Shoretrooper Outfitting

By Ghostofman, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

So I want to pull in new content for my campaign, and Shoretroopers seem like a nice option.

I'm thinking the actual term "Shoretrooper" refers to troops equipped for jungle and other hot, humid, and wet conditions in addition to actual coastal locations. Otherwise thier utility is kinda limited...

Stats it's not bad... Standard stormtrooper statline, with the addition of Survival as a group skill.

But gear I'm a little less sure.

I'm thinking armor could be adverse environment gear with 2 soak instead of one maybe? Is there any other special features of thier armor mentioned?

What's the E-22 though? Giving a blaster rifle "linked 1" seems like a bad idea. And blast doesn't feel right. Maybe accurate? Or autofire with inaccurate and cumbersome 3?

Any other special gear they are said to carry?

Don't forget the Resilience group skill that other specialty corps troopers have. You could have the rules look something like this:

Shoretrooper Armor: "+2 soak; When making skill checks, shoretroopers may remove [Setback][Setback] imposed due to wet or hot environmental conditions."

Individuals or groups may be equipped with E-22 blaster rifles.

As for the E-22 stats themselves, since it's described on the Wookieepedia as being more powerful, you could add 1 to the standard blaster rifle damage, but make it so that it can overheat on something around 3-4 threat (or a despair), damaging it a step.

24 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

Yeah I don't see the rifle having the linked quality too bad. No more powerful than giving a stormtrooper group a repeating blaster as recommended in the EotE adversary section. The rifle in the link seems pretty apt. Adverse gear modified works well too. I made a stat block just cuz, with the E-22. You can always substitute a regular blaster rifle if you want.

shoretrooper2.png

The now canon Ultimate Visual Guide has shoretroopers being veterans selected from standard Stormtroopers.

I've been considering using them as the elite defensive Stormtroopers protecting important surface installations. But, it doesn't explain why we didn't see them later on Endor. I just don't like them being Beach Troopers. That's way too specific for me. Should we also create Tundra Troopers when Snowtroopers aren't quite called for?

I've also toyed with shoretroopers being a generic term for any elite surface assault troopers per their description in the Ultimate Visual Guide (as in shore = slang for a planet's surface). Thus, perhaps desert and snow troopers are of the same ilk, just in different gear based upon the surface environment they are being deployed to. But, it would be a step away from what past and current canon is inferring.

Edited by Sturn

Compare to the swamptroopers. I suppose shoretroopers could be slated for extended combat operations in tropical, overgrown, and humid climates, while swamptroopers are more for reconnaissance and scouting.

15 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

Compare to the swamptroopers. I suppose shoretroopers could be slated for extended combat operations in tropical, overgrown, and humid climates, while swamptroopers are more for reconnaissance and scouting.

This is what I meant. I don't need a stormtrooper for every single type of terrain in my SW universe. I actually almost used "swamptrooper" in my example above without realizing that had been covered already. Just a few basic types is enough for me. I don't need Swamptrooper, Beach Trooper, Forest Trooper, Jungle Trooper, Hill Trooper, Mountain Trooper, Desert Trooper, Thicket Trooper, Tundra Trooper, Snowtrooper, Urban Trooper, Tunnel Trooper, ad nauseam.

14 minutes ago, Sturn said:

This is what I meant. I don't need a stormtrooper for every single type of terrain in my SW universe. I actually almost used "swamptrooper" in my example above without realizing that had been covered already. Just a few basic types is enough for me. I don't need Swamptrooper, Beach Trooper, Forest Trooper, Jungle Trooper, Hill Trooper, Mountain Trooper, Desert Trooper, Thicket Trooper, Tundra Trooper, Snowtrooper, Urban Trooper, Tunnel Trooper, ad nauseam.

Well Swamptroopers are no longer cannon, so Shoretroopers could be their replacement, rather than yet another type of stormtrooper specialty.

The Shoretrooper helmet seems almost like a proto-Scout trooper helmet. Perhaps the Shoretroopers are a version of Legends' Storm Commandos.

29 minutes ago, Sturn said:

For the record, I was more making a comment to the thread, rather than a direct reply to you.

21 hours ago, Imperial Stormtrooper said:

As for the E-22 stats themselves, since it's described on the Wookieepedia as being more powerful, you could add 1 to the standard blaster rifle damage, but make it so that it can overheat on something around 3-4 threat (or a despair), damaging it a step.

I plan to (for the most part) keep the -22's as Special weapons for Sgts and stuff, but I'm not warm and fuzzy having lootable linked rifles. So giving it a low/no HP and your "gets hot" idea sounds like it might work.

Thanks.

18 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

If I do ever use swamptroopers they'll just be an alternative kit for Shoretroopers. They have too similar a mission.

2 hours ago, Oden Gebhac said:

The Shoretrooper helmet seems almost like a proto-Scout trooper helmet. Perhaps the Shoretroopers are a version of Legends' Storm Commandos.

Storm commandos are already very much a thing in my campaign, so for my universe they are clear and separate branches.

I generally consider almost all of the terrain-varied storm trooper types to be largely issued equipment variations rather than distinct units.

5 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

I plan to (for the most part) keep the -22's as Special weapons for Sgts and stuff, but I'm not warm and fuzzy having lootable linked rifles. So giving it a low/no HP and your "gets hot" idea sounds like it might work.

Thanks.

If I do ever use swamptroopers they'll just be an alternative kit for Shoretroopers. They have too similar a mission.

Storm commandos are already very much a thing in my campaign, so for my universe they are clear and separate branches.

Genelock?

Article: Stormtrooper

The above link has over 10 "Specialized stormtroopers" that are trained and equipped for a variety of battlefield and environmental conditions.

I see this mostly as taking promising veterans of a "standard" stormtrooper unit and giving them additional training and specialized gear for increased operational effectiveness in specific field (reflected in game terms with more skilled troops and specialized equipment).

I don't see too many of these units outside of fixed planetary bases where it makes sense to have them (for instance deploy Sandtroopers on desert Imperial worlds of high value as garrison troops protecting a secret R& lab or facility), I would not expect them to be deployed on every ISD or capital ship where such specialized units are not needed.

I would expect them to be deployed on ships that are designed as rapid reaction forces, that are on specific missions (for example deploy Seatroopers to locate a hidden rebel base believed to be in an underwater cavern), and as part of a larger military operation in conjunction with the Imperial Army.

As for the OP:
Coastal defender stormtroopers : Stormtroopers more commonly known as shoretroopers that were trained and equipped to operate in coastal and tropical regions, such as those found on Scarif .

Coastal and tropical regions sounds like a specialized environmental condition where these specialized troops make sense. The E-22 with either additional damage or accuracy sounds good, and removing a setback dice under those environmental conditions seams reasonable.

I don’t have the book on hand, but the SW Rogue One Visual guide goes into details on their equipment, perhaps some inspiration can be found there?