Padawan + Imperial Armory + It Binds All Things = Free Lightsaber. Check my logic?

By Ajones47, in Star Wars: Destiny

Hey hey. So I'm reasonably sure this is correct, but I thought I'd better check with the boffins (bothans?) first before I tried it out on the field of battle.

I have It Binds All Things in play, and a Lightsaber in my hand. I have 0 resources. I claim the Battlefield (Imperial Armory) to reduce the cost of the Lightsaber by 1 down to 2. I then exhaust It Binds All Things to reduce the cost of the Lightsaber from 2 down to 1. I then attach the Lightsaber to the Padawan, which, being a weapon, reduces its cost from 1 down to 0.

I just got a free Lightsaber.

Is this all copacetic? Am I missing anything? I feel a bit iffy about exhausting It Binds All Things after claiming, but at the same time I think it's legal because it's exhausted as a reaction to something occurring, not exhausted as an action. Comments?

Yup, this works. As it binds all things says before you play and imperial armory says to play an upgrade, you can exhaust the support while claiming.

As long as the padawan has no upgrades on her. Otherwise her ability doesn't trigger.

This just doesn't seem right. I would like an official response to clarify. I would argue that is 2 actions.

This just doesn't seem right. I would like an official response to clarify. I would argue that is 2 actions.

What is your reasoning behind it being 2 actions?

It Binds All Things doesnt have the "Action:" header, so what makes you think its an action?

Also, you can have a free lightsaber for the padawan with her ability and 2 copys of IBAT

It Binds All Things doesnt have the "Action:" header, so what makes you think its an action?

Also, you can have a free lightsaber for the padawan with her ability and 2 copys of IBAT

Nothing says Action: , so there is no action taken. There are a couple of steps involved, but no actions are performed. It Binds All Things says "Before you play a Blue upgrade, you may exhaust this support to decrease its cost by 1". No action, you are good to go.

If it WAS an action, it could never be used in a game, as you spend the action to activate it, and thats your turn, then next turn you can deploy an upgrade at cost-1. No. Same thought behind the yellow support Infamous.

If it functioned that was, as an action, it might read: "Exhaust this support and play an upgrade from your hand, reducing its cost by 1." As it is, I've interpreted it as being similar to 'My Kind Of Scum', as a sort of proto-reaction which occurs in-step with another action.

But I agree, it doesn't *feel* right, even though it is.