Forecastle. Aftcastle?

By MasterBeastman, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So the heroes can upgrade the Revenge with a forecastle which is represented with stairs leading up to a raised deck.

However, we noticed that the aft of the ship looks identical to this for both hero and monster ships - complete with different coloring and stairs. Is the "aftcastle" considered to be elevated?

MasterBeastman said:

So the heroes can upgrade the Revenge with a forecastle which is represented with stairs leading up to a raised deck.

However, we noticed that the aft of the ship looks identical to this for both hero and monster ships - complete with different coloring and stairs. Is the "aftcastle" considered to be elevated?

As far as I can tell from reading the rules, no it is not considered elevated. I think the forecastle for SoB is more about the ramming part than really having elevated terrain.

I haven't really looked through the hero upgrades much (I've been primarily Overlord so far, and have plenty to choose from there). But my hero team is nuts about elevated terrain for some reason. And two of them are melee!

MasterBeastman said:

I haven't really looked through the hero upgrades much (I've been primarily Overlord so far, and have plenty to choose from there). But my hero team is nuts about elevated terrain for some reason. And two of them are melee!

Yeah, I've never had elevated terrain really make much of difference any time I've played.

You can always house rule all the aftcastles to be elevated, too. Since all ships have them, balance should not be a concern.