Infinite Fate... I hate it

By Filippo, in Talisman

Lucky is just a broken card... I think it ruins the game.
" At the start of your turn, you may replenish 1 fate ."

Jin-Blooded + Wand is even worse... just gain 1 Fate per turn with no-limits, because you have always at least 1 spell!!

"At the start of your turn, you may discard 1 of your spells to gain 1 fate."

We usually use a maximum of 1 Fate per round! In terms of gameplay, this means we have infinite Fate more or less... and this is a game widely based on dice!!
With Woodland expansion these mechanics are even more broken because you can change easily light/dark fatebound.
I don't want to talk about Luna + Lucky combo... THEY ARE NOT PETS ANYMORE, they are devilish monsters :o

What do you think about infinite-fate-combos? I don't like them because Fate is a very impressive part of the game, and now it's easily wasted. <_<

Edited by Filippo

I've totally house-ruled Lucky (replaced picture :rolleyes: )

2b443b6c98c67f797c24efaaa66af897.jpg

I've nerfed jin-blooded: "Gain Fate" now is "Replenish Fate"

4bbe43cd8a19f965529f58ca8e949cc5.jpg

There are many cards from the City that make characters too powerful too quickly.

But the thing that has really grown to irritate me is limitless spells. It's to the point where I am disappointed if I don't get a caster for a character. Casters have a very clear advantage, being able to win lots of combats that they shouldn't be able to win, being able to beef up stats quickly, and being able to mess with everyone without fear of retaliation. Casters win the game more often than not in my experience.

There are two things that I would standardize for all casters:

- No gaining of spells when it is not your turn

- Any character that automatically gains spells may only automatically gain one spell at the start of their turn, but only if they have no spells. In other words, no more two-spell minimum for the Sprite, or no more gaining up to your maximum for the Warlock. You can gain additional spells through other means that you have to work for.

As it stands right now, in a six-player game, the Warlock could conceivably cast 8 spells in a single round (three on his turn, plus per the other players' turns). That's way too imbalanced in my opinion.

In my games, casters are strong but balanced, because in the late game they die against strenght-characters.
There are some insanely usefull spells, but they are random, stoppable and sometimes uncastable.
Sprite can easily die. Wizard with an uncastable spell is weak. Warlock is strong, just kill him with fire when in play ^_^

Anyhow
Infinite Lives > Infinte Fate >>>>> Infinite Spell > Infinite gold

I've house ruled a lot of broken unfunny combo and reprinted the cards

In my games, casters are strong but balanced, because in the late game they die against strenght-characters.

There are some insanely usefull spells, but they are random, stoppable and sometimes uncastable.

Sprite can easily die. Wizard with an uncastable spell is weak. Warlock is strong, just kill him with fire when in play ^_^

Useless spells can be sold off, as if often the case, which leads to characters stockpiling gold and buying either pets or Warhorses. The Sprite with two warhorses (or more) is nigh unstoppable.

Besides, good players can usually find ways to cast their spells. It might take a few rounds sometimes, but they get through them.

All fate allows you to do is reroll a die. There's no guarantee that you are going to get a favorable reroll.

But limitless spells is very difficult to stop. A couple of good spells and a character builds up much faster than the non-casters.

lot of people underestimate casters because people who play them hold on to their spells till the perfect moment rather than casting as many as possible. If all the spells do during a game is steal an object and maybe kill or toadify an opponent they are good but not imbalanced, Still among the better characters but nok broken. However if casters cast spells left and right for several small advantages every turn they become extremely powerful. The ability to hinder opponents regardless of where they are is especially powerful.

Casters CAN be more balanced depending on the spelldeck if there is only 1 caster in the game as some spells are hard to cast without other players having access to spells, and some objects like wand even out the difference. basic game was more balanced in this way, the more expansions there are in play the more powerful casters tend to become.

I'd say its a tossup between replenish spells and fate, which is why i like playing doomsayer.