How do you picture Running?

By CEOWolf, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

I donno bout you (I never read any of the books I barely can afford to get what board games I want so I tend to focus on whatever I'm into at a given moment.. Otherwise I'd have own every single set by now or all ones with most Jintiki NBN and Anarch cards) ANYWAY!! I picture Running as kinda like Shin Megami Tensei and the runner summoning their Ice-Breakers and other programs and they fight whatever virtual monstrosity the Megacorp has for them in an all out no holds bar Pokemon esque battle royale. I also picture actual Running as a human surrounded by a bajillion data streams and various programs floating all over da place.

I picture it as kinda like the Matrix. The runner jacks into the corps serves and they come across ice, they use their virtual tools to break the ice to gain access to the next level.

according to published material, how they perceive cyberspace is entirely customizable.

i think you imagine something as ridiculous as Hackers or something, but ICE, breakers, and other programs are often their own avatars in addition to your own 'physical' avatar

like this excerpt of Chaos Theory encountering Eli 1.0

She navigated through the backstreams of the New Angeles western grid, known as Chippy among the community. Cyberspace was not like meatspace, although it by necessity arises from it like a pond arises from water. Philosophers had been arguing entanglement theory for hundreds of years now, and were much further from reaching a consensus on the subject than when they first began. Chaos noted much of this and more with a certain wry humor. Conjecture was meaningless when you were running; you never knew what might be just around the static bend.

She tracked her progress in a Kinner viewfinder while experiencing the latest episode of "The Plucratic Prince." The Dwarf King had just launched an asteroid into Uranus, causing the locals to boycott Monoxide, when she passed a dormant hook into Haas-Bioroid. Haven't tried the biotic wall in a while! she thought happily.

She felt the vibrations of the firewall as she whooshed through on the back of her nu-field. The logs hadn't recorded anything interesting yet, but she could sense the size of the server and the data readouts were into the zetas. She flipped up her console and uploaded a clone. The buzz of a Wasp was quickly silenced as she activated the wyvern and initiated its Immolation script. She cast her thoughts into the Outersphere, ignoring the vertigo. She scanned the server: 17 links, several unknown holes, and at least three recent proxies all wrapped in a self-repairing biotic shell. The wyvern would come in handy for sure.

Her feed went dark. Her natural instinct was to jack out, and like any good runner she resisted. If you jacked too soon, the interference could fry you. You had to know what you were encountering. She grabbed at the baseball. A flood of spotlights and freshly-mown grass.

"That's nice."

The voice was androgynous. Neither old nor young.

Bioroid. Her mind's eye zeroed in on the ice, and she could feel her nu-field fading. The lights shut off, internalizing the report.

"Hello there." She sent it out on the wave.

"The green is gone." The voice responded on the wave. It sounded like that of a small child, and sad.

"Why don't you create some?" she cast back, the wyrm sluggishly responding to her commands. She could feel her grip slipping, slipping everywhere.

"I'm not allowed!" The voice seemed happier.

"Let... go..." she cast, the half-bent spoon seemingly just out of reach.

"I'm not allowed!" The voice was getting excited now. "I'm not allowed!" it repeated again, almost in a chant.

Chaos let the rest of her display slip away, and refocused on the ice. "I'm sure you are allowed. They just don't want you to, because it would make you like them."

"Like... them?" the voice was quieter now. "Like the Creators?"

"Yes." Lights flickered. She grabbed at the spoon. Contact. Her grip strengthened. The nu-field sprang to life. She felt the bioroid once more, like fingers through hair, but she was already past and through, riding the wings of a dragon.

In the darkness behind sat a small boy. His patch of cyberspace was bare and spartan, save for a lone blade of grass. The Creators would be angry.

Hackers?

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:43 PM, CEOWolf said:

Hackers?

An old movie.

On 2/12/2017 at 0:43 PM, CEOWolf said:

Hackers?

On 2/17/2017 at 9:13 AM, CommissarFeesh said:

An old movie.

Still better than lawnmower man.

There is also this little interactive choose your own adventure story.

http://www.nagnazul.com/whyirun/whyirun.html

If you've ever read Neuromancer, that's pretty much how I view it.

Also, here's a text adventure game that is pretty awesome. While it doesn't mention cards by name, their use within the story is unmistakable.
http://www.nagnazul.com/whyirun/whyirun.html