Scenario 9 Success!

By tamsyn, in Arkham Horror League

Just finished playing scenario 9 and it was a success on our first try! It went down like this....

Still playing with Mandy and Joe, from the very beginning, we luckily drew a molotov cocktail, brass knuckles and geneolgy research, flamethrower and mask of the messenger (exhibit instead of unique for Mandy). We then went shopping at the common item store a lot. This yielded us another .45. This gave us all the weapons we needed in the final fight.

We got the riots rumour very early so decided to let it run to stop anything worse coming out. We also made a decision to always put the blight token on the doom track to wake him up faster. We then ignored gates opening. ignored monsters and rifts/dunwich horror (to let the terror level go up and doom track increase), and spent our movement picking up clue tokens. We had the Hallejujah mythos card where Joe got blessed and he kept it until the end.

In the final fight our epic card was waves of madness, but we had one cthonian on the board. HoweverJoe had 14 clue tokens to use and Mandy's reroll. Cthlhu didn't even get a chance to attack!

OK so the score wasn't as good as it could have been, only being 8,, but we have always been in it to keep the same two characters from the first scenario to the last.

Bring on 10!

Thats awesome Tamsyn. I can't wait to try that one. I knew at the beginning of the league that the Cthulu scenario would be good.

Right now my team is only at scenario 7. We fell way behind in having the time to play, but we intend to finish soon.

ooh good luck. fingers crossed for good starting equipment!

How many rounds of combat did it end up being? With all the clue tokens and the .45s was Joe able to drive off Cuthulu in a single hail of bullets? Off the top of my head that sounds like being able to roll 40 dice and reroll all failures to try to score 26 successes.

One round of combat. Mandy went first with 4 dice, got 1 success. Joe went second and had 32 dice to roll intially , then 24 to reroll I think. He was blessed so killed cthulhu in a oner. Lucky since the epic battle deck was out.

Nice going there :)

We're behind as well, currently tackling scenario 8 next. We'll probably take a few more weeks to catch up with you guys due to exams and all.

Congratulations for killing the great Cthulhu at the first attempt!

There's something I cannot realize... how is it possible to roll 36 dice in just one character's attack? never ever being able to roll more than 14... but maybe my strategies aren't the best ones... any hint on how to raise your combat value to such a *great* quantity of dice? could be quite useful, especially against great old ones with lots of protections (tsathoggua or cthulhu)

Thx for any help!

Turambar said:

There's something I cannot realize... how is it possible to roll 36 dice in just one character's attack? never ever being able to roll more than 14... but maybe my strategies aren't the best ones... any hint on how to raise your combat value to such a *great* quantity of dice? could be quite useful, especially against great old ones with lots of protections (tsathoggua or cthulhu)

It's pretty much all Joe Diamond. His ability gives him 2 dice for every Clue Token spent on a skill check. If he uses a Clue on a skill check he has one of those +X skills in (like +1 Fight), it's 3 dice. Of course, against Tsathoggua, poor Joe can't spam, since Tsat's Start of Battle is all Clue Tokens are discarded.

Hmm, I thought that Mandy´s rerroll can be used only on SKILL checks, not on COMBAT checks. But I don´t want to spoil your good feeling about your success. Great job anyway.

Tygr said:

Hmm, I thought that Mandy´s rerroll can be used only on SKILL checks, not on COMBAT checks. But I don´t want to spoil your good feeling about your success. Great job anyway.

*snicker

Combat checks ARE skill checks cool.gif . Ditto for Horror, Evade and Spell checks. Pages 12 and 13 in the rulebook (since copy&paste on these forums gives me a headache).

Dam said:

*snicker

Combat checks ARE skill checks cool.gif . Ditto for Horror, Evade and Spell checks. Pages 12 and 13 in the rulebook (since copy&paste on these forums gives me a headache).

I would not be so sure that special skill check = skill check, but I dont want to oppose you. I think that skill check = pure skill check, when you cannot use any other items, but I could take it wrong.

ANother reason why I think I took it right is, that if Mandy would have this possibility, she would be quite overpowered against other investigators. Reroll on only pure skill checks is still strong ability, but not SO strong.

But as I said, I can be wrong.

Sorry for the little offtopic, I migrated this discussion to the other forum.

Dam said:

It's pretty much all Joe Diamond. His ability gives him 2 dice for every Clue Token spent on a skill check. If he uses a Clue on a skill check he has one of those +X skills in (like +1 Fight), it's 3 dice. Of course, against Tsathoggua, poor Joe can't spam, since Tsat's Start of Battle is all Clue Tokens are discarded.

Very cute observation! and a devastating damage indeed! thx for the hint!

That's another reason (besides it seeming the best fit) I use 4 investigators. With Joe in the mix, 1-2 investigators Final Combats are pretty much over in 1 round, if you've Clue Tokens to spam with. With 4, Joe can't carry the load all by himself with even one 30+ dice combat check, since the target should be somewhere between 40 and 52+ successes.

I also think 4 investigators are the best choice. The game isn't too slow, it's challanging enough and there aren't too many monsters wandering around, leaving you enough time to enjoy lots of more things! Regarding Joe... well, it's too late to add him to our character's team for the league, but I'll try to use him in a off-league situation!

(anyway it will be a long way, since we still have to play scenario 4... too much work in this period, argh!)

if we did the league again we might try it with 4, but it is trying to get 4 people together regularly. i know you could play 2 each, but that is a little weird. anyway I don't think i could love anyone as much as I love Mandy.

tamsyn said:

anyway I don't think i could love anyone as much as I love Mandy.

Way to go heartbreaker partido_risa.gif !

and i'm a girl..

(don't tell my husband) corazon.gif

You might want to try it Tamsyn. Once you play 2 investigators, its hard to go back. Its so much more fun that way. And 4 players is the sweet spot for this game.

tamsyn said:

and i'm a girl..

Well, I did know that, the "spawn" news on the old forums was a "bit" of a giveaway gui%C3%B1o.gif .

Dam said:

tamsyn said:

and i'm a girl..

Well, I did know that, the "spawn" news on the old forums was a "bit" of a giveaway gui%C3%B1o.gif .

What? Males can spawn too! Read your Lovecraft!

Lovecraft? What's that?

Sounds like an 18-30 cruise.....

demonio.gif

Today we managed to defeat the nefarious scenario 9... the most difficult faced until now. After 5 hours of fatigue, an elder sign destroyed by a gate burst the round before we could seal the last gate, 2 blight allies in play and 2 rifts in Kingsport ready to open, finally Diana Stanley sealed the 6th gate at the Arkham graveyard. A *great* scenario, absolutely worth playing!

Let's go for Azathoth!