Component Question

By Cobaltofdoom, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

So couple questions on 2 components

1. Cypra Pattern Drive (Koronus)

2. Shadow Field. (Hostile)

They each mention a +15 and a +20 to silent running rolls but -15 and -20 "to detect"

Just to be totally clear, does it mean on a contested roll you get +15 and your enemy get -15 giving you 3 degrees of success almost right off the bat?

Or is it if you're using it you get +15 to silent but suffer -15 to your augur readings?

The first seems insanely powerful while the second would seem to make sense, I mean if you're running a shadow field it should probably scatter your sensors as well.

Thoughts?

No, they grant the bonus and a negative to detect. This is because the Active Augury Action to detect a starship is not an Opposed Test, instead the ship attempting the detection simply needs to succeed to find the silent running vessel.

So out of the *many* rolls that depends on beating the number of degrees of success the opposition has this is not one of them?

So if you get 4 degrees of success hiding and later when someone is trying to detect you it can just get 3 degrees and win?

Edited by Cobaltofdoom

They can get just the Standard Success and still succeed, the wording of Active Augury is quite clear. Your DoS on the Silent Running test are pretty much inconsequential and don't really do anything mechanically.

Active_Augury.JPG

That's really interesting. I wonder why they did it that way instead of making it opposed.

Is it considered that ships often or always have active augs on or just when they are specifically hunting or looking at things?

Active Augury is a specific action that needs to be ordered by the captain, not something happening all the time. This is why Silent Running is so powerful normally, as most ships will not be performing a costly, energy-wise, action at all times.

I think what they were going for is that while a vessel on Silent Running might hide itself from passive sensors, actively searching for a 1km+ long piece of metal in space is pretty easy once you actually get down to it. Although even then, most crews will need one or two turns of Active Augury to succeed considering their Rating.

Cool ta :)