Dividing the corner boards

By Bludgeon, in Talisman Home Brews

Need some help.

I'm trying to make a new kind of enemies to populate the corner boards. Not enemy type, but rather a new mechanic. The idea is to have enemies that are stronger if encountered deeper into a region.

I was thinking about dividing each corner board into three distinct "sub regions", for the purpose of those new cards. I need names for those.

0790d8b3d0e3a809med.png

Then I can simply have cards like:

Highlander

Enemy - Monster

Strength 3

Highlander adds 2 to his Strength if in blue zone in the Hightland, or 4 if he is in the red zone in the Highland.

Can't think of a good generic name for those "zones" (or even if term zone is a good fit). I also don't know if they should be generic across all corners or should each corner have specific names for each of its zones)

Also, ideas for any kind of cards using this mechanic are welcome. Objects Spells whatever.

Edited by Bludgeon

Right now I have these, but I don't like the names so need your help.

4f248bd0b27b3a9bmed.png c5de50c41c8dc70bmed.png 98aa19d6df55f650med.png

Near, Far and Distant
So, Near highlands, etc.

If you want a name for the sub-region mechanic itself, I'll be of less elp right now...

I'm thinking

- Entry Part (of Highland etc)

- Middle Part (of Highland etc)

- Far Part (of Highland etc)

Nice idea. Heres my thoughts:-

Entry Level

Distant Level

Remote Level or

Entry Level

Moderate Level

Advanced Level.

This would tie in with your idea of things getting tougher the deeper/higher you go.

or you could substitute the word level for track,pathway,corridor,passage or route

:)

I'd just go with Inner, Middle and Outer to be honest. It's tried and tested and is in use every game. For differentiating between core and corners, you can just use Inner Region, Inner Dungeon etc.

30 minutes ago, talismanisland said:

I'd just go with Inner, Middle and Outer to be honest. It's tried and tested and is in use every game. For differentiating between core and corners, you can just use Inner Region, Inner Dungeon etc.

Wouldn't that potentially confuse people?

You'd have inner region being a region, while inner dungeon not being a region.

Not only that, but in which order do you name them? If you go outer first, then inner is on the outside. If you go outer first, then inner is easiest and outer is hardest. Both solutions work against players' preconcieved notions.

Edited by Bludgeon

Not really. I can see why people might think that, but in play I can't see it being an issue.

Inner Region is a Region. Inner Dungeon is part of Dungeon.

Sadly, even FFG have considered certain thing a bit much for players. Like having a Werewolf PC as well as a Werewolf NPC.

I don't believe Inner is allied with a harder difficulty. It's just related to where it is (though I understand what you mean).

Rather than make cards, why not just adjust the board accordingly? Divide the corner board however you want - ALL enemies in the Entry part are as is, in the Middle they are +X and in the Deepest part are +X? I think this would be far simpler and you could add cards to the decks if desired.

Furthermore, you could make a sub category of enemies, something like "enemy - regional" and all regional enemies are +X in certain zones of the corner. Again, I think this may be an easier way to implement it.

Any thoughts on what you would do for the woodlands and city?

I don't want this to affect all enemies, just a few.

I think I will limit this mechanic to Highland and maybe Dungeon. Woodland definitely doesn't need more rules with its light/dark fate enemies. And as for the City I have ratmen enemies in the deck with their own special rules.

I gave the matter some thought and decided to simplify this. No sub-region names, instead simple binary effect:

92b027c3918558bbmed.png 01c5ffa926456f75med.png

Interesting mechanics, even for the lore of the Highland. When you head the summit of the mountain, enemies are gradually stronger.

The name for sub-region was nice. I would name them high-mountain and low-mountain

For the highland you could name the regions Base, Middle and Summit.

Dungeon could be Shallow, Middle and Deep.

Woodland could be Open, Sparse and Thick/Dense.

Collectively you could refer to them as Sectors.