Interesting storage solution

By Mep, in Star Wars: Destiny

Battlefoam came out with storage solution for Destiny.

http://us.battlefoam.com/c4-p-a-c-k-c4-bag-2-0-star-wars-destiny-load-out/

I really like that the case has a back compartment with a 3 ring binder built in to store cards. The foam seems a bit gimmicky but functional. I think it would be better with two full dice foams and skip out on dice roll tray and 3rd deck storage. That would get the dice count up to 216 and match what the binder can hold better.

I've never owned one of Battlefoam's cases before. Are they any good? Anyone have any experience with one of their cases with the built in 3 ring binder? Any good?

It's a bit on the pricey side but still a lot cheap than eVader. :rolleyes:

Yeah not bad but I would only want it for dice storage so I would only order it with 4 of the dice only layers which I dont see how to do. Lost sale

I think you can probably email them and ask about the dice layers, supposing you were interested enough in the first place.

As to the quality of BattleFoam, I've only heard good things. Personally, my days of toting around an Ultra PRO man-purse are over, so while this appears to be a good storage solution for an entire collection, I'd prefer something smaller and encapsulated for dragging a single deck + dice to the store and back.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

I think it can only fit 3 foam trays from what I can tell in the description. 3 full foam trays can hold more dice than the included binder can hold cards. There are two half sized ones by default, which makes one full insert. I would actually like something bigger that can hold 5-6 dice trays plus enough card storage to handle enough cards in far excess of those dice. Feldherr is coming out with one of their foam inserts. I can stick that into my x-wing bag at least for a tournament tray.

Can't say this is the perfect storage solution, just better than all the others I've seen.

I think the Feldherr solution may be the best option for me as well, at least I want to check it out. I liked the Zen Bin approach, but since I'm using this for storage and not deck transport, the two card bays in each tray take away too much space for dice (only holds 18 dice). I thought about preordering the Feldherr Mini-Plus case, but shipping from Germany more than doubled the cost. So, I'm going to wait until these become available on Amazon before making a purchase.

It takes forever for Amazon to get the Fledherr stuff. The Shadowcaster came out at the end of Sept. The foam for that finally showed up on Amazon last week. I ordered one and I never got it. Now it is back ordered until who knows when. I think I'll just order up the shadow caster, destiny and some armada foam when they are available, or maybe wait until the upsilon is available too.

Might be able to find a naked case on amazon though.

Battlefoam is like a BMW, it's way into luxury pricing but you get what you pay for. I use one of their pack 216's for xwing transport and have never regretted it. Very solid build quality, love the foam it's solid but has some give (feldherr is too squishy for my liking but that is personal prefference), and the cases are by far the best I have seen.

That all being said, these dice trays are no beuno. The C4 case is a decent choice for travel as it's size is pretty comparable to a purse but as anyone who has done a pluck route with these inserts can attest the longer you make the hole the weaker the integrity of the whole thing without added space between them. I don't like the idea of them clacking around in there either. You have to fill a void completely or get no protection. A much better route would have been more, smaller holes for 2 dice and a bit more room (just a bit) between them to give the whole thing better stability. Never liked storing cards in foam either but those options atleast are very plentiful. Really like the foam dice rolling tray I may buy that seperate just to have one, quiet and reduces table scratches and nicks to nothing.

Edited by LordFajubi

I like that the rows are smaller than the dice so the dice shouldn't move around in them. I was looking at some of the other foam for miniatures and a lot had 1" x 2" holes which hold 2 dice well, but they can move. This was going to be the same problem with pluckfoam. The holes would either be 1/2" or 1" wide which is too skinny or two wide in my opinion. The Battlefoam holes are 3/4" x 3 1/2" or 19mm x 89mm. The dice are about 21mm-22mm which means the sides will compress a bit to hold them in place.

I went to buy the stuff, seemed pretty good.

$34 for the bag and an extra foam bit. $36 postage to Australia.

On 2/12/2017 at 6:16 AM, RookiePilot said:

I think the Feldherr solution may be the best option for me as well, at least I want to check it out. I liked the Zen Bin approach, but since I'm using this for storage and not deck transport, the two card bays in each tray take away too much space for dice (only holds 18 dice). I thought about preordering the Feldherr Mini-Plus case, but shipping from Germany more than doubled the cost. So, I'm going to wait until these become available on Amazon before making a purchase.

I just received this Feldherr product (ordered directly from their website) and am very happy with it. It includes 7 trays, which will hold 504 dice, enough for 3 full sets plus extras.

Feldherr Hard Case 252 Infantry

1 hour ago, ZenClix said:

I just received this Feldherr product (ordered directly from their website) and am very happy with it. It includes 7 trays, which will hold 504 dice, enough for 3 full sets plus extras.

Feldherr Hard Case 252 Infantry

I have one of the bags that has 5 trays. I like the hard case better, wish they were available via Amazon.

Hmmm, you know, Feldherr has those cardboard boxes which hold their foam. Have some for armada. They actually fit a 3 ring binder inside. So you can place 3 layers of foam, that would be 6 of their 40 dice foam trays, and 1.5 inch 3 ring binder inside for under $45, will there is shipping on top of that. I need to find a good box that holds their foam domestically as their cardboard is very flimsy and their hard case is expensive and I hate to think what the shipping is. Even still, one could fit 7 layers of dice (560) and a couple 1 inch binders inside. The cost is stupid high on that though.

39 minutes ago, Mep said:

Hmmm, you know, Feldherr has those cardboard boxes which hold their foam. Have some for armada. They actually fit a 3 ring binder inside. So you can place 3 layers of foam, that would be 6 of their 40 dice foam trays, and 1.5 inch 3 ring binder inside for under $45, will there is shipping on top of that. I need to find a good box that holds their foam domestically as their cardboard is very flimsy and their hard case is expensive and I hate to think what the shipping is. Even still, one could fit 7 layers of dice (560) and a couple 1 inch binders inside. The cost is stupid high on that though.

Think something like that would be great for collection storage. Have a case per set.

For use though, I'm looking at custom foam that holds 20 dice. Want to put that into hard container with something on lid to hold the deck.

Cast aluminum case with press fit lid and etched/cast design of my face on the cover; my expression would be one of grumpy cat and the words "Play Again?" Below.

Never have liked hauling around thousands of dollars of a collection. What I did in other games was have one or two main decks that I liked with a sidebar of 5-10 cards I was testing.

Going to also have a binder/box for rares and legendaries I can trade. Not going to keep track of commons/starters/uncomms for trading.

Edited by Keigi
3 minutes ago, Keigi said:

Think something like that would be great for collection storage. Have a case per set.

For use though, I'm looking at custom foam that holds 20 dice. Want to put that into hard container with something on lid to hold the deck.

Never have liked hauling around thousands of dollars of a collection. What I did in other games was have one or two main decks that I liked with a sidebar of 5-10 cards I was testing.

Going to also have a binder/box for rares and legendaries I can trade. Not going to keep track of commons/starters/uncomms for trading.

Oh I agree, this is purely for gross set storage. For more practical deck transport, I have been pretty happy with this item by Battle Foam:

Battle Foam Destiny Mini Pak

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, ZenClix said:

Oh I agree, this is purely for gross set storage. For more practical deck transport, I have been pretty happy with this item by Battle Foam:

Battle Foam Destiny Mini Pak

Thanks!

Not a fan of the dice rubbing, and those walls will wars out over time. Single hole for single die; with little recession in side for picking out. No mixing!

You can already see them deforming from the fatigue in the video.

Edited by Keigi