few rules questions

By II Raptor II, in DOOM: The Board Game

1. If a marine gets killed by an attack but would become stunned after that attack, does the marines spawn back stunned ?

2. When playing the ''onslaught'' event card (power overwhelming set) it says perform an additional attack against a different marine. What is the case when playing against a solo marine ?

3. I think I was already doing right with this one but still to be sure. When I spend my argent energy token for my baron of hell to perform the "grand fireball" attack if I would be able to then move and become adjacent to a marine i cannot perform a regular attack right ? since you can only perform 1 attack and its not a additional attack.

4.When a demon figure occupies a space with an item on it can a marine player still spend 2 movement points into that space and pick up the item then move out with remaining movement points to not end on that space ? Since at some points in the book its says you only need to move into a space while at some points it says you need to occupie the space.

5.Does anyone feel like the solo marine is a bit to much ? Played quite some matches 1 VS 1 now and the top amount of frags I seem to get is 3. The additional main action seems a bit to much. If you would play 2 marines you get 2 main actions in a round while a solo gets 4 (not counting the combat shotgun cards).

1. It's not specified, but I'm pretty sure the stunned card gets removed. Majority of the time the Marine would get fragged by not defending anyway so would be removed before he gets fragged.

2. It can't be used against solo Marine, so just turn it into an argent token.

3. With demons you can perform additional attacks if you can. The card reads "once during your activation" so you can throw a fireball, move and perform the main attack in any order.

It doesn't say anywhere you can't perform additional attacks, but you only get one attack from the ATTACK BOX per demon activation. The argent effect is an additional ability which resolves itself as an attack.

4. As I understand it, you cannot END your move on occupied spaces, but you can still pick up items as long as you spend 2 movement points and 1 more to move out.

5. Yes, the solo Marine is too much. A lot of people have been saying that and I've had the same experience; the highest against is 3 frags.

NOTE: even with 2 marines, giving them the Combat Veteran squad cards, they still get 2 main actions per activation as well as having 2 Marine cards in the initiative deck, so it remains the same as a solo Marine. I think the main reason to have the squad cards is to have the Marines activate 4 times each round no matter how many are missing.

Edited by MeeKey

1. If a marine gets killed by an attack but would become stunned after that attack, does the marines spawn back stunned ?

2. When playing the ''onslaught'' event card (power overwhelming set) it says perform an additional attack against a different marine. What is the case when playing against a solo marine ?

3. I think I was already doing right with this one but still to be sure. When I spend my argent energy token for my baron of hell to perform the "grand fireball" attack if I would be able to then move and become adjacent to a marine i cannot perform a regular attack right ? since you can only perform 1 attack and its not a additional attack.

4.When a demon figure occupies a space with an item on it can a marine player still spend 2 movement points into that space and pick up the item then move out with remaining movement points to not end on that space ? Since at some points in the book its says you only need to move into a space while at some points it says you need to occupie the space.

5.Does anyone feel like the solo marine is a bit to much ? Played quite some matches 1 VS 1 now and the top amount of frags I seem to get is 3. The additional main action seems a bit to much. If you would play 2 marines you get 2 main actions in a round while a solo gets 4 (not counting the combat shotgun cards).

1) No. Clean slate, but with any weapons he picked up (BFG, Rocket Launcher, etc). His 10+ card deck is fully reshuffled (no discards), etc.

2) It simply doesn't work. The wording is very specific. The same goes for the Explosion card. You can't splash damage things that aren't there. That being said, the black die card still works, as it specifically states the marine with the lowest amount of damage. The solo marine is always that marine. Argent Energy is the best use of situational cards that are unable to use.

3) Grand Fireball is an Argent Energy spent free attack that can only be used once per activation (so only one Baron can perform it if you have multiple). You can still attack normally. Without playing any cards, this means that the Baron of Hell is capable of 3 attacks in a single round if it spends argent energy and it's 5 movement points. 4 if you use the card from Power Overwhelming to attacking a different marine, 5 if you use the melee only extra attack from the card in that other deck (I don't remember the name). This makes the Baron of Hell a very powerful unit.

Don't worry. I honestly thought the same as you during my first map.

4) Moving in to that space is occupying it, even if temporarily. So long as you have enough movement points to enter and exit the already occupied space, then yes you can enter to grab the item/objective and move on. This means that demons can't block spaces unless a marine is low on movement points.

5) Actually, two marines get 4 main actions, as do three marines, as do four. The problem with the solo marine is the amount of health it has. It takes 90 actual health of damage for the Invader to win, not even taking in to consideration health packs. This is over double the amount of health a four man group has. Even a two marine group has 72 health, but at least that is manageable.

If you want to make the Solo Marine less ridiculous, try lowering the health to 12 or 13 (I'd start with 12 personally). That puts it more on par with a two marine group. It'll still be the Doomslayer, but you'll have a much more entertaining game. You'd be surprised how much difference a few points of health will make. (Health x 6) + health packs is what you're up against as the Invader. Remember to not pull any punches. The Marines are very powerful in this game, and as the Invader you may feel a bit on the weak side. You aren't. Think about the sub-decks you're choosing to make your 18 card deck. Tailor it to the Invasion card you get. Abuse Argent Energy as much as you can afford. Discard 1-3 cards from your hand each turn (ones that won't help you with the current board state) for Argent Energy. Smart use of your resources will see you have a better chance of winning.

Also remember that Infestation is challenge mode for the Invader.

Edited by Tyroki

You'll need:

• 60 points of damage for 4 & 3 marines

• 72 for 2

• 90 for 1

Edited by MeeKey

Thanks for the answers guys. It still seems a bit weird to me that so many event cards are just argent energy discards when playing vs a solo marine. I totally forgot about the other squad cards marines get when playing with fewer than 4 marines making my statement about 4 main actions false sorry for that.

By the way does it also mean when a marine gets fragged he would then lose his unused glory kill reward cards ?

Edited by II Raptor II

By the way does it also mean when a marine gets fragged he would then lose his unused glory kill reward cards ?

The only thing a Marine might "lose" upon death are Objective Tokens, and whether those are lost or not depends on the description on the Mission Objective card.

Edited by Demax51

3) Grand Fireball is an Argent Energy spent free attack that can only be used once per activation (so only one Baron can perform it if you have multiple)

Has this been FAQ'd or otherwise clarified?

As far as I can tell, that's not what once per activation means in this context.

"Once per activation" would apply to activating the demon itself, not activating the demon card, and the RRG clearly states that each demon activates individually (RRG Pg 7 "Demon Activation")

It seems like multiple Barons can throw multiple Grand Fireballs (one each) as long as they have the argent power to pay for it.

Edited by Tvayumat

3) Grand Fireball is an Argent Energy spent free attack that can only be used once per activation (so only one Baron can perform it if you have multiple)

As far as I can tell, that's not what once per activation means in this context.

"Once per activation" would apply to activating the demon itself, not activating the demon card, and the RRG clearly states that each demon activates individually (RRG Pg 7 "Demon Activation")

It seems like multiple Barons can throw multiple Grand Fireballs (one each) as long as they have the argent power to pay for it.

No, no, sorry, you're actually correct.

It's per demon, not per card.

I clearly originally misread the rule.

This is further supported in page 5 of Learn to Play in the Activation Phase section.

"If the revealed card is an invader initiative card, the invader must choose a demon type and then activate each demon figure of that type"

This is then followed up on the next page:

"When an invader initiative card is revealed, it is the invader's turn to activate demons. To do so, he chooses one of his readied demon cards and exhausts it by rotating it 90 degrees. Then, he activates each demon figure on the map that corresponds to the card he chose. The activations are performed one at at time."

This was the part I missed as I rushed to play.

I stand corrected (and am VERY HAPPY that I stand corrected... MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!)

No, no, sorry, you're actually correct.

It's per demon, not per card.

I clearly originally misread the rule.

This is further supported in page 5 of Learn to Play in the Activation Phase section.

"If the revealed card is an invader initiative card, the invader must choose a demon type and then activate each demon figure of that type"

This is then followed up on the next page:

"When an invader initiative card is revealed, it is the invader's turn to activate demons. To do so, he chooses one of his readied demon cards and exhausts it by rotating it 90 degrees. Then, he activates each demon figure on the map that corresponds to the card he chose. The activations are performed one at at time."

This was the part I missed as I rushed to play.

I stand corrected (and am VERY HAPPY that I stand corrected... MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!)

**** right.

Grand Fireballs are BRUTAL.

Enjoy spreading the love :D