Taking Damage

By Guest, in Star Wars: Destiny

My question is, if im dealing damage do i decide where the damage goes, or does my opponent?

Or unless the card says choose a character and deal x damage, my opponent decides who he takes the damage on?

When resolving damage dice, you decide where the damage goes (the player dealing the damage).

The way we have played it. Unless the card says choose a target, your opponent gets to decide where to take the damage.

Its made very competitive and fun games this way!

Whats the point in choose target rule if i can choose anyway?

For melee and range damage the rules say:

"Deals damage to a character equal to the value of the symbol."

Notice it doesn't say, deal damage to an opponents character, which means if you wanted to you could deal damage to one of your own characters. It also means if the target player chooses the character, there is nothing that says it can't be dealt to one of the dealers characters, and clearly that is wrong.

The person performing the dice action chooses the character that receives the damage.

While on a thread about taking damage... I wanted to confirm something.

• If an effect says take 5 damage. On a character with 3. Character dies. Was he dealt 3 or 5?
  • If something tells me to distribute 3 damage amongst my characters. One of my chars has one health. Can I declare "I distribute 3 damage to this character" and killing him/her ("soaking up 2")?

Anything above the character's max health is ignored for tracking its current health total, but I'm not sure that properly addresses your first question, especially in relation to the answer for your second question. You can assign excess damage to characters when given the option (like with F-11D). The rules also say that "damage not taken is still dealt," further muddling the issue. I guess he would have been dealt 5, but the lowest his life total went down to was 0.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH