Prototype Decks

By Amanal, in Star Wars: Destiny

When I played Battletech CCG or WOW I used to test my decks by playing them blind and getting a feel for how the draws and play of cards would prove out.

How do you test a deck to see if the cards work and play well with one another in Destiny? I find the most efficient play of cards has given me some bad habits.

Edited by Amanal

Testing is made difficult because of the dice. You can use different coloured d6 easily enough, but the game becomes hard to 'read' and also you have to know which d6 corresponds to which card...

You can build the deck here: http://swdestinydb.com/

That link will allow you to build a deck and do test draws. First, you'll have to create an account and tell the system what cards you own, as only those cards will be available for deck building.

Then, once you're testing your draws, you can use this webpage to test your rolls: http://dice.swdestiny.com/

I set very high thresholds for the results I'm testing for and then see if the deck can meet them. The thresholds are much higher than the actual output I'd expect in a game with an opponent who was interfering. I normally test a deck on the performance during the first two critical turns of a match.

4 hours ago, CBMarkham said:

I set very high thresholds for the results I'm testing for and then see if the deck can meet them. The thresholds are much higher than the actual output I'd expect in a game with an opponent who was interfering. I normally test a deck on the performance during the first two critical turns of a match.

This is probably more of what I want, do you test in a game, or do you have some other method?

Do a combination:

I'll dry play a deck and keep track of how much damage or discards I force. You maximize one of the two. It works great in testing mill decks. Dry running a deck gives a feel of how it will play.

I'll also do statistics on dice rolls for different character, support, and upgrade combinations. For example is power of the dark side (potds) or supporting fire better with elite phasma to maximize damage; potds Is.

Another great example, lots of phasma love here, is elite phasma with commanding presence and two IQ-11A sniper rifles. Maximizing damage, she can deal seven or more damage a turn over 50% of the time; only grevious beats this beast.

The problem is not having an opponent. You could play match ups against yourself, or use the solo gaming kit, but it's not the same.

Which leads me to:

Play testing against good players is the best way to test decks.

Edited by Keigi