It can be possible a Core that not rotate?

By Sazadek, in Star Wars: Destiny

I was thinking about it the last week. For it example: Hearthstone has a Core and cards Expansions like the last one streets of gadgetzan; and in the case of Destiny, when the advertisement Spirit of Rebellion it come in 2ยบ quarter of 2017, and makes me ask: This is gonna to be like Mtg, expansions with 4 months of time and then go to shoe box because "this is not standar"? Will Have a Core that no rotate?

It's too early to tell, but I'm really hopeful that cards don't rotate out of "standard play". If that happens, I'm done. I'm not interested in a game where you might as well throw away your entire collection every year or so. It's one of the things I absolutely hate about Magic and the main reason I will never buy another pack.

A plausible solution is to release smaller expansions instead of 160 new cards, maybe 80?

In all honesty, in order to keep the idea of a meta fresh, they will need to rotate stuff eventually. The cost factor should hopefully go down once the supply issue gets resolved.

A plausible solution is to release smaller expansions instead of 160 new cards, maybe 80?

In all honesty, in order to keep the idea of a meta fresh, they will need to rotate stuff eventually. The cost factor should hopefully go down once the supply issue gets resolved.

I disagree that cards will HAVE to be retired to keep the meta fresh. MTG does what it does to sell more cards, and for no other reason. FFG does not have a history of doing this with their LCGs.

I don't disagree, but if the game takes off further, I mean they'd have to come up with something to shake up the lists. I guess until this comes to pass, all we can do is speculate.

I disagree that cards will HAVE to be retired to keep the meta fresh. MTG does what it does to sell more cards, and for no other reason. FFG does not have a history of doing this with their LCGs.

In all fairness, one of the main points of an LCG is that the cards don't come in randomized blind packs and are always available. Retiring product would defeat that idea.

I do agree that the main reason MtG retires cards is to sell more product. It's a brilliant business plan. Sell people cards. Get them hooked on the game. Run weekly events. Make arbitrary rules that only recently purchased (last year or so) cards are legal for play in these weekly events. Profit!!! I'm sure it makes balancing the game easier, but I think the main reason is sales.

MTG does what it does to sell more cards, and for no other reason.

They do not. They do rotations because that allows them to:

a) reset the playing field every once in a while to make room in the design space

b) limit the use of cards that would be problematic and create broken power creep comboes in the long run as more cards are added

c) not have to continuously keep every single set in print (which is simply unsustainable both for the publisher and the retail/distribution chain)

d) ease the barrier of entry for new players

Magic has so-called 'Eternal' formats that are not affected by rotations. Guess what? The meta for those formats is pretty stale even though the card pool is so much bigger. That's because with access to so many cards, you can build combinations that literally win the game by locking your opponent out of doing anything and by abusing unbreakable infinite loops and ability interactions that are not present in Standard play due to rotation. Also, the cost of getting into any of those formats competitively is several times higher than the cost of playing the rotating Standard format, because all the staple cards are no longer in print. For a two-color deck in Modern (the cheapest Eternal format), the optimal land suite alone will set you back around 300$ for around a dozen cards.

You know all those Magic cards you read about on the internet? The ones that are worth several hundred dollars up to a grand? Those are all cards that have rotated out of Standard play a long time ago. And those prices aren't due to people's nostalgia.

I'd advise anyone that is convinced rotations are 100% cash-grabs to read up on both game design theory and CCG economics.

Also,

FFG does not have a history of doing this with their LCGs.

That is simply not true. All FFG LCGs have a competetive play rotation schedule.

(That none of the games thus far have ever lived long enough to hit a rotation is a different matter and might in of itself tell you something about the sustainability of the LCG format.)

Edited by Don_Silvarro

a) reset the playing field every once in a while to make room in the design space

b) limit the use of cards that would be problematic and create broken power creep comboes in the long run as more cards are added

c) not have to continuously keep every single set in print

Magic has so-called 'Eternal' formats that are not affected by rotations. Guess what? The meta for those formats is pretty stale even though the card pool is so much bigger. That's because with access to so many cards, you can build combinations that literally win the game by locking your opponent out of doing anything and by abusing unbreakable infinite loops and ability interactions that are not present in Standard play due to rotation. Also, the cost of getting into any of those formats competitively is several times higher than the cost of playing the rotating Standard format, because all the staple cards are no longer in print. For a two-color deck in Modern (the cheapest Eternal format), the optimal land suite alone will set you back around 300$ for around a dozen cards.

You know all those Magic cards you read about on the internet? The ones that are worth several hundred dollars up to a grand? Those are all cards that have rotated out of Standard play a long time ago. And those prices aren't due to people's nostalgia.

Also,

That is simply not true. All FFG LCGs have a competetive play rotation schedule.

(That none of the games thus far have ever lived long enough to hit a rotation is a different matter and might in of itself tell you something about the sustainability of the LCG format.)

So, wait... you're saying that all FFG LCGs have a play rotation, but that all of them are still on the first rotation? Isn't that the same as NOT having a play rotation?

Call it what you will. The first time they say I can't play with something will be the last time I buy it.

Also,

So, wait... you're saying that all FFG LCGs have a play rotation, but that all of them are still on the first rotation? Isn't that the same as NOT having a play rotation?

No, it's not. I am at a loss why you would think it is.

Android will be hitting rotation within a year. Other games have been cancelled before the institution of rotation or before that rotation took effect. A Game of Thrones has avoided rotation by being re-released as a second edition, which in itself is functionally a rotation of every single first edition card.

Call it what you will. The first time they say I can't play with something will be the last time I buy it.

I am sorry for you. You'd best get your fun with Destiny while it lasts then, because if the game is to be anything more than a flash in the pan and is still to be played competitively in, say, three years time, the only other option to having a rotation schedule is having an aggressive card banning policy.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

As long as they have multiple formats I'm fine with it. Standard (Last 4 expansion) and Extended (Everything Ever) in theory could work. But that can get confusing for a physical card game. It's easy in Hearthstone because the computer sorts it for you so you don't have to double-check if THIS card is legal or not.

I'm a bigger fan of new gametypes.

Imagine in 2019 we get a new ruleset for "Quick-Play Free-for-all" 3+ player games. Maybe each hero starts with 4 damage assigned to it, double each player's income, and handsize is raised to 7. Then an expansion comes out, with half of the cards designed for normal play, but the other half synergize especially good with the new multiplayer format?

Also,

Android will be hitting rotation within a year. Other games have been cancelled before the institution of rotation or before that rotation took effect. A Game of Thrones has avoided rotation by being re-released as a second edition, which in itself is functionally a rotation of every single first edition card.

Well, never moving to a second rotation and not having a rotation schedule at all are functionally identical in the real world. I don't play Netrunner, so I can't speak to that, but I can't recall ever seeing any commentary about a rotation schedule for any other FFG LCG. Given that you said "All FFG LCGs have a competetive play rotation schedule", would it be possible to provide links to FFG's commentary on rotation schedules? I'd like to read up on how they handle it for all current LCGs.

Edited by KrisWall

Also,

Well, never moving to a second rotation and not having a rotation schedule at all are functionally identical in the real world. I don't play Netrunner, so I can't speak to that, but I can't recall ever seeing any commentary about a rotation schedule for any other FFG LCG. Given that you said "All FFG LCGs have a competetive play rotation schedule", would it be possible to provide links to FFG's commentary on rotation schedules? I'd like to read up on how they handle it for all current LCGs.

They did a whole article on it back in November '14.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/5/a-new-stage-of-growth/

Edited by Bowser

Article is a little older, Nov 2014, but it illustrates how they're rotation policy for LCGs was/is implemented. I doubt the exact same model would be used for Destiny, I'd like to see them come up with something in between Magic's Standard/Modern/Legacy formats and their LCG rotations.

Edited by netherspirit

Also,

When the first pack of the 8th cycle of a competitive LCG goes on sale, the oldest 2 cycles will be rotated out. That is when rotation begins for each LCG. None of their competitive LCG's have reached an 8th cycle yet, but it still applies to all of them.

I do not know if X-Wing, Armada, or Imperial Assault (Skirmish Mode) have retirement schedules.

Here is a link discussing their LCG rotation policy. It was instituted 2 years ago and Netrunner is just about to hit the point where sets will start to rotate regularly. As stated AGOT has already rotated in the form of version 2.0. They released a new version because they thought 1.0 was too far gone for rotation to help.

If rotation is a deal breaker for you, I'd advise getting out now while you can get good return on money spent. Because nearly every reason they've stated for instituting rotation in their LCG products applies to Destiny. Specifically:

"No customizable card game can sustain the unrestricted growth of its card pool over an indefinite period of time."

"An overwhelming card pool intimidates and turns away players who may otherwise be interested in the game."

"As a game's card pool grows unchecked, its metagame begins to stagnate, and the game falls apart under its own weight"

If after reading that article if you don't think Destiny will have a rotation policy for standard play I think you aren't bring honest with yourself.

In FFGs own view you can't have a game with an unlimited expanding card pool. It's not a cash grab it's just a realistic view of what it takes to design and market a game and the pitfalls you encounter in doing so.

Edited by ScottieATF

Also,

Ok, so for an LCG...

1. The Core Set will always be legal for play.

2. All Deluxe Expansion will always be legal for play.

3. The last 5-7 cycles of Expansion Packs will be legal for play. In essence, once an 8th pack is released, the oldest two are removed from eligibility.

Sounds like they're ONLY rotating out Expansion Packs and only once they're roughly 3-4 years old? I understand what you mean now. Most of the LCGs simply haven't hit an 8th cycle.

1. Netrunner has 7, with an 8th on the horizon. Assuming FFG sticks to their 2+ year old plan, two of the Netrunner cycles are due to rotate out soonish.

2. A Game of Thrones only has 3, so needs 5 more cycles before a rotation happens.

3. Star Wars The Card Game has 5, so needs 3 more cycles before a rotation happens.

4. Warhammer 40k Conquest is effectively dead, so will never hit a rotation.

5. LOTR The Card Game also has 7, so might potentially see a rotation soon.

The original comment stands. FFG doesn't actually have a history of performing rotations for their LCGs. All we know is that two years ago they said they consider rotation to be a solution and that the intention is to rotate once an 8th cycle is released. Might happen. Might not. We'll see. All we know is that as of today, they haven't performed a rotation for any of their current LCGs.

I strongly believe you won't have to worry about a "standard rotation" for a long, long while.

Magic: the Gathering is over 20 years old and the Standard format wasn't created until many years after Magic's first introduction (I'm still looking for an exact year they introduced the format [originally introduced as "Type 2"]. It's actually harder to find a date on that than I thought). Destiny is just over a month old and still finding it's footing among the world of CCGs. They're not going to rotate cards out of tournament play when the game still needs to take off. Heck, the first official FFG tournaments for Destiny haven't even happened yet (unless I missed something).

Standard was introduced into magic for the reasons Don_Silvaro listed above. Destiny does not have any of those problems at this point and most likely won't have those problems for a long time (or at all if we're lucky).

I strongly believe you won't have to worry about a "standard rotation" for a long, long while.

Magic: the Gathering is over 20 years old and the Standard format wasn't created until many years after Magic's first introduction (I'm still looking for an exact year they introduced the format [originally introduced as "Type 2"]. It's actually harder to find a date on that than I thought). Destiny is just over a month old and still finding it's footing among the world of CCGs. They're not going to rotate cards out of tournament play when the game still needs to take off. Heck, the first official FFG tournaments for Destiny haven't even happened yet (unless I missed something).

Standard was introduced into magic for the reasons Don_Silvaro listed above. Destiny does not have any of those problems at this point and most likely won't have those problems for a long time (or at all if we're lucky).

You missed something. They've been sending out OP kits for awhile now. I've played in two store tournaments using official FFG OP kits with a third scheduled soon. Regionals/Nationals haven't happend, but Store level is in full swing.

I thought about this a bit. We're talking about a game that is what, 2 months old now? I'm not sure I understand the arguments and threats of leaving a game that hasn't even released an expansion yet. It's going to take time to get to the point where sets will "retire" I bet that there will be new versions of the classic characters as time moves on. Note that each of the heroes and villains have a title of sorts? Wouldn't surprise me if the title changes and the stats for a new die.

Edited by GrandMoffMatt

Also,

Ok, so for an LCG...

1. The Core Set will always be legal for play.

2. All Deluxe Expansion will always be legal for play.

3. The last 5-7 cycles of Expansion Packs will be legal for play. In essence, once an 8th pack is released, the oldest two are removed from eligibility.

Sounds like they're ONLY rotating out Expansion Packs and only once they're roughly 3-4 years old? I understand what you mean now. Most of the LCGs simply haven't hit an 8th cycle.

1. Netrunner has 7, with an 8th on the horizon. Assuming FFG sticks to their 2+ year old plan, two of the Netrunner cycles are due to rotate out soonish.

2. A Game of Thrones only has 3, so needs 5 more cycles before a rotation happens.

3. Star Wars The Card Game has 5, so needs 3 more cycles before a rotation happens.

4. Warhammer 40k Conquest is effectively dead, so will never hit a rotation.

5. LOTR The Card Game also has 7, so might potentially see a rotation soon.

The original comment stands. FFG doesn't actually have a history of performing rotations for their LCGs. All we know is that two years ago they said they consider rotation to be a solution and that the intention is to rotate once an 8th cycle is released. Might happen. Might not. We'll see. All we know is that as of today, they haven't performed a rotation for any of their current LCGs.

You're grasping at straws because you're so predisposed to dislike rotation because of your experience with MtG that you can't see it for more then a cash grab, even though that's not an accurate statement to make even in regards to MtG.

Edited by ScottieATF

You missed something. They've been sending out OP kits for awhile now. I've played in two store tournaments using official FFG OP kits with a third scheduled soon. Regionals/Nationals haven't happend, but Store level is in full swing.

Well that's still a good thing. Glad to hear the store tournaments are in full swing.

Now I'm just curious why my LFGS hasn't hosted any store tournaments. They host regionals for X-Wing and Armada, why the heck haven't they started up the Destiny tournaments?

All of the reasons save for retailer shelf space that FFG stated for introducing rotation policies for their LCGs also apply to Destiny. Far off is one thing, but there is no getting lucky when it comes to the core reasons why rotation is needed in games.

Well that's still a good thing. Glad to hear the store tournaments are in full swing.

Now I'm just curious why my LFGS hasn't hosted any store tournaments. They host regionals for X-Wing and Armada, why the heck haven't they started up the Destiny tournaments?

Have you asked them to run any tournaments?