Will there be more Awakenings supply after this January printing?

By Glucose98, in Star Wars: Destiny

Does anyone know if they plan on printing more of Awakenings boosters after this January wave that's selling out everywhere? I called the FFG Event Center today, they had about 6 display boxes left, and thought they would sell out within the hour. The guy who answered the phone was unsure if they were getting more of this booster set at all?

Anyone hear any rumors like this?

Edited by Glucose98

FFG is basically printing money, why would they stop.

FFG is basically printing money, why would they stop.

Exactly. I have *no* idea.

There better be...

Edited by dpb1298

The set will go out of print at some point, otherwise it defeats the purpose of being a collectible game.

No one publicly knows when.

Do you think they would keep printing starter kits until the next ones are announced? Seems like growing their player base is something they wouldn't to scrimp on.

For most TCGs a set is in print for at least a year. Starters are yearly for Destiny, so they'll be in print until the next ones come out probably. The current wave of product is the 3rd of 4, the next one is supposed to be coming next month. Then I believe they might focus on printing SoR until that launches, then they'd get back to awakenings as well as SoR in printing.

My FLGS mentioned both february and march for future shipments (as they had been told by their distributor)

As mentioned, given the CCG nature, Awakenings will stay in print at least a year.

As mentioned, given the CCG nature, Awakenings will stay in print at least a year.

Just because other games do something one way, doesn't mean this one will follow suit.

I've heard from a couple of stores that they aren't expecting anymore anytime soon, or ever, per things they've heard from their distributors and their FFG reps.

Logically it makes sense that they would print it again, but everything is assumptions or hearsay at this point.

Just because other games do something one way, doesn't mean this one will follow suit.

I've heard from a couple of stores that they aren't expecting anymore anytime soon, or ever, per things they've heard from their distributors and their FFG reps.

Logically it makes sense that they would print it again, but everything is assumptions or hearsay at this point.

Yeah what bothers me most is that it was the FFG store that hinted at it. They *should* have slightly better eavesdropping than other stores I would think?

Ultimately, FFG isn't WotC. Destiny isn't Magic. FFG isn't exactly known for being on top of demand forecasting. Their initial print runs are generally too small for popular products and follow up print runs are generally later than the market would like. In between sell out and restock is a wasteland of 'out of stock'. Starter Decks should be 'in print' for a year. Does that mean they'll be consistently available? Nope. It means there should be more on the way, but that you might have to wait a couple of months before your local store gets restocked.

FFG event center posted a photo of their stock for today with basically, "Last chance to get Awakenings boosters for awhile." That, along with a couple other things I heard that match up with the above indicate that they are printing Spirit right now and that it's possible we won't see Awakenings again until after that. I'm confident enough in my sources that when MM told me they wouldn't be able to fulfill my preorder (from late Dec) with today's stock but would put me on priority for the next batch, I told them to switch it over to Spirit of the Rebellion or cancel the order;)

FFG event center posted a photo of their stock for today with basically, "Last chance to get Awakenings boosters for awhile." That, along with a couple other things I heard that match up with the above indicate that they are printing Spirit right now and that it's possible we won't see Awakenings again until after that. I'm confident enough in my sources that when MM told me they wouldn't be able to fulfill my preorder (from late Dec) with today's stock but would put me on priority for the next batch, I told them to switch it over to Spirit of the Rebellion or cancel the order;)

This game is so character centric -- it would be weird for some of them to go out of print. It would seem wrong to tell new players to the game two years from now that no, sorry, you can't have a Darth Vader. Darth was part of the Awakenings set, and they aren't in print anymore.

This game is so character centric -- it would be weird for some of them to go out of print. It would seem wrong to tell new players to the game two years from now that no, sorry, you can't have a Darth Vader. Darth was part of the Awakenings set, and they aren't in print anymore.

Edited by AlexW

Those dice are hard to manufacture. In fact, the developers of the game said because of the manufacturing issues, they have to have their final designs in a year before it hits the streets. At this point FFG is probably finding ways to increase manufacturing capacity which simply will not happen over night. With the new set scheduled to come out in a couple months, their production is surely focused on that. The only way they get more awakening is to pull production away from their future sets. However miniature market seems to think they are getting more boxes in Feb or March, so this most likely will happen.

Expect short supply and erratic shipments of all products until the end of the year when they get more manufacturing capacity. FFG has stated no print limits, no time limits or given any indication anything will ever go out of print. The lack of supply is completely due to manufacturing issues. CCG doesn't mean anything will ever go out of print, just what is in a booster is randomized.

It'd be great if they told us the expected or desired model for how long things will stay in print. I realize this game had manufacturing issues and much higher demand than expected, so we're seeing these crazy situations. I'm just wondering if they think they'll ditch these old sets completely. That would turn me off from the game.

Those dice are hard to manufacture. In fact, the developers of the game said because of the manufacturing issues, they have to have their final designs in a year before it hits the streets. At this point FFG is probably finding ways to increase manufacturing capacity which simply will not happen over night. With the new set scheduled to come out in a couple months, their production is surely focused on that. The only way they get more awakening is to pull production away from their future sets. However miniature market seems to think they are getting more boxes in Feb or March, so this most likely will happen.

I think they are/were going by their best guess. As mentioned above, when my pre-order was delayed I emailed and was told that they expected more but they did not actually have an ETA. I mean why wouldn't FFG be printing more right now, right? I think that the game has changed knowing that Spirit is in print and that I know that the FFG Event Center itself doesn't even have an estimate or any information really.

It'd be great if they told us the expected or desired model for how long things will stay in print. I realize this game had manufacturing issues and much higher demand than expected, so we're seeing these crazy situations. I'm just wondering if they think they'll ditch these old sets completely. That would turn me off from the game.

Yeah, hopefully they'll let people know at least what they have planned. It feels comparable to the early Waves of X-wing where things couldn't be found for awhile but then came back into print when they could. At the same time, this is a CCG, so who knows if they will just try to keep the new stuff rolling or what (though I doubt that).

Edited by AlexW

I remember a time when you couldn't buy Y-Wings because they were out of stock. Can you still buy Y-Wings?

/thread

I remember a time when you couldn't buy Y-Wings because they were out of stock. Can you still buy Y-Wings?

/thread

Different game and different genre (IE not collectible). I'd agree that they're probably not going to be done with Awakenings, but they also haven't made it clear either (and it might be because they are still working on how to handle demand for the game). I think that's a bit different than with the shortage of Y-Wings, where I think that no one was really surprised that they were going to be reprinted(except for a few that didn't understand the nature of the game), and will be for the life of that game.

Edited by AlexW

Here are some links to Team Covenant's youtube channel with interviews of the FFG people. They talk about this game and you can get a better feel for where it came from and what their challenges are. I don't remember them saying anything will go out of print. So if you are hording boxes thinking in five years they will be worth several grand each, you are sadly mistaken. Right now however, you can make money on them.

If they're smart they will. They'll follow the usual CCG trend because they don't want to take a chance with such a printed money IP like Star Wars. And I believe that FFG is smart.

/thread

X-wing is more like a living card game then a collectible one. Not exactly a fair comparison.

While it is difficult to imagine them not putting their sets out of print at some point, FFG has zero track record of CCGs. Some collectables have a very limited run with each item getting its own number. Other collectables are like beanie babies. FFG is famous for their LCGs and following an anti-CCG model. They do seem to want to embrace the CCG model with this game however, so it is very likely it will go out of print before demand completely fads away. With the manufacturing difficulties, I wouldn't expect them to have a set time line for stuff leaving print this year.

FFG has zero track record of CCGs.

Not true. They had a few CCGs before they moved to LCGs, it's just been awhile.