Ship Crew

By warbow, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Instead of Crew being 30 or 40, i give them small upgrades as they work together ect. So a 30 crew that goes into a hard battle may get +1 to its crew rating and become a 31, ect. ect. (I don't think this is a normal rule but it's been a while since I played. )

I tend to like Roleplaying their skill improvements rather than just purchasing them.

So going to the effort to either have the VM/RT train the bridge crew or officers, go through drills and such, or hiring veteran Navy/IG to do the same.

I would limit training to having a cap of 30 or 40 - only real battle experience will get you beyond this.

Conversely if people don't schedule regular drills you could start taking points off the crew rating if its over 40?

20 hours ago, Bheader said:

I would limit training to having a cap of 30 or 40 - only real battle experience will get you beyond this.

Conversely if people don't schedule regular drills you could start taking points off the crew rating if its over 40?

I'm very inclined to agree with this. If I look in the few books that have NPC Rogue Traders, and their ships (Lure, Edge, and two Warpstorm books, by my reckoning), many of them have 30, or 40 CR; two in Edge have 50. These include some of the richest, most powerful Rogue Traders in the Expanse, such as Winterscale, Chorda, and Saul, and the military-minded ones, like Bastille, and Armengarde. If their "limitless" money, and personal experience, can't get much better CR, it seems sort of odd to buy it, as players. Besides, PCs can purchase their Abilities up, and this quickly makes them the best ship in any fight, when the best Winterscale is pulling, RAW, is 40 +/- any bonuses from the ship. Surprised he doesn't have CR 50, but he DOES have a Grand Cruiser, so maybe that was a balancing effort, by the book.

On 1/28/2017 at 8:06 PM, Bheader said:

Generic training is covered by Crew Improvements upgrade (Best) which gives +5 to CR.

You could rule that Upkeep Tests must be made for it in certain circumstances, mostly when the crew is replenished (crew loss gives penalty already).

Perhaps with bonus, but also penalty proportional to Crew Pop difference and adjustment for quality of the newcomers (cheap workforce from dirtside needs more training than void-born from a station… even if they are willing and relatively honest).