Organized Play Kits?

By anthonybarnstable, in Star Wars: Destiny

How many kits could each store order for a given quarter?

Have we heard anything about the Quarter 2 Organized Play Kit yet?

We hold one tournament a month, so we have 2 for now. there are enough cards/tokens to supply 2 tournaments in a kit.

My local store got 2 initially and then 6 more last week.

From what I understand, each store can order as many kits as they want or can afford. If I remember correctly, the kits cost the store $30 each.

What do the kits even come with?

25 minutes ago, theagentcoma said:

What do the kits even come with?

depends, kit to kit

the recent one contains Alternate art Aurebesh Kylo Ren, Resource tokens and i think it was aurebesh tie fighters?? correct me if i'm wrong

next kit will likely contain either acrylic shield or damage tokens

That's what I remember what the prizes were for our tournament. Sadly no product to do drafts or as prizes for weekly tournaments.

I'm curious to know why there hasn't been much transparency about the upcoming kits for Destiny. They announced that the Q3 kits are available for purchase, but we still don't know what's in store for Q2. :huh:

On 2/4/2017 at 3:42 PM, WonderWAAAGH said:

I'm curious to know why there hasn't been much transparency about the upcoming kits for Destiny. They announced that the Q3 kits are available for purchase, but we still don't know what's in store for Q2. :huh:

Things have changed a little since the Asmodee merge and the acrylic Cluster Mines fiasco in X wing. Contents of OP kits now seem to be announced AFTER they've been shipped to distributors, instead of weeks or months ahead of time as used to be the norm. The Contents of Q1 kits were announced just before Christmas, only about a week before they were scheduled to be playable. They open preorders early to meet production demand (seems ironic), but wait much longer to tell you exactly what you're ordering. We will likely find out the Q2 kit contents in late March.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/23/2017-quarter-1-tournament-kit-prizes/

4 hours ago, Engine25 said:

Things have changed a little since the Asmodee merge and the acrylic Cluster Mines fiasco in X wing. Contents of OP kits now seem to be announced AFTER they've been shipped to distributors, instead of weeks or months ahead of time as used to be the norm. The Contents of Q1 kits were announced just before Christmas, only about a week before they were scheduled to be playable. They open preorders early to meet production demand (seems ironic), but wait much longer to tell you exactly what you're ordering. We will likely find out the Q2 kit contents in late March.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/23/2017-quarter-1-tournament-kit-prizes/

What was the cluster mines fiasco?

Just now, anthonybarnstable said:

What was the cluster mines fiasco?

In the kits for a numerous major event last year, (Store Championships or Regionals, don't recall) one of the prizes for top rankers was a set of acrylic Cluster Mines tokens. With most tokens in X-wing, exact dimensions are irrelevant and some companies even create ones that are different shapes than the ones in the box. However, mine tokens are essentially obstacles with additional effects that your ship can fly over. X-wing is a game of millimeters. As such, the tokens have to be sized exactly right. The Acrylic Cluster Mines were about 2 millimeters too small in diameter when compared to the original cardboard counterparts, which removes quite a bit of surface area around the rim, as Cluster Mine token groups are fairly large. So, eight players in each of a huge number of events were given useless and valueless promos that would otherwise be functional in game as well as worth a fair amount of resell value on the aftermarket. Each player had to contact the manufacturer and be reissued correctly sized tokens, which took several months to receive.

After that, a new company has been producing the acrylic promos for all FFG products, and the style is noticeably different. Most of them are opaque now, instead of the translucent previous style. Some still look quite nice, like the Acrylic Conner Net tokens which actually have the Conner Net art printed onto the backside of the acrylic, and are correctly sized and shaped. Others are a little disappointing, like the doors and crates for Imperial Assault. Simple, opaque gray with gray etchings.