FF updating Talisman and expansions before Feb 2017 deadline?

By Lipstickpaddy, in Talisman

As we only got into Talisman last Aug in 2016, it was a little unfair on the break up with Games Workshop that many shop sellers jacked their prices up. Especially now as the availablity is very low too.

So can anyone shine a light on whether we will see new stocks or made to order stock?

I cannot speak on behalf of FFG. But I am a board game hobbyist and have played hundreds of games. I keep a top 100 board game list check out my profile. Anyways, it is common for game prices to go up when games go out of stock, especially when they are going out of print and there is a demand.

I think twice since the announcement FFG had more stock added, but the 2nd was a false addition to the site and wasn't true, and reports came in on canceled orders.

I would check local game stores around you even travel a little ways away to see in such locations, and scour the internet for online game stores.

Good luck, I managed to get The City last week online after I noticed Amazon and a few other online places were showing it in stock for RRP but they sold out within 2 days! I had to order The Dragon from Malaysia because it was just impossible to get for under £70 in the UK.

Most local game shops I tried can't get them in from suppliers. Interestingly though I went into Games Workshop to ask if they knew anything about the future of Talisman and they said no future plans for reissuing expansions or a 5th edition and the fallout with FFG was pretty big.

Given how long it takes to make new stock and the variance in that timing, FFG are extremely unlikely to have any stock whatsoever in the pipeline.

Didn't Cataclysm come out just before the cancellation notice? Did that game even sell enough to make a profit?

Well I cancelled my City order today, Element games said they were waiting on FFG to print more and that could take a while. They were completely unaware they were going out of print in a matter of weeks, so rather than risk waiting for a last print run I have bought another copy from Beat The Bomb on Ebay.

Didn't Cataclysm come out just before the cancellation notice? Did that game even sell enough to make a profit?

I think the common accepted theory is that FF knew that Cataclysm was the final expansion. They put in some pretty unusually thorough thank-you's in the end notes to give you that impression. I would assume that sales were not a factor.

From what I understand, the contract was not pulled and simply not renewed. So I am sure both companies saw the writing on the wall, well before the date.

Most local game shops I tried can't get them in from suppliers. Interestingly though I went into Games Workshop to ask if they knew anything about the future of Talisman and they said no future plans for reissuing expansions or a 5th edition and the fallout with FFG was pretty big.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe GW could issue expansions unless the rights were sold to them. I'm pretty sure FF owns Talisman Property while the Intellectual Rights are over at GW... unless they kiss and make up, that is a recipe for eternal slumber.

I've been corrected :)

Edited by chemical22

GW owns everything made for Talisman. They can do what they want with anything FFG made for it.

GW owns everything made for Talisman. They can do what they want with anything FFG made for it.

Thanks for the correction. Did not realize that GW has a complete license for it all.

Edited by chemical22

Seems like it won't be happening, my bad.

On 10/01/2017 at 6:28 AM, Slev said:

Given how long it takes to make new stock and the variance in that timing, FFG are extremely unlikely to have any stock whatsoever in the pipeline.

I've contacted a bunch of stores in the UK to ask about Talisman.

Before new years I was told to wait until the New Year for new stock after they had contacted their distributor, who I assume to be Esdevium Games , and said to settle down till after the new year for more copies of the entire set.

In the first week for new years, I contacted another store to ask about stock of The Deep Realms and The Nether Realms , and they replied with:

I have checked the suppliers current stock list and unfortunately they are out of stock of all Talisman expansions.
They are having a massive restock over the coming weeks, so new stock is due soon but no confirmed date.

Edited by StartMeWithTalisman
Correction
On 1/26/2017 at 8:06 AM, StartMeWithTalisman said:

Seems like it won't be happening, my bad.

I've contacted a bunch of stores in the UK to ask about Talisman.

Before new years I was told to wait until the New Year for new stock after they had contacted their distributor, who I assume to be Esdevium Games , and said to settle down till after the new year for more copies of the entire set.

In the first week for new years, I contacted another store to ask about stock of The Deep Realms and The Nether Realms , and they replied with:

I remember when a 3rd edition with all expansions was selling for 1200-1500 on ebay... Be ready for some insane prices on 4th edition coming up.

I used a FB group to buy a talisman collection, it was much cheaper than eBay and cost me a bit less than RRP.

I went from no talisman to complete collection in one day, I'd played an earlier edition and knew I wanted to get this version to play with the kids as I don't trust GW to make a board game as good as FFG.

11 hours ago, JediKnightAmoeba said:

I remember when a 3rd edition with all expansions was selling for 1200-1500 on ebay... Be ready for some insane prices on 4th edition coming up.

Yep, I'm ashamed of the price I had to pay to complete my collection yesterday.

3 hours ago, mulletcheese said:

I used a FB group to buy a talisman collection, it was much cheaper than eBay and cost me a bit less than RRP.

I went from no talisman to complete collection in one day, I'd played an earlier edition and knew I wanted to get this version to play with the kids as I don't trust GW to make a board game as good as FFG.

Was it new or used? And care to leak what group this may have been, or how one would find these types of groups?

7 hours ago, StartMeWithTalisman said:

Was it new or used? And care to leak what group this may have been, or how one would find these types of groups?

I used the "board games & roleplaying games buy & sell UK & EU ONLY!" FB group.

It has over 6400 members and was suggested to me by FB, you could probably find it by searching for it.

The collection I got was used but well loved with all the cards sleeved, it was mostly complete with the few missing expansions still available for RRP on Amazon.

I just bought the entire Talisman series (except the Deep Realms and Nether Realms expansions) for $700 AUD brand new including postage. If you keep your eyes open, you can find a good bargain.

I toyed with the idea of buying another complete set for "resale" at a later date when the rarity goes up. But, to be honest, I would feel guilty making someone who loves the game pay through the nose. It's such a great game.

Edited by masterstrider