Custom Content + Old Game

By Tyroki, in DOOM: The Board Game

Reposting from my post on Board Game Geek:

I just thought of something.
For those of us who own the original doom, we can actually make scenarios out of both using either map pieces from the original (if you want a large map), or just pieces.

You could make map objectives using the old game (to save from having to make custom pieces), and easily run map spawning specific to areas on the map, allowing from much deeper play sessions =D

Not only that, but you could also bring back Key Cards using the original game, thanks to that actually being a thing.

One of the things this game misses out on from the Doom 2016 video game is exploration, which is something we can easily add ourselves.

Then I thought about it, and what if some maps have bosses specific to that map? You could easily add adjustments to a demon (or give choices by giving multiple for the Invader to choose from) as part of the map. Imagine giving an Imp 12 additional health, a glory kill rating of 11, one armor pip, and allowing its Charged Fireball to deal an extra black die instead of red. Heck, take the imp card, scan it, then add it to the map with your modifications.

For those without the old game (which you don't need for bosses), hope isn't exactly lost. While the maps are all super squished together for the objective guide, that doesn't stop you making nice, large, spread out maps with some cunning. Also, you could still make use of pieces from other games you own.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what people build from here, and I'm about to head upstairs to start messing with map configurations myself =D

Edited by Tyroki