The Cataclysm (real life)

By JediKnightAmoeba, in Talisman

So, this past week, one of our dogs that has a fair bit of anxiety broke out of her crate while we were out and decided one of my Talisman boxes on the bookcase was a great bit of fun to pull down and rip apart. Just so happens that this was the box that has all the cards for all of the expansions in it... sigh

After a week of not being able to look at it and having thrown it in a laundry basket, I finally surveyed the damage:

Total losses:

• Dungeon board adventure cards
  • Highland board adventure cards
  • Omen deck(s)
  • All but 2 Terrain cards
  • Homebrew expansion Timescape cards
  • Firelands adventure cards

Mostly destroyed:

• Bloodmoon adventure deck cards
  • Sacred pool adventure deck cards
  • Reaper adventure deck cards
  • Frost March adventure deck cards
  • 50 cards from the main game- adventure deck

Mostly OK:

• Surprisingly only 3 cards from the City expansion were ruined
  • Only 2 Woodlands cards were ruined
  • Only lost 5 spell cards out of all of them
  • Nothing from the Dragon expansion was lost!
  • Both the Nether realm and deep realm decks were unscathed

I keep all the components separated in 4 of the boxes - Boards - Tokens and Miniatures - Reward cards and others with the rules - All adventure decks. She got the adventure deck box.

I can replace some of the cards since I know how to make cards but to replace all of them is just too much. Now that Talisman is essentially discontinued and I am a poor folk, this is going to increase the difficulty in replacing these - Looks like I need to buy The Cataclysm, Firelands, Dungeon, Highlands, Bloodmoon, Sacred Pool, Reaper, Harbinger Frost March and the Main game again...

This was one of the few games I have left after my house burned down a few years ago so I will replace it eventually but it looks like it won't be played for a long while.

But out of curiosity is there anyone out there that has any extra cards for sale? I know some have mentioned buying multiple sets, so maybe you have the decks from those? Doesn't hurt to ask....

Funny enough though, two of the cards from the main game that were destroyed were cursed by a hag AND the poltergeist. lol

P.S. The dog is still alive. But I would be willing to trade her for Talisman stuff. She is a black, 120 lb great dane. She is potty trained but has some separation problems.

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba

OH no! I had dog problems with my game too - but only a few cards. Yours had a complete nuclear meltdown.

I don't have anything I can offer except my sincere condolences. Hope you can patch together your collection.

I have a number of spare cards, from a few expansions, but certainly not all of them.

If you fancy compiling a list of cards that you are missing, and send it over to me I can have a look what I have.

You could also fire a quick message over to FFG's customer service, as they won't really be able to do a lot with any oddments they have left after February.

57 minutes ago, talismanisland said:

You could also fire a quick message over to FFG's customer service, as they won't really be able to do a lot with any oddments they have left after February.

I can vouch for their fantastic customer service. They sent me replacements without hesitation and at no cost. Obviously, you are dealing with a much larger scale however.

Thanks for the advice. I contacted customer service the other day, sent some pictures along - but miracles rarely happen... But who knows, maybe they have some extra inventory of cards I can buy since they will be purging their inventory. Fingers crossed!

On 1/31/2017 at 3:28 PM, chemical22 said:

OH no! I had dog problems with my game too - but only a few cards. Yours had a complete nuclear meltdown.

I don't have anything I can offer except my sincere condolences. Hope you can patch together your collection.

I remember that, considering the game is on its way out though, not the best time for this to happen.

12 hours ago, JediKnightAmoeba said:

Thanks for the advice. I contacted customer service the other day, sent some pictures along - but miracles rarely happen... But who knows, maybe they have some extra inventory of cards I can buy since they will be purging their inventory. Fingers crossed!

Best of luck! Let us know how it works out for you.

12 hours ago, JediKnightAmoeba said:

I remember that, considering the game is on its way out though, not the best time for this to happen.

Or the bright side is they could be sitting on a bunch of bits and bites that they cannot sell. So it might be perfect timing.

I have heard this story too often. I had a friend whose dog ate his D&D cartoon DVDs. I would never ever let an animal near my stuff. Anyone who loses stuff to an animal always has this risk, and the risk is great. I love dogs, but if I had a dog, I would have it outside.

Just read this post. OMG. Nearly brought me to tears. That's so friggin rough, dude! :(

I just wanted to follow up - My work has had me running rampant and I have not had any free time. Despite messaging FFG twice they never even bothered to respond to me about my plight, which is a bummer, I was expecting a "sorry, but sorry we can't help" response - not getting any response leaves me a little bitter.

I stopped at a few gaming stores and managed to pick up the main game and the dungeon expansion for retail prices but the rest are proving impossible to find. I am really not in a position to pay the inflated prices being offered right now so I guess I will hold out and hope I can find them somewhere down the line... Thanks for the sympathies :-P

That's a b*gger, and quite unusual to be honest. Maybe it would be worth a follow up?

If not, though I do not have "spares" of all cards, I know I do have at least some of the decks that you are probably looking for (and hopefully I have not destroyed any required cards by using stickers on them!)

Can you email me with a list of cards you need and I'll see what I actually have?