Kyber Crystals, the Whills and Episode VIII

By Nate, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

On 3/23/2017 at 3:22 AM, whafrog said:

Maybe that's one of the reasons he lost...he was no longer attuned to it.

It also goes a long way to explaining why Rey had the vision when she first touched it. This particular kyber crystal has been through hell, so to speak, and recognised a Force user that was already sort-of-kind-of attuned to it (ie: she wasn't a Dark Side user). It would also explain why Kylo Ren had trouble pulling the sabre to himself out of the snow, whereas it went straight to Rey (then again, Luke had trouble pulling it out of the snow...maybe it's a Snow-Bunny-Lightsabre! :) )

On 5/21/2017 at 8:41 PM, Daronil said:

It would also explain why Kylo Ren had trouble pulling the sabre to himself out of the snow, whereas it went straight to Rey (then again, Luke had trouble pulling it out of the snow...maybe it's a Snow-Bunny-Lightsabre! :) )

Remember that Luke had a great deal of conflict in him. Luke isn't as pure as Rey. Rey doesn't have parents but she didn't see their charred corpses or destroy a space station with 100,000+ people on board. When Luke builds his own lightsaber, it is green because he walks the line between light and dark. The only reason the Skywalker lightsaber is blue to begin with canonically is that Anakin was genuinely good when he built it (thus sharpening the impact of his fall to the Dark Side). imho

20 hours ago, dpick28 said:

Remember that Luke had a great deal of conflict in him. Luke isn't as pure as Rey. Rey doesn't have parents but she didn't see their charred corpses or destroy a space station with 100,000+ people on board. When Luke builds his own lightsaber, it is green because he walks the line between light and dark. The only reason the Skywalker lightsaber is blue to begin with canonically is that Anakin was genuinely good when he built it (thus sharpening the impact of his fall to the Dark Side). imho

I dunno about that. Luke grew up in a pretty normal home with an aunt and uncle who obviously loved him a great deal. Rey seems pretty angry to me when she's fighting Ren - her expression is one of rage. Also, I'm not sure where you're getting this thing about a green sabre being somewhere between light and dark while blue is more "pure". Yoda and Qui-Gon both had green sabres, while Anakin's was still blue after he had murdered innocents and committed numerous questionable acts throughout the Clone Wars.

Luke certainly walked on the edge during Return of the Jedi , but it was reflected in his clothing (all black, from the all white in A New Hope ), his demeanor (when he enters Jabba's palace in silhouette, with his cloak on, he could be Vader), and his behaviour (Force-choking the Gamorreans) - his lightsabre had nothing to do with it. His new sabre was green for a variety of reasons:

1. He was making a break with his past
2. (my own pet theory :) ) He used Qui-Gon's old lightsabre, kept by Obi-Wan, as the basis for his new one, including the green crystal.
3. (practical) Lucas wanted to ensure there was no confusion that this was a new lightsabre (no "Hey! How'd he get his lightsabre back?")
4. (practical) The VFX for the blue sabre were too washed out in the bright desert scenes with a brilliant blue sky; the green one was much more visible.

At least in the new canon, the only "dark side" influence on a lightsabre's colour is to make the crystal "bleed" and turn red because it's inherent light-side nature is being warped and twisted by a dark side user. If anything, someone walking the line would have a purple lightsabre (purple is mid-way between blue and red) - maybe vapaad was taking its toll on Windu? :)

On 6/8/2017 at 11:36 PM, Daronil said:

I dunno about that. Luke grew up in a pretty normal home with an aunt and uncle who obviously loved him a great deal. Rey seems pretty angry to me when she's fighting Ren - her expression is one of rage. Also, I'm not sure where you're getting this thing about a green sabre being somewhere between light and dark while blue is more "pure". Yoda and Qui-Gon both had green sabres, while Anakin's was still blue after he had murdered innocents and committed numerous questionable acts throughout the Clone Wars.

Luke certainly walked on the edge during Return of the Jedi , but it was reflected in his clothing (all black, from the all white in A New Hope ), his demeanor (when he enters Jabba's palace in silhouette, with his cloak on, he could be Vader), and his behaviour (Force-choking the Gamorreans) - his lightsabre had nothing to do with it. His new sabre was green for a variety of reasons:

1. He was making a break with his past
2. (my own pet theory :) ) He used Qui-Gon's old lightsabre, kept by Obi-Wan, as the basis for his new one, including the green crystal.
3. (practical) Lucas wanted to ensure there was no confusion that this was a new lightsabre (no "Hey! How'd he get his lightsabre back?")
4. (practical) The VFX for the blue sabre were too washed out in the bright desert scenes with a brilliant blue sky; the green one was much more visible.

At least in the new canon, the only "dark side" influence on a lightsabre's colour is to make the crystal "bleed" and turn red because it's inherent light-side nature is being warped and twisted by a dark side user. If anything, someone walking the line would have a purple lightsabre (purple is mid-way between blue and red) - maybe vapaad was taking its toll on Windu? :)

My source is this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/yxXVx4sv0r4

Which I will grant is not the most reliable canonical source. Luke was pure until he was busy killing a hundred thousand plus people all in one go. That was my point.

I don't know about Yoda (that one actually fascinates me, but there might be some answers in his trip to Malachor in the lost missions of Clone Wars). But Qui-Gon Jinn was kicked off the council from being a renegade. Dude was unstable, and he repeatedly made poor decisions.

Poor decisions?

Considering who taught him (Count Dooku) he was remarkably well adjusted!?

On 6/11/2017 at 9:29 PM, dpick28 said:

My source is this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/yxXVx4sv0r4

Which I will grant is not the most reliable canonical source. Luke was pure until he was busy killing a hundred thousand plus people all in one go. That was my point.

I don't know about Yoda (that one actually fascinates me, but there might be some answers in his trip to Malachor in the lost missions of Clone Wars). But Qui-Gon Jinn was kicked off the council from being a renegade. Dude was unstable, and he repeatedly made poor decisions.

Technically, Qui Gon never sat on the Council in the first place.