After Rogue One, do you think there will be a Rouge One Expansion?

By Marinealver, in Star Wars: Rebellion

So when watching the movie Rogue One, it reminded me more of this game than the Star Wars movie. But still with all the new locations and people and missions and such do you think FFG will release a Rogue One Expansion for Star Wars Rebellion?

Edited by Marinealver
spelling

Yeah I could see it. I like The idea of a U wing, a ground unit with carry capacity (so it can travel from one system to another, ignoring space units) but maybe it can only carry troopers, that could be interesting. It could be an orange circle unit with less attack than a speeder or be built through cards.

Rogue One is already included in the game:

death-star-plans.png

Rogue One is already included in the game:

death-star-plans.png

:lol:

Well was it all in the game? I can't find Sarif anywhere on the Board. ;)

An expansion, no, I doubt it - but a new Rogue 1 game using the basic rules concepts could work...

I've not convinced this game requires an expansion and it certainly doesn't need an expansion based on that mediocrity. Maybe give it a mission card or two as part of a larger expansion, maybe add Jyn or Krennic as leaders, if there just has to be an expansion but certainly not its own expansion. I still don't know most of the character's names and likely still wouldn't know "Krennic" if he weren't in Battlefront.

This game was born practically perfect and with a level of excellence that deserves considerably better than to be tainted with Rogue One's copious shortcomings.

On 1/20/2017 at 1:33 PM, Frimmel said:

I've not convinced this game requires an expansion and it certainly doesn't need an expansion based on that mediocrity. Maybe give it a mission card or two as part of a larger expansion, maybe add Jyn or Krennic as leaders, if there just has to be an expansion but certainly not its own expansion. I still don't know most of the character's names and likely still wouldn't know "Krennic" if he weren't in Battlefront.

This game was born practically perfect and with a level of excellence that deserves considerably better than to be tainted with Rogue One's copious shortcomings.

I liked Rouge One better than Force Awakens myself - I enjoyed the fact that it didn't feel like it wanted to be a reboot.

But I agree that this game seems practically perfect (though my experience is limited). Assuming no problems arise due to imbalance or too few viable lines of play, it's hard to imagine an expansion that actually makes the game better.

Adding new major mechanics might only obscure the core game. They could add a bunch of extras - new missions, objectives, leaders, etc. But any more than a small influx would dilute the decks and make it harder to find the characters and missions more central to the plot of the trilogy. eg, having more peripheral characters in the action deck will make it harder to find the likes of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Boba Fett. Do we want that?

On ‎13‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 9:35 AM, Marinealver said:

I can't find Sarif anywhere on the Board.

Because this isn't Deus Ex.

7 hours ago, Narcissistic Cannibal said:

Because this isn't Deus Ex.

Are you sure? That guy in all black was pretty awesome.

On 1/13/2017 at 0:35 AM, Marinealver said:

:lol:

Well was it all in the game? I can't find Sarif anywhere on the Board. ;)

Scarif is right next to Rodia. They are essentially the same system. No need for a change.

4 minutes ago, davidumstattd said:

Scarif is right next to Rodia. They are essentially the same system. No need for a change.

What about the other planets in the movie? Also there was suspiciously lack of Rodiarians in the movie. We should have seen Gredo before Ponda Boba.

1 minute ago, Marinealver said:

What about the other planets in the movie? Also there was suspiciously lack of Rodiarians in the movie. We should have seen Gredo before Ponda Boba.

There are over a hundred million inhabited planets in the star wars galaxy. Would you prefer a game with that many regions or a game with general regions that incorporate several systems and are titled by their most prominent or important system?

1 hour ago, davidumstattd said:

There are over a hundred million inhabited planets in the star wars galaxy. Would you prefer a game with that many regions or a game with general regions that incorporate several systems and are titled by their most prominent or important system?

To include systems like Dagobah, or Endor? When you can literally build the Deathstar at any other System? Sure the map is flawed and imperfect. We can make the Galaxy a much bigger place as all galaxies should be.

Now I understand the hesitation to a map extension. It will tip the balance (if one could call it that) in favor of the Rebels as Imperials now have more planets to search thus making it easier for the Rebels to hide the rebel base. However as I said before it is not a flaw of the map but really a flaw of the LotR Fellowship countdown mechanic in the game. A mechanic that could be tweaked to compensate for this.

Edited by Marinealver
On 3/20/2017 at 3:00 PM, Marinealver said:

To include systems like Dagobah, or Endor? When you can literally build the Deathstar at any other System? Sure the map is flawed and imperfect. We can make the Galaxy a much bigger place as all galaxies should be.

Now I understand the hesitation to a map extension. It will tip the balance (if one could call it that) in favor of the Rebels as Imperials now have more planets to search thus making it easier for the Rebels to hide the rebel base. However as I said before it is not a flaw of the map but really a flaw of the LotR Fellowship countdown mechanic in the game. A mechanic that could be tweaked to compensate for this.

Dagobah and Endor are present because they are the most prominent systems in that region of space. And given that the base can be present in uninhabited random systems they include systems that represent underpopulated regions of space.

I don't understand your complaint.

What you should have said is "Why are Bespin, Hoth and Endor different systems when they are all really close to each other and part of similar areas." THAT would have actually been a legitimate complaint about the map. But you didn't argue that so I don't feel obligated to address it. But seriously. Those systems (and malastar) are the only systems that really don't fit. If you look at canon maps of the galaxy and compare it to the Rebellion map it's shocking how accurate the placement of the systems is. Again. Malastar is the only real incorrect system.

The reason there is "hesitation" on a map extension is because there is nothing in the unknown region. Especially during the times of the Galactic Civil War. We already have Endor and Illum which are basically in the unknown regions. Honestly I can only think of two system that could possibly be added to that side of the board. Namely Jakku and Thrawn's homeworld. But that's not really necessary in any stretch of the imagination.

And I don't understand your complaint that you can build the Death Star in any remote system. So what?

3 minutes ago, davidumstattd said:

Dagobah and Endor are present because they are the most prominent systems in that region of space. And given that the base can be present in uninhabited random systems they include systems that represent underpopulated regions of space.

I don't understand your complaint.

What you should have said is "Why are Bespin, Hoth and Endor different systems when they are all really close to each other and part of similar areas." THAT would have actually been a legitimate complaint about the map. But you didn't argue that so I don't feel obligated to address it. But seriously. Those systems (and malastar) are the only systems that really don't fit. If you look at canon maps of the galaxy and compare it to the Rebellion map it's shocking how accurate the placement of the systems is. Again. Malastar is the only real incorrect system.

The reason there is "hesitation" on a map extension is because there is nothing in the unknown region. Especially during the times of the Galactic Civil War. We already have Endor and Illum which are basically in the unknown regions. Honestly I can only think of two system that could possibly be added to that side of the board. Namely Jakku and Thrawn's homeworld. But that's not really necessary in any stretch of the imagination.

And I don't understand your complaint that you can build the Death Star in any remote system. So what?

What i should have said is the same as I have said. The Map isn't that accurate but it is not supposed to be. Mechanics do trump theme. However my major complaint isn't the Death Star in any remote system but the fellowship countdown which makes a map extension favor rebels.

Still a map extension is possible and as you have pointed out they don't need to be in the same sector as their so called "primary" system. They could be their own space on the map. There is plenty in the unknown region but it is unknown because of the story split from the EU means anything could be put into there.So maybe FFG wants to wait until a few more disney movies are out so they could fill it up.

You don't want an expansion, I understand. But for me i don't like the game in its current form. It has potential but it isn't that good of a game as of now.

Why does there need to be a map extension? Couldn't they just print map tile overlays, designed to cover existing sections of the board? This might be a way to include some systems from the newer source material (Scarif, Jedha, Atollon, Jakku, Takodana, whatever) without drastically the tempo of the game in favor of the Rebels. It would open up some interesting changes too: we could get new build combinations to subtly change how easy or hard it is to get certain units (they could even add new resource types, to cover new units). We could also see the borders of parts of the map redrawn, which would change hyperspace lanes and how easy (or hard) it is to access some parts of the board.

I wouldn't mind some potential map changes in an expansion, but doing it with a map extension would be a drag. I think map overlays could shake things up.

On 3/25/2017 at 2:49 PM, sionnach19 said:

Why does there need to be a map extension? Couldn't they just print map tile overlays, designed to cover existing sections of the board? This might be a way to include some systems from the newer source material (Scarif, Jedha, Atollon, Jakku, Takodana, whatever) without drastically the tempo of the game in favor of the Rebels. It would open up some interesting changes too: we could get new build combinations to subtly change how easy or hard it is to get certain units (they could even add new resource types, to cover new units). We could also see the borders of parts of the map redrawn, which would change hyperspace lanes and how easy (or hard) it is to access some parts of the board.

I wouldn't mind some potential map changes in an expansion, but doing it with a map extension would be a drag. I think map overlays could shake things up.

I think tile overlays is probably the best solution, actually. Can help with theme, as well as strategy. If a few different regions were slightly reconfigurable, we'd also see much more replayability. No more complaints that "Utapau is the prime first turn target" or anything.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:06 PM, Marinealver said:

What i should have said is the same as I have said. The Map isn't that accurate but it is not supposed to be. Mechanics do trump theme. However my major complaint isn't the Death Star in any remote system but the fellowship countdown which makes a map extension favor rebels.

Still a map extension is possible and as you have pointed out they don't need to be in the same sector as their so called "primary" system. They could be their own space on the map. There is plenty in the unknown region but it is unknown because of the story split from the EU means anything could be put into there.So maybe FFG wants to wait until a few more disney movies are out so they could fill it up.

You don't want an expansion, I understand. But for me i don't like the game in its current form. It has potential but it isn't that good of a game as of now.

Absolutely not. The map is incredibly accurate. Check out this map for a reference: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24505605#24505605

The systems are significant and important in the region. The placement of those systems are accurate to their in universe locations. And the placement of systems explains the necessity to move to certain systems before others (because of how supply lines and hyperspace lanes work.) Malastar is the only real exception as it's distance from Kashyyk and Toydaria is a too far in universe to denote a single move. Though Malastar is a major fuel depot and center for travel so having it a system you can travel far distances from makes some sense.

The Galactic Civil War did not take place in the Unknown Regions other than the battle of Jakku which arguably takes place after a Rebel victory in Rebellion. Nor was there really any reason to go to the unknown regions.

The Galactic Civil War was all about shutting down imperial activity in populous planets and imperial projects that would directly effect the rebellion. Thus there was little reason to go to the unknown regions.

On 3/25/2017 at 2:49 PM, sionnach19 said:

Other than Scariff nearly all those planets are tactically meaningless to the grand sceme of the galactic civil war. And at the end of Rogue One Scariff was kinda blown to hell so it wouldn't be significant for most of the war.

Sure you could include some of those planets if you wanted but it would mean removing more well known/important planets.

7 hours ago, davidumstattd said:

Other than Scariff nearly all those planets are tactically meaningless to the grand sceme of the galactic civil war. And at the end of Rogue One Scariff was kinda blown to hell so it wouldn't be significant for most of the war.

Sure you could include some of those planets if you wanted but it would mean removing more well known/important planets.

More well known and important planets like Malastare, Toydaria, or Cat Nemoidia? Planets which are never shown on screen and are completely irrelevant to the Galactic Civil War as depicted in any canon material? Scariff housed an important Imperial station, was the target of a Rebel raid, and attacked by the Death Star. Jedha was instrumental to the Imperial war effort by supplying kyber crystals, the site of a major Rebel insurgent group, and also attacked by the Death Star. Atollon was a Rebel Base and the site of a major skirmish in the years leading up to the Battle of Yavin. Jakku was the site of a major Imperial research installation, as well as the setting of the final large scale battle between the Empire and the Rebellion. I'm not sure how you can say these planets aren't significant to the Galactic Civil War, when... they were clearly significant to the Galactic Civil War.

Besides, it's pretty sensible for people to want to see planets they know from other media represented in their Star Wars game. I get that changing the map is not your prerogative here, and I couldn't care less myself; but surely you can understand why people would rather have the prequeul-filler systems on the map replaced with systems which appear in the recent films/shows/comics?

Edited by sionnach19
On 3/28/2017 at 11:11 PM, sionnach19 said:

More well known and important planets like Malastare, Toydaria, or Cat Nemoidia? Planets which are never shown on screen and are completely irrelevant to the Galactic Civil War as depicted in any canon material? Scariff housed an important Imperial station, was the target of a Rebel raid, and attacked by the Death Star. Jedha was instrumental to the Imperial war effort by supplying kyber crystals, the site of a major Rebel insurgent group, and also attacked by the Death Star. Atollon was a Rebel Base and the site of a major skirmish in the years leading up to the Battle of Yavin. Jakku was the site of a major Imperial research installation, as well as the setting of the final large scale battle between the Empire and the Rebellion. I'm not sure how you can say these planets aren't significant to the Galactic Civil War, when... they were clearly significant to the Galactic Civil War.

Besides, it's pretty sensible for people to want to see planets they know from other media represented in their Star Wars game. I get that changing the map is not your prerogative here, and I couldn't care less myself; but surely you can understand why people would rather have the prequeul-filler systems on the map replaced with systems which appear in the recent films/shows/comics?

Learn your lore. Cato Neimodia is the main center of the entire trade federation. An incredibly important region. And Malastar is so tactically important several battles have been fought over it in both the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War. I'm talking Canon material here. If you think the cannon is reserved to just the films then you're wrong. And FFG board games don't necessarily follow canon. From what I've seen they take from both canon and legends for their content.

At the end of the day you're complaining about planets that weren't present in the canon during the time of the game's design which is a bit silly. They always could have included different planets but then that would have felt like a void was felt.

But by all means. Given it's cartographic position in the galaxy and economic significance what planet would you have included besides Toydaria?

See, the problem is that you're basing significance entirely on population and cartography. Which is cool, I get it; you have a map of the Star Wars galaxy and you want to show it off. But you didn't address the actual, canon significance (as opposed to the theoretical cartographic significance) of all the planets I mentioned above -- nor the much more reasonable claim that not everyone who plays Rebellion is cool enough to have maps, and god forbid they want planets seen in the movies to be represented on the game board. I understand that some of these planets didn't exist back when the game was designed -- that's why we're in a thread about a hypothetical expansion, talking about using optional map overlays to represent systems better known by most fans. Maybe this conversation isn't for you?

But sure, this game should cater to the abrasive diehards with an atlas. By all means, have fun explaining the economic significance of Toydaria to your gaming buddies!

Edited by sionnach19
On 2017-03-29 at 1:11 AM, sionnach19 said:

god forbid they want planets seen in the movies to be represented on the game board...

...but surely you can understand why people would rather have the prequeul-filler systems on the map replaced with systems which appear in the recent films/shows/comics?

Do "prequel-filler systems" not count as "planets seen in the movies"? It sounds like you want this game to represent planets seen in movies that you liked but not the movies you didn't like!

How many movies/comics/series is Disney going to sanction? Are people going to want planets added/replaced/renamed every time there is new story published? Sorry, no. I don't understand this even a little bit.

I mean, I've stated multiple times that I have no dog in this fight. I'm totally fine with the map as it stands. I'm not arguing that the map needs to be changed. I like the map as it is, and enjoy the continuity it fosters between prequel material and the Galactic Civil War.

I'm also in a thread about a hypothetical expansion for Rogue One, and I've suggested a possible way to change the map in order to introduce systems from Rogue One without destroying the game balance. I've pointed out that the game's broad audience (meaning people who might be less invested in Star Wars lore than folks commited enough to visit FFG forums) would probably benefit from replacing some of the esoteric systems with more well-known systems from the recent films. That's a completely reasonable thing to say, even if it's not your preference (or even mine!). I've not bashed the prequel movies, nor clamored that the map needs to be changed every time Disney releases new material. Maybe if you bothered to consider my posts within the context of the ongoing thread, you would understand things a little better.

I'm not quite sure why folks feel the need to barge into this thread with no interest in the broader conversation, just to vehemently defend something which isn't under attack and criticize people for things they haven't said.

Edited by sionnach19