Ultra-Spoiler?

By venkelos, in Rogue Trader

Warning!!! This might be spoiler-territory, for if you actively play Warhammer 40,000, and/or keep up on their current material. The next chunk of Cadia Falls is pretty important.

So... Guilliman is back... I bet there will be some people who are excited; I fall into that category, though I'm still not sure how great he'll actually be, and I surmise many people will be like "well, of course they chose the ULTRAMARINES Primarch!" A greater number, though, probably just won't care. One funny thing, at least to me, was that, in my cheese-fluff, I was going to have him eventually come back, too, and I was ALSO going to use the Eldar, as a way to revive him, so it seems sort of weird that I was, ever so vaguely, correct. It'll be interesting to see what a REAL Primarch is capable of, compared to everything else (Magnus is awesome, of course, but he's also a super-psyker Daemon Primarch, so I'll expect some slight differences.)

Once his book comes out, I'll have to see if it could be possible to field him with a unit of Custodes, just to have the "ultimate bodyguards".

If this is somehow spoilers, I apologize, but it's all over GW's webpage, so it's all public knowledge. I also know it is only very tangentally related to RT, and that only to me, but you all are my primary 40k chat people, so I thought I'd get this in, while the forum is still here. Please have a great one, everybody!!!

Edited by venkelos

If you can bring one primarch back he's probably the best choice.

I'm surprised they didn't go for someone flashier but from an imperial loyalist view its a great choice.

Would have been better if they had picked a Primarch that isn't already confirmed dead, or one that has a prophecy in the lore stating that they would come back at a time of greatest need. Though I guess such small details like prior lore or established canon are secondary to GW nowadays.

Edited by SCKoNi
10 hours ago, venkelos said:

Warning!!! This might be spoiler-territory, for if you actively play Warhammer 40,000, and/or keep up on their current material. The next chunk of Cadia Falls is pretty important.

So... Guilliman is back... I bet there will be some people who are excited; I fall into that category, though I'm still not sure how great he'll actually be, and I surmise many people will be like "well, of course they chose the ULTRAMARINES Primarch!" A greater number, though, probably just won't care. One funny thing, at least to me, was that, in my cheese-fluff, I was going to have him eventually come back, too, and I was ALSO going to use the Eldar, as a way to revive him, so it seems sort of weird that I was, ever so vaguely, correct. It'll be interesting to see what a REAL Primarch is capable of, compared to everything else (Magnus is awesome, of course, but he's also a super-psyker Daemon Primarch, so I'll expect some slight differences.)

Once his book comes out, I'll have to see if it could be possible to field him with a unit of Custodes, just to have the "ultimate bodyguards".

If this is somehow spoilers, I apologize, but it's all over GW's webpage, so it's all public knowledge. I also know it is only very tangentally related to RT, and that only to me, but you all are my primary 40k chat people, so I thought I'd get this in, while the forum is still here. Please have a great one, everybody!!!

Yes on the custodes. Robot Gillman already has the emperor's sword (dad doesn't use it any more anyway), he might aswell have the custodians to.

GW has released a rules pdf for using the SOS and custodians from the burning of Prospero box set in regular 40k games: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Datasheets/Burning of Prospero Imperial Datasheets.pdf

First pic I saw was the helmeted option. And I go: "Roboute with a helmet? Are we sure it's him? Maybe could it be...Alpharius!?" (Dan dan daaaaan!)

and then I saw the one without the helmet and I was like: "Ah crap it is Guiliman!"

I think most of us, regarding 1st primarch to return, had our money on either the Wolf or the Lion. Ah well.

I hope when Russ get's back it's in the form of some giant wolf/ wulfen Primarch.

Honestly I was more shocked when the Eldar (semi) woke up Ynnead. Primarch are one thing , but an actual god... And an Eldar god at that, last time that happened it was Slaanesh and we all know how that changed the galaxy.

Edited by Robin Graves
5 hours ago, SCKoNi said:

Would have been better if they had picked a Primarch that isn't already confirmed dead, or one that has a prophecy in the lore stating that they would come back at a time of greatest need. Though I guess such small details like prior lore or established canon are secondary to GW nowadays.

Meh, The fluff always stated his wounds were supposed to be healing inside the stasis field (wich shouldn't be possible I know...) Guess it actually worked.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor i got better

And besides Matt ward is back at GW, You just knew the first primarch he'd bring back was papa Smurf...

On 05.02.2017 at 5:01 PM, venkelos said:

So... Guilliman is back... I bet there will be some people who are excited; I fall into that category, though I'm still not sure how great he'll actually be, and I surmise many people will be like "well, of course they chose the ULTRAMARINES Primarch!"

One funny thing, at least to me, was that, in my cheese-fluff, I was going to have him eventually come back, too, and I was ALSO going to use the Eldar, as a way to revive him, so it seems sort of weird that I was, ever so vaguely, correct.

The choice was less than surprising, indeed.

As to the Eldar - much the same happened in Tales of the Emperasque (except, well, personal participation of the Emperasque ).

On 06.02.2017 at 3:27 AM, Robin Graves said:

First pic I saw was the helmeted option. And I go: "Roboute with a helmet? Are we sure it's him? Maybe could it be...Alpharius!?" (Dan dan daaaaan!)

Of course that's what he would do. Roboute is a meticulous chessmaster rather than "WAAGH!" type. "I'm going to do that by the book, even if I'll have to write it myself!" :D

I guess we'll find this out when the 3d book of the gathering storm (The unexpected but inevitable and much hoped for glorious return of the mighty Roboutte Guilliman, last of the primarchs and saviour of the universe) is released, but from what I've gathered it's this: The eldar bring forth the avatar of their new god, then the 3 new eldar characters go rescue the 3 new imperial characters and then they travel trough the webway to Ultramar...

Now my question is: did the Eldar use their hocus pocus tech to bring back gulliman or did St. Celestine use her miraculous resurection abilities and go "Wake up Roboutte! In your father's name, stand and fight!"

Or did Cawl use wathever he's been lugging about with him for the whole of fall of Cadia, and go "It's alive! Aliiiiive! They said I was mad, but who's mad now?! He's alive!"

Sort of making this up, I assume that the new Eldar revived Guilliman, using their hocus pocus, and power over life and death, while Cawl supplied him with his new armor, and maybe some bionic upgrades, to get him back up to speed, after nine millennia of motionlessness, and Celestine, I hate to downplay her importance, after they made her pretty cool, and hyped her up, while wiping out Cadia, and sort of killing off the character, at least, of Creed, and his men, is probably there, mostly, to give the appearance of an Emperor's miracle; a credibility to Guilliman's return, and a trustworthy soul to help catch him up on some things. Her presence might portray that the Emperor is okay with how things are being conducted (aide from xenos, Cypher not being shot, etc.)

It's sort of funny, but, other than scale, I still might like the 30K FW Guilliman model more, though it always looks like "just the size of an Astartes" to me, compared to some of the others, in the HH Character line, and I assume Guilliman is the same relative proportions to most of his brother Primarchs.

2 hours ago, venkelos said:

Sort of making this up, I assume that the new Eldar revived Guilliman, using their hocus pocus, and power over life and death, while Cawl supplied him with his new armor, and maybe some bionic upgrades, to get him back up to speed, after nine millennia of motionlessness, and Celestine, I hate to downplay her importance, after they made her pretty cool, and hyped her up, while wiping out Cadia, and sort of killing off the character, at least, of Creed, and his men, is probably there, mostly, to give the appearance of an Emperor's miracle; a credibility to Guilliman's return, and a trustworthy soul to help catch him up on some things. Her presence might portray that the Emperor is okay with how things are being conducted (aide from xenos, Cypher not being shot, etc.)

It's sort of funny, but, other than scale, I still might like the 30K FW Guilliman model more, though it always looks like "just the size of an Astartes" to me, compared to some of the others, in the HH Character line, and I assume Guilliman is the same relative proportions to most of his brother Primarchs.

Cypher is definatly interesting since, I've seen pics of him with roboutte and units of ultrasmurfs and grey Knights, as well as a unit of fallen.

Gerelateerde afbeelding

So they are the good guys... I guess. Things will get very interesting if they run into any dark angels tough.

DA: "I've found Cypher! Target aquired, send in the deathwing! For the lion! KILL THE FALLEN!"

Guilliman: "*ahem* And what do you think you're doing?"

DA: "Who are you to interfere in the ways of the Dark Angels, tall one? Stand aside or face our wrath!"

G: *takes of helmet* "I'm Roboutte Guilliman. Primarch and genefather of the 13th legiones astartes and Lord of Ultramar and the 500 worlds. Son of the Emperor and brother to Lion El Johnson!"

DA: "Aaaah! Zombie primarch!"

G: "Oh for feck sake! I'm not a zombie! And what do you want with Cypher here?"

DA: "Err...He bad. He's what we call a "Fallen" and we gotta catch them all. For... reasons."

Cypher: "Back off! Or I'll tell my big blue buddy every dirty Dark Angel secret!"

G: "What secret?"

DA: "We have no secrets!"

C: "During the heresy lio-"

DA: "Aaaah! O'ntday entionmay hetay eresyhay!"

G: "That's it. I'm going back into stasis."

Edited by Robin Graves
2 hours ago, venkelos said:

You are not alone, Ven: Everyone likes the FW model better. Well except me, but that's because I'm alergic to scenic bases and the forge world one comes with half a greek temple.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor roboute guilliman gw

Seriously, that's a piece of terrain by itself! The guy should count as permanently being in cover.

Also the new one looks vaguely like Trump ...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor roboute guilliman gw

"Let's make the imperium great again!"

while the old one looks more like Putin:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor roboute guilliman forgeworld

So any thoughts on where this is all headed? Real change and wipeout for some or will the whole thing resolve back to the old status quo?

Think the Necrons will come out to complain about Chaos messing with their fence (the pylon) like the cranky old folks they are?

I'm thinking this isn't the WH40K version of Age of Sigmar (or my favourite version 'Sigmars big day out!' ) since the figures still sell well.

1 hour ago, Bheader said:

So any thoughts on where this is all headed? Real change and wipeout for some or will the whole thing resolve back to the old status quo?

Think the Necrons will come out to complain about Chaos messing with their fence (the pylon) like the cranky old folks they are?

I'm thinking this isn't the WH40K version of Age of Sigmar (or my favourite version 'Sigmars big day out!' ) since the figures still sell well.

Kinda hard to go back to status quo with minus one splanet, plus one eldar god, and you know, guilliman comming out of cold storage...

Let's all hope this doesn't turn into Age of Emperor.

I do wich the bad guys get some new stuff aswell in any upcomming books, so far it's eldar +3 characters, the imperium +6 chars. And what does chaos get? Failbaddon finaly wrecks cadia. Atleast Warzone fenris 2 gave us Magnus.

I have an idea about where it could al be headed but it's slightly heretical: Roboute and the ultras vs the ecclesiarchy/high lord of terra. Think Horus Heresy 2.0. Just imagine it: Guiiliman is disgusted with the state of current day imperium, and his dad told him to smash and burn anything that even resembled religion. Guess what he's gonna do to the ecclesiarchy? And consider this: What if every (well let's say 90%) marine chapter that decended from the ultramarines (or has roboutte's seed) declares for him? Horus had half of the legions of old. Guilliman will have 3/4th of all chapters.

I don't think Guilliman will openly smash the Ecclesiarchy; he's a statesman, first, and will at least try to look like he has the best intentions of the Imperium, at heart. Not to poo poo on his daddy, but the Emperor was WRONG, and ignoring Chaos out of existence didn't, and wouldn't work; people do need something greater than themselves to believe in. I think Guilliman will know this, and let the Ecclesiarchy stick around, for a bit. It might get a face lift, but not its face pushed in, and certainly not till after the war is won, which Guilliman is in no danger of doing, even without Chaos getting any new stuff, yet. No matter how flawed, it is integral to the very way many humans live their day to day lives, and to take it away, before defeating Abaddon's gambit, would only make things that much worse for Guilliman, and the Imperium, while doing it later, after it "worked", and they won, might not fly, either. I won't fanboy for him, but he's not imminently stupid, even if Matt Ward did get his job back.

My problem for Chaos is, what to give them? Yet one more variety of daemon for each Chaos God? Abaddon doesn't really need a new model, unless he's FINALLY prepared to become a Daemon Prince of Chaos United, and there's always the risk, among the minis, of "well, where was that , before?" I don't play Chaos, so I also don't really know what the army is missing, other than many Space Marine options, for being Chaos SPACE MARINES, but they do get Daemons, and some interesting vehicles, plus some "similar, but different" quality.

Moar chaos primarchs! Honestly having seen the rules for the new Eldar special characters and their stat lines, daemon primarchs aren't that op. (seriously, eldar balgown cat lady has WS8 BS 8!) What I really want is nw models for the greater daemons of Slaanesh and Nurgle, Some daemonic invasion rules that give them something unqiue - I mean, a lot of armies now have deepstrike a lot units stuff. And abby needs a new model, Kharn and Ahriman also had briliant models in the 90s and they recently got new ones, so why not failbaddon? And the guy need massive stat boosts, he's just some bloke in termy armor who ends up dying to his own sword quite a lot. And he's suposed to be the chosen one of chaos?

Oh and I want dark mechancius if possible. But what I really want is traitor guard regiments. And more beastmen (whe got Tzaangors now, thak you GW) but I want more.

And maybe some new slaaneshi daemons. Something that sais: "We're not abandoning Slaanesh, the guy who wrote that in AOS has been fired, here are some new models!"

As someone on BOLS pointed out: the Eldar have a better daemon (the avatar of ynnead) than chaos. And that's true (holy scary stat line batman!)

You know GW is running out of ideas when...

... they finally look like they MIGHT wrap up the Cypher storyline.....

On 11/02/2017 at 7:21 AM, venkelos said:

I don't think Guilliman will openly smash the Ecclesiarchy; he's a statesman, first, and will at least try to look like he has the best intentions of the Imperium, at heart. Not to poo poo on his daddy, but the Emperor was WRONG, and ignoring Chaos out of existence didn't, and wouldn't work; people do need something greater than themselves to believe in. I think Guilliman will know this, and let the Ecclesiarchy stick around, for a bit. It might get a face lift, but not its face pushed in, and certainly not till after the war is won, which Guilliman is in no danger of doing, even without Chaos getting any new stuff, yet. No matter how flawed, it is integral to the very way many humans live their day to day lives, and to take it away, before defeating Abaddon's gambit, would only make things that much worse for Guilliman, and the Imperium, while doing it later, after it "worked", and they won, might not fly, either. I won't fanboy for him, but he's not imminently stupid, even if Matt Ward did get his job back.

I think that the Emperor would be wrong NOW about denying Chaos, but I'm not convinced he was wrong at the dawn of the Horus Heresy. Either His plans involved still relying on all of this happening, or He really over-estimated just how loyal his Primarchs would be.

If Guilliman is resurrected by the Eldar like everyone's assuming, it would be interesting if the Ecclesiarchy denounced him as a puppet of the Xenos and no longer a true son of the Emperor.

I'm thinking the whole 'Gathering Storm' story arc leads to the release of 40k 8th Edition around mid-year.

22 hours ago, Erathia said:

I think that the Emperor would be wrong NOW about denying Chaos, but I'm not convinced he was wrong at the dawn of the Horus Heresy. Either His plans involved still relying on all of this happening, or He really over-estimated just how loyal his Primarchs would be.

If Guilliman is resurrected by the Eldar like everyone's assuming, it would be interesting if the Ecclesiarchy denounced him as a puppet of the Xenos and no longer a true son of the Emperor.

From what I've seen of the teasers it's actually Belisaruius Cawl who does "something" to bring back guilliman. With Cawl being about 10.000 years old, I'd like to think this was all planned by Roboutte at the end of the Heresy:

RG: "Cawl, in case I become mortally wounded and placed in a stasis device, I need you to wait a few thousnad years for my wounds to heal and then come revive me ok?"

C: "Thinking ahead. Very good. But what if you are not just wounded but actually killed? What do I do then?"

RG: "Don't worry about that, I have some else ready to take care of things in that situation."

C: "Seriously?"

RG: "Oh yeah I got plans for everything! Alpharius eat your heart out!"

I'm still sort of thinking it was the Eldar that bring him back. They have this whole mechanic for the the followers of Ynnead where they can regain lost wounds, in the presence of death, so maybe they used their space magic to give Guilliman some of his wounds back, while Cawl monitored the stasis device, to ensure it wouldn't mess things up, OR sop working, if this crazy xeno-magic failed, and then tweaked up Guilliman's armor (I know he was frozen in stasis, but he might still be a bit stiff, and depleted, needing his new suit to support him, and his image as a super-superhuman. That said, I don't know, and will eagerly wait till March, but this way sort of means Guilliman is tied to the Eldar in a way that, even having fought in the Great Crusade, he might be hard-pressed to cast the Eldar aside, and have the Imperium stand alone. I know that the GW people often like to freeze their story, and that the AdMech likes to hoard their best stuff, but there have been any number of times where having a living Primarch might've been very helpful, and no one stepped forth to say they could bring him back, while the Eldar just wouldn't, but now it is convenient for them to, so they do.