, guys. I know I'm not the OP but I'd been meaning to ask this very question.

I have been using the cd wallet idea, but I found that it was getting way to thick, with all the tiles in it, to close properly, plus the tiles were starting to warp pretty badly.

It's not the most space efficient solution, but I found 2, 3, 6, and 8 pocket binder pages like these that make it really quick to find the tiles you need. I stack them 3-4 to a pocket in numerical order.

IMG_1389s.jpg

I like the pocket binder idea just above :)

Currently I only play Skirmish and my stuff is organised as a couple above, in zip bags for 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, Twin Shadows, Hoth, Bespin, Jabba.

I normally buy the Skirmish maps so really all I need is the latest skirmish map that isn't released yet (Currently Anchorhead Cantina) bagged up separately.

Having said that my friend made this for me recently so I don't tend to carry round any loose tiles at all.

C3WCuTGXUAAFN9h.jpg:large

I had a binder with different sized pages and then got lazy. I have all my tiles now in the top of my Plano case in bags. I split the core set 1-18 and 19-x, all other tiles are in a single bag per set. Fits great in the top of my case and I have room for another couple tile sets. I usually only play skirmish though so those relevant tiles are in my skirmish tournament box.

As far as bending goes, I haven't found that myself in the CD cases, but when I store them I always open up the zipper and let the book stay open on the shelf. I only close it up for transport which is usually less than a few hours. I could see it harming them long term though depending on the binder. You could solve this by spacing them out over two binders, but currently core + every expansion fits in one binder with pages left for me.

On 2/20/2017 at 11:57 PM, ReoitahiKid said:

It's not the most space efficient solution, but I found 2, 3, 6, and 8 pocket binder pages like these that make it really quick to find the tiles you need. I stack them 3-4 to a pocket in numerical order.

IMG_1389s.jpg

Where did you find these, and what are they called? Also, would a KeyForge deck fit in each pocket? If so, then sleeved or unsleeved?