Just tried to play this tonight, very confused

By voltagejim, in Star Wars: Rebellion

So me and a buddy tried to play this tonight and were using the quick reference book to play the game. We played based on how they said you should play the first match.

But we are confused on some of the rules.

In the rule book it seems like at the start of your turn you can only play ONE mission car OR move your fleet to ONE adjacent planet. Yet my friend, who was rebels, pointed out that some of his mission card alluded to the fact that you can have more than one mission card in play during your turn.

Also it says in the refresh phase to bring all your leaders back to the pool. So we are not sure how you are supposed to capture people if they never stay on the board.

And on building units, do you really build one of each symbol on every planet you own or subjagate? Cause as Empire I had run out of AT-AT, AT-ST, and Star destoryer miniatures and we were only on 6 for the time marker

Also is it just me or is the game basically the board game version of the old 90's Star Wars Rebellion PC game? I mean almost everything is identical. And did anyone notice that some of the cards have the old Rogue Squadron novels cover art for them

Let me explain how the game plays:

1. Assignment phase: The rebel player assigns some of his leaders to missions. Then the Imperial player does as well.

For the first turn when I am rebels, I typically put four cards from my hand face down on the table and place one leader on each of them,

When I am Imperial, I tend to place at least 2 cards face down on the table with one leader on it, I leave the remainder in my leader pool (to move fleets)

2. Command Phase: Starting with the rebel player, each player will choose one mission on the table or one leader in his pool to take that "action". Then the other player resolves one of theirs. In my example above, the rebels go on 4 missions while the Imperials go on 2 and move two fleets. They resolve this by R-I-R-I-R-I-R-I. Those leaders stay on the board until the refresh phase.

3. I think you have the refresh phase correct.

I think you were doing this with just one mission/leader and then moving to the refresh phase.

The build is accurate, Most games I play only last 6-8 turns and I suspect with the method I think you were using you got into a lot less combats than you normally would. Bumping up against components limitations is not unusual.

And yeah I think Rebellion is a lot like Rebellion.

Make sure that you are only building new units on the even number turns, while moving units down the production track every turn. Additionally, only the left most icon may be produced on subjugated systems. Sabotage obviously turns off your ability to produce AND deploy to that system, but so also does "blockading." If you have imperial ground troops in a system where rebels have placed some X-Wings, you cannot produce or deploy there either. (obviously the X-wings can't fight the troopers and vice-versa, so they just blockade).

When you play missions correctly, you'll be capturing leaders during the command phase as they are sent out and remain for a few rounds of commands (missions, fleet movements).

ok so it looks like we were doing missions wrong by limiting ourselves to only one mission OR moving to a planet

So can you move mutiple fleets to adjacent planets? or just 1?

Also for building, say I have a planet that has a "1" for the build que, the way we were playing last night with how it sounded in the instructions was that you can immediatly deploy those units since you also move things down 1 in the build que and since those start at 1 they immedialty get deployed.

Also what happens if say I have a subjagated system as Empire and he tries to battle me there, but looses and we both still have forces there? Last night I had a planet under subjagation and had some TIES and assault carrier in space, plus some ground troops. I killed all his ground troops, but for the space battle he still had one X-wing remaining in orbit. What happens at that point? Do we automatically battle it out again the next round?

You can move multiple fleets into one system if you activate that system and all the ships are in adjacent systems to the on being activated. Its kinda cool when the rebels go from a group of rag-tag pickets to a fleet that is challenging the empire locally.

Also for building, say I have a planet that has a "1" for the build que, the way we were playing last night with how it sounded in the instructions was that you can immediatly deploy those units since you also move things down 1 in the build que and since those start at 1 they immedialty get deployed.

Yep. technically it goes on the one space and then gets deployed right after, which may make bookkeeping easier, but its the same net effect.

Also what happens if say I have a subjagated system as Empire and he tries to battle me there, but looses and we both still have forces there? Last night I had a planet under subjagation and had some TIES and assault carrier in space, plus some ground troops. I killed all his ground troops, but for the space battle he still had one X-wing remaining in orbit. What happens at that point? Do we automatically battle it out again the next round?

Can you clarify? You don't end a combat until such time as only one side side has units in space or ground. You will never end a combat with an X-wing and a TIE Fighter in the same space. You immediately proceed to another round of combat. You can end up with Imperials on the ground and Rebels in Space or vice versa, but never in the same space.

Also I reread my instructions on Command phase above and while its more accurate than how you were playing, its not 100% accurate, re read the section for how it proceeds. eg. you can move a fleet instead of activating a mission on your turn and passing is a whole other thing.

Think of it this way- a system you activate acts like a magnet. Any friendly adjacent fleet may move toward it.

In many wargames, you're moving a unit or group from one place to another. In Star Wars Rebellion, you're moving any units adjacent to a system (provided they have transport capacity) to that system.