small expansion, Bs and Bombers

By aknorthroader, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Been working through my head how to include other ships without upsetting the apple cart. I was thinking of adding B wings and Bombers. They could only be built on Blue triangles planets with a build time of 2 or 3. The benefit of them would be they could either do a black die of damage or a red, player's choice. However, the downside would be that they can be harmed by either a black or red die.

Thoughts?

Been working through my head how to include other ships without upsetting the apple cart. I was thinking of adding B wings and Bombers. They could only be built on Blue triangles planets with a build time of 2 or 3. The benefit of them would be they could either do a black die of damage or a red, player's choice. However, the downside would be that they can be harmed by either a black or red die.

Thoughts?

Thought of an idea for expansion HERE which includes B-wings Bombers A-wings and Interceptors.

Thing is The B-wings will displace Y-wings A-wings will Displace X-wings, and TIE Interceptors will displace well TIE Fighters. The only ship that will not displace anything is the TIE Bomber because Imperials have no Red attack black health ship. But as for all the other ships they are still fighters so 1 black health and the only way to make them different is to double the attack dice which would make them better overall.

My idea was to lock the newer fighters behind a mission or project. When that is complete you can play with the newer stuff which would likely have double the attack dice. Another way to bring back the old stuff without making them completely obsolete or useless is to have projects/missions that upgrade the older units. Such as TIE Fighters come out 2 per triangle, X-wings gain a red attack die, Y-wings get +1 health.

A-wings replacing X-wings simply wouldn't be lore accurate. Both units serve different purposes and have different strengths and weaknesses. In fact some could argue that the A-wing in a 1 to 1 comparison with the X-wing is an inferior starfighter.

B-wings are mostly superior to Y wings but are incredibly expensive. Having a few cards that make a limited number of A or B wings seems like a reasonable expansion.

A-wings replacing X-wings simply wouldn't be lore accurate. Both units serve different purposes and have different strengths and weaknesses. In fact some could argue that the A-wing in a 1 to 1 comparison with the X-wing is an inferior starfighter.

B-wings are mostly superior to Y wings but are incredibly expensive. Having a few cards that make a limited number of A or B wings seems like a reasonable expansion.

The A-wings don't completely replace X-wings. Sure A-wings will be best as 2 black attack dice and 1 black health which would be overall better than an x-wing with 1 black attack die and 1 black health both taking the blue triangle. But again I also suggested a "research" ability that gives the X-wing a red die. Consult the chart below All are Blue Triangle units. The ==> arrow explains that a project/mission is needed to "research" the unit or unit upgrade

X-wing

Attack 1 Black 0 Red; 1 black health ==> Attack 1 Black 1 Red; 1 black health

Y-wing

• Attack 0 black 1 Red; 1 black health ==> Attack 0 Black 1 Red; 2 black health

A-wing

• unavailable ==> Attack 2 Black 0 Red; 1 black health

B-wing

• unavailable ==> Attack 0 Black 2 Red; 1 black health

Tie Fighter

• Attack 1 Black 0 Red; 1 black health ==> Attack 1 black 0 Red; 1 black health (2 per blue tirangle)

Tie Bomber

• Attack 0 Black 1 Red; 1 black health ==> bombing run

Tie Interceptor

• unavalible ==> Attack 2 Black 0 Red; 1 black health

Tie Defender :P

• Attack 2 Black 1 Red; 2 black health

Actually the last one is a joke. Besides the Gozanti (and the Raider) there is no need to look past the movies.

I think a more ballanced approach to B wings would be 2 black health and 1 red dice. That feels more in key with the lore and simply improves their survivability. so yes it's an improvement to draw the card that allows you to build them but not THAT big of a deal.

Imperials don't need a fighter that rolls a red die. Their carriers will provide the red dice. What they could use is a fighter that doesn't need a carrier, like a TIE Advanced.