Battlesuits and Wielding Weapons

By Molecule4, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

So, me and my GM are at a little bit of a dilemma. I'm currently a Rank 6 Tau Fire Warrior with the Battlesuit Pilot alternate rank for 5th rank. I'm a Farsight fanboy, and thanks to some of the altered battlesuit rules I found on this site, I'm kicking up close ass and taking names. My question, however, is do Battlesuits use a Hardpoint if they are 'holding' the weapon, like a melee weapon or shield (but not a shield generator). I currently have an oversized Lathe Wrought sword and a thunder hammer sized for a space marine that are magnetically attached to my Battlesuits back (carry weight is not a bid deal, so don't worry about that). My GM and I haven't found any hard evidence that simply 'carrying' extra weapons use a Hardpoint, nor does wielding them.

Currently, an Eldar is singing me a large sword sized for my XV9, I intend to dual wield the Lathe Blade and the Power Sword, as dumb awesome as that sounds. Would these use up a Hardpoint? As far as I understand, Hardpoints aren't just anchoring points, but also power nodes and actuator areas that allow for power and control to the system installed. None of the other gear or weapons i'm carrying actually use up power from the suit, and are held in place via bolted on magnetic locks or their harness/sheathe. Should wielding two weapons that don't require direct power use up two Hardpoints, even though they either have their own sheath or power source, and are only being held in the XV9's hands?

Some advice from other people would be most appreciated, as my GM, while not angry or upset, doesn't like to have me answer his questions as logically as i can, and explain how I'm carrying/using the stuff I am currently. Precedents in the lore are usually accepted within our games, so that could work too.

Thanks guys/gals!

I would personally rule that carrying melee weapons does not use up hardpoints (unless they require hooking in for power/ammo).

As you say a vehicle hardpoint links in a weapon to the targeting/power/ammo feeds none of which apply to most melee weapons.

I'd agree. Strapping spikes onto it wouldn't, and a melee weapon is only slightly more than that. If the system has a limited number of hands, then that is the limit to melee weapons. If, on the other hand, they are power weapons, such as a Power Sword (Farsight's is as much space magic soul-sucking, extending his lifespan, as anything, so I'm unsure on his own weapon), or an Onagar Gauntlet, then yes, they should, as they need power to use their enhanced effects. Also, you might make sure that the weapon in question is designed to take the strain of being used by a Crisis Suit's strength, against the nastier things a Crisis Suit might fight, in melee, like big Nids. Powered weapons have more cutting, or insulating effects, on account of their fields, but a "regular" sword, even sized up to an XV-9, hoping to cut through stuff as hard as tank hulls, or Carnifex chitin, will probably not survive, something akin to a lance shattering in a charge. That happens for some different reasons, I know, but the idea is similar, and you don't want your Eldar-crafted wraithsword to bend, or break, in a debilitating way.

I'd agree. Strapping spikes onto it wouldn't, and a melee weapon is only slightly more than that. If the system has a limited number of hands, then that is the limit to melee weapons. If, on the other hand, they are power weapons, such as a Power Sword (Farsight's is as much space magic soul-sucking, extending his lifespan, as anything, so I'm unsure on his own weapon), or an Onagar Gauntlet, then yes, they should, as they need power to use their enhanced effects. Also, you might make sure that the weapon in question is designed to take the strain of being used by a Crisis Suit's strength, against the nastier things a Crisis Suit might fight, in melee, like big Nids. Powered weapons have more cutting, or insulating effects, on account of their fields, but a "regular" sword, even sized up to an XV-9, hoping to cut through stuff as hard as tank hulls, or Carnifex chitin, will probably not survive, something akin to a lance shattering in a charge. That happens for some different reasons, I know, but the idea is similar, and you don't want your Eldar-crafted wraithsword to bend, or break, in a debilitating way.

You make and excellent point. The Battlesuit in question does have a lot of strength. The main sword I'm using is a Lathewrought Great Weapon, and a Wraithblade is what I was thinking the stats would be, but events have transpired that will make the Bonesinger in question unable to create the blade in question. As for power weapons taking up a slot: Aren't most power weapons self-contained? They have their own batteries usually, with the exception of the power fist, which states it has a hip/belt mounted battery. Onager Gauntlets definitely take up a hard point.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll relay them to my GM.

You make and excellent point. The Battlesuit in question does have a lot of strength. The main sword I'm using is a Lathewrought Great Weapon, and a Wraithblade is what I was thinking the stats would be, but events have transpired that will make the Bonesinger in question unable to create the blade in question. As for power weapons taking up a slot: Aren't most power weapons self-contained? They have their own batteries usually, with the exception of the power fist, which states it has a hip/belt mounted battery. Onager Gauntlets definitely take up a hard point.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll relay them to my GM.

There are rules for applying Lathe forging to a weapon in Dark Heresy First Edition if you are interested in using them. Inquisitor's Handbook. So you'd really only have to apply it to a Great Weapon, and Power sword stuff already exists.