SoB and hero / treachery changes from RtL FAQ

By haslo, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I was wondering how you guys handled this. There's a few cards that are removed for advanced campaigns in the RtL FAQ, namely the following (leaving aside the skill cards):

• Karnon (hero)
  • Arvel Worldwalker (hero)
  • Rolling Stone (trap treachery)
  • Poltergeist (event treachery)
  • Crushing Blow (event treachery, limited to one out of two)

I don't see the treachery cards (apart from Poltergeist maybe) as being so much less powerful in SoB than they were in RtL, and the heroes still have the specific advantage / disadvantage in the relation of skills (and feats) to dice. So do you remove these things from an SoB campaign as well?

Yes, I would say that the listed treachery cards should also be removed/limited in SoB. However, I don't see anywhere where those two heroes are not allowed in RtL.

Wait...where did you see that Arvel and Karnon were removed from RtL?

As for the rest, I don't know. Having no cards in Lts battles is going to remove the main problem with Crushing Blow however.

Karnon I think was removed in one of the previous FAQs, but then that got removed in a later FAQ (I vaguely recall some discussion about wondering why he should be removed).

I was wondering that myself, there is no mention of removing Treachery cards from the OL's deck in SoB, which was made long after the FAQ ruling to remove certain cards. I kind of assumed they felt with all the skill changes and the removal of OL cards in Lt encounters, they felt all the Treachery cards were okay, so when we start our campaign, we're going to leave it as such.

-shnar

Huh, I don't remember anything about him being removed. I vaguely recollect something about Karnon possibly starting RtL without a skill.

Karnon and Avrel, addmittedly, don't quite work with RtL RAW, with Karnon being over-powered and Avrel being weakened.

It's a simple matter to house rule this to fix the power-levels caused by the odd skill/power dice combos:

• change from "draw your skills, discard all but one" to "draw your skills, discard two"*;
  • add a first skill buy at 500 money and 10XP;
  • Change Arvel's ability from actual numbers to modifiers - that is, she draws one extra Feat when a Glyph is activated, and her hand size in increased by one*.

This doesn't affect other characters, powers down Karnon to the same level as other Characters, and brings Arvel up likewise to normal power level.

*this also has the added bonus of proofing that rule against other items that would modify it.

Hm, maybe I was wrong about those two characters, or remembered them being removed by some house rule. When we did play an RtL campaign a few months ago, removing them felt right, but with those changes it makes sense to keep them. Thanks everybody, and Slev in particular.

Poltergeist was removed in RtL due to that one bridge level IIRC, Crushing Blow because of whining of heroes, and Rolling Stone because it can crush the whole party and can thus feel overpowered. I guess they're fine for the most part indeed though, and will use them in the SoB campaign we plan to start then. More options = good happy.gif