How to handle unusual dice

By anthonybarnstable, in Star Wars: Destiny

"If a player includes any cards in his or her deck that require a die, he or she must have the die matching that card’s collector number for each copy of that card."

Based on this rule, would a die whose collector's number matches a card but whose die faces do not match the card be allowed?

"DICE REFERENCES

A card that comes with a die has reference boxes that show all six sides of that die."

This rule tells me the faces do match, but does not address the scenarios in which they do not match, despite the tournament rules explicitly stating only the collector's number needs to match.

Given this, would you just treat the faces that don't match as the faces pictured on the card? Would you treat them as the faces pictured on the die? Would you as a tournament organizer utilize some other solution to this situation?

Have you ever played a game that allowed defective components if it would affect gameplay?

Have you ever played a game that allowed defective components if it would affect gameplay?

I have never played a game competitively whose rules allowed for such a scenario. But my dad professionally raced cars, a sport in which a book was written on why participants in a competitive event are expected to utilize anything that is within the rules as written in order to win.

I am looking for clarification as I expect I will likely be a tournament organizer in my area and want to as accurately follow the rules as possible.

I've also never played a game where the makers wouldn't replace components that are defective out of the box.

I have never played a game competitively whose rules allowed for such a scenario. But my dad professionally raced cars, a sport in which a book was written on why participants in a competitive event are expected to utilize anything that is within the rules as written in order to win.

I am looking for clarification as I expect I will likely be a tournament organizer in my area and want to as accurately follow the rules as possible.

If you allow misprints (as printed) to be played your players are going to very quickly lose all confidence in your judgement and either not play in events you TO or ask the venue to remove you as TO. Simple as that.

Edited by ScottieATF

Dice production are a huge problem for FFG with this game and will be a torn for them for some time. The makers of this game stated the manufacturing lead time was almost a year because of the dice.

In a dice game, having altered dice is considered cheating even if you are not the one that altered them. I am sure FFG has some way to send people fixed dice or will at some point in the future. In the mean time, don't be that guy trying to gain an advantage by using misprinted dice. The card clearly shows what symbols the dice are suppose to have.

I've also never played a game where the makers wouldn't replace components that are defective out of the box.

In the case of a dice they send you a booster, small comfort if you draw a legendary and get a BB-8 as a replacement. However, they do replace it, perhaps not as you and I would hope. I had this happen in a game made by WotC so I understand the disappointment.

The problem here is you are OK with a player cheating based on the replacement policy for damaged dice. But the two issues are separable, cheating is never OK.

Edited by Amanal

Section I-7-a

Unsporting Conduct

Players are expected to behave in a mature and considerate manner and to play within the rules and not abuse them. This prohibits intentionally stalling a game for time, placing components with excessive force, inappropriate behavior, treating an opponent with a lack of courtesy or respect, cheating, etc. Collusion among players to manipulate scoring is expressly forbidden.

The organizer, at his or her sole discretion, may remove players from the tournament for unsporting conduct.

Two things to note. While cheating isn't strictly defined, it is listed as unsportsing conduct. You as the organizer have sole discretion to determine if something is cheating or not and to remove them as you see fit. I would hope you would consider using misprinted dice as cheating.

If you don't, I've got a Han dice with an additional 2r damage side I would love to sell to one of your win at all cost tournament goers! I mean that won't be an unfair, meta breaking advantage at all, right?

Edited by WexAwn

Using an incorrectly printed die would obviously be unacceptable in my view.

However, while this probably wouldn't fly at a bigger event, if I was a TO at a casual tournament I would allow a proxy as long as they bring the defective official die with them to show they have it.

Since the cards have the faces printed on them you could easily substitute a regular d6 with 1-6 corresponding to the card top to bottom. Again though, only if they can show the defective die to demonstrate they own the official product and that a proxy is necessary due to manufacture defect beyond control of the player.

I don't think we will see a real comprehensive tournament rule book and structure for this game until FFG changes this issue. Right now, they simply do not have the stock to fix these issues. I suspect that will not be the case in the future. FFG has always put the utmost attention in proper customer satisfaction policies.

I don't think we will see a real comprehensive tournament rule book and structure for this game until FFG changes this issue. Right now, they simply do not have the stock to fix these issues. I suspect that will not be the case in the future. FFG has always put the utmost attention in proper customer satisfaction policies.

What exactly do you think this is going to delay? Event rules are posted, Destiny will have its first championship in May. With its first full event season following that.

What exactly do you think this is going to delay? Event rules are posted, Destiny will have its first championship in May. With its first full event season following that.

The current event rules are so obscurely written it hurts. This is an amazing 1 vs 1 game on a casual level. It has some more work to be done to bring it up to X-wing level.

I know many fans are hoping this game will see MTG like support, but right now FFG is not offering that. It's a fantastic casual game, but doesn't have the chops for consistent/serious tournament play yet. I'm hoping this changes when FFG has fixed the supply issues. That, right now, is more important than FAQs and tournament support. If fans can't buy the product, there won't be much of a tournament scene.

Edited by Stone37

However, while this probably wouldn't fly at a bigger event, if I was a TO at a casual tournament I would allow a proxy as long as they bring the defective official die with them to show they have it.

Since the cards have the faces printed on them you could easily substitute a regular d6 with 1-6 corresponding to the card top to bottom. Again though, only if they can show the defective die to demonstrate they own the official product and that a proxy is necessary due to manufacture defect beyond control of the player.

I think this is the only acceptable, rational, and ethical response. Anyone saying they'll refuse to play against a player with a defective die, but who isn't willing to allow proxies, completely misunderstands the issue. This is a game. You have fun, the other guy has fun. Showing up with a bad die due to out-of-my-control printing issues, and I make a good faith gesture to remedy the situation with a regular d6 proxy, and you shake your head and say "no way", it's going to turn people off from any Destiny gaming outside of friends and family. That ain't going to foster a community nor any type of enjoyable tournament scene.

The current event rules are so obscurely written it hurts. This is an amazing 1 vs 1 game on a casual level. It has some more work to be done to bring it up to X-wing level.

I know many fans are hoping this game will see MTG like support, but right now FFG is not offering that. It's a fantastic casual game, but doesn't have the chops for consistent/serious tournament play yet. I'm hoping this changes when FFG has fixed the supply issues. That, right now, is more important than FAQs and tournament support. If fans can't buy the product, there won't be much of a tournament scene.

People have made up in their minds that FFG will support this game like MTG does as far as OP. That is a completely made up unrealistic expectation.

Only one FFG game has Floor Rules, and it's not even X-wing. There is no judges program. Hell event reporting is barely required for SC level events. Literally nothing FFG does for OP should give anyone any expectation of MTG level support. Parsecs away from that would be an appropriate discriptor for FFG on that one.

As to obscurely written portions of the event rules could you elaborate as to which you are referring?

I think this is the only acceptable, rational, and ethical response. Anyone saying they'll refuse to play against a player with a defective die, but who isn't willing to allow proxies, completely misunderstands the issue. This is a game. You have fun, the other guy has fun. Showing up with a bad die due to out-of-my-control printing issues, and I make a good faith gesture to remedy the situation with a regular d6 proxy, and you shake your head and say "no way", it's going to turn people off from any Destiny gaming outside of friends and family. That ain't going to foster a community nor any type of enjoyable tournament scene.

I agree that there is a social contract when you play a game to ensure both players have fun. There is also a social contract that you make when you play in a tournament that extends to following the rules of play at that tournament.

Now, the way you have worded the reply you make it out that a player who doesn't like the use of the proxy is the one who will break these social contacts. When in fact it is the opposite, the player who is bringing a D6 to proxy out the damaged dice will be breaking his contract with me to ensure I have fun, as I will be continually asking what is the Symbol that is represented by a 4? My eyesight isn't all that great so I probably don't know myself. This will slow the game down, and if the game times out will he be fair and acknowledge that his play of the proxy cost us time and forego a possible win by count back? You are also breaking the tournament rules and thus breaking your social contract to follow them.

How is it then on me if I don't let this diminish my fun, potentially take advantage of me and quite knowingly break the tournament rules? Actually, how is it that you have "a good faith gesture to remedy the situation" by not playing in accordance to the rules? Are you suggesting that cheating is OK if I do so in "good faith"?

I can 100% empathise you not getting the correct dice and having the terrible end of the FFG replacement policy but that does not support the argument that I would or should allow a proxy dice.

The most acceptable solution would be that the player wanting to use the card without the dice asks for a loaner before the tournament or doesn't play that card.

Edited by Amanal

I agree that there is a social contract when you play a game to ensure both players have fun. There is also a social contract that you make when you play in a tournament that extends to following the rules of play at that tournament.

Now, the way you have worded the reply you make it out that a player who doesn't like the use of the proxy is the one who will break these social contacts. When in fact it is the opposite, the player who is bringing a D6 to proxy out the damaged dice will be breaking his contract with me to ensure I have fun, as I will be continually asking what is the Symbol that is represented by a 4? My eyesight isn't all that great so I probably don't know myself. This will slow the game down, and if the game times out will he be fair and acknowledge that his play of the proxy cost us time and forego a possible win by count back? You are also breaking the tournament rules and thus breaking your social contract to follow them.

How is it then on me if I don't let this diminish my fun, potentially take advantage of me and quite knowingly break the tournament rules? Actually, how is it that you have "a good faith gesture to remedy the situation" by not playing in accordance to the rules? Are you suggesting that cheating is OK if I do so in "good faith"?

I can 100% empathise you not getting the correct dice and having the terrible end of the FFG replacement policy but that does not support the argument that I would or should allow a proxy dice.

The most acceptable solution would be that the player wanting to use the card without the dice asks for a loaner before the tournament or doesn't play that card.

Which tournament rules specifically did the opponent break? The die is not damaged, the die is perfectly in tact as it originally was when opened directly from the booster.

As for some of your other points: you mention having a tough time seeing your opponent's cards from a distance, but you have no problem seeing their dice from that same distance? Would that issue be entirely resolved if they just played that one die much closer to you? I think some reasonable attempts to accommodate special needs should be acceptable, but unreasonable refusal to attempt anything to accommodate special needs seems quite unsporting.

As for others claiming a die that does not match a card makes the die incorrect, how are you determining it is the die that is wrong? Why is it not the card? Why does it have to be a mistake rather than an intended variation by FFG (not by the original designer, but it could have been made after it was out of his control by the company producing the game, FFG)? I have certainly played other games where there were multiple game elements that looked similar but had different game functionality.

Which tournament rules specifically did the opponent break? The die is not damaged, the die is perfectly in tact as it originally was when opened directly from the booster.

As for some of your other points: you mention having a tough time seeing your opponent's cards from a distance, but you have no problem seeing their dice from that same distance? Would that issue be entirely resolved if they just played that one die much closer to you? I think some reasonable attempts to accommodate special needs should be acceptable, but unreasonable refusal to attempt anything to accommodate special needs seems quite unsporting.

As for others claiming a die that does not match a card makes the die incorrect, how are you determining it is the die that is wrong? Why is it not the card? Why does it have to be a mistake rather than an intended variation by FFG (not by the original designer, but it could have been made after it was out of his control by the company producing the game, FFG)? I have certainly played other games where there were multiple game elements that looked similar but had different game functionality.

If his vision is a problem and he can't read a d6 from across-the-table distance, I've a solution.

af2f5c9aa7232d36380ac88ef3b5bb2f.jpg

Are you actually asserting that FFG purposefully decided to manufacture dice that match no die reference on any version of the card they correspond to?

What games have you played in which misprinted product is ever legal for use as is? Game elements looking similar is not even remotely similar to a misprint. Eventually we will have multiple Like Skywalkers. Those will look similar but be distinct from each other in function. That is not the same as Luke Skywalker die that has an extra melee side and doesn't match the Luke Skywalker card.

If you really need an official ruling for what is common sense, go ask FFG. But as I said before if you run events and allow players to use dice that do not match the intended die facings for that character, upgrade, or support; players will opt out of playing in events you run or ask the venue to not allow you to run events. And they absolutely should do so because if this is indicative of your judgement you shouldn't be running events.

Edited by ScottieATF

Because the die doesn't match the card, nor any other copy of the card, nor the digital card list provided by FFG through CardgameDB.

Are you actually asserting that FFG purposefully decided to manufacture dice that match no die reference on any version of the card they correspond to?

What games have you played in which misprinted product is ever legal for use as is? Game elements looking similar is not even remotely similar to a misprint. Eventually we will have multiple Like Skywalkers. Those will look similar but be distinct from each other in function. That is not the same as Luke Skywalker die that has an extra melee side and doesn't match the Luke Skywalker card.

If you really need an official ruling for what is common sense, go ask FFG. But as I said before if you run events and allow players to use dice that do not match the intended die facings for that character, upgrade, or support; players will opt out of playing in events you run or ask the venue to not allow you to run events. And they absolutely should do so because if this is indicative of your judgement you shouldn't be running events.

I was unaware of cardgamedb, is this some official FFG page? It seems to have a lot of their products.

It is possible FFG produced variant secret rare dice with different faces on them. Why they chose not to produce matching cards for those high rarity dice is beyond me, I find that to be an odd choice if these are intentional prints.

Heroclix produced a figure that had a game effect based on the height of the sculpt. It has never come up at an official event, but I suspect if someone tried to play a copy they pulled from a booster that was damaged in such a way to make it shorter than the expected height of it, it would likely be allowed. Heroclix has many game elements that were errataed that remain legal for tournament play (and I would argue if it was errataed, it is hard to consider that not to be a misprint). True Dungeon also routinely allows errataed tokens to be used, ignoring what is printed on the game element in place of the errata. I am uncertain of Magic's policy on the matter, but I suspect they would allow cards that have a misprinted card front (or even card back if it were sleeved). As for games that allow game elements printed with game information the tournament rules writers (not local judges, but the people in charge of that wonderful tournament rules document) state is not associated with that game element (for a Star Wars Destiny example, a card for Admiral Ackbar that was packaged with a die that has the collector's number for Leia), I cannot think of any such game, but every game that does this is incredibly explicit about what this covers and does not leave it open to interpretation of the intent of this rule. And most of them have very strong product replacement programs in place and/or very high quality control such that the issue is non-existent all-together.

Because the die doesn't match the card, nor any other copy of the card, nor the digital card list provided by FFG through CardgameDB.

I was unaware of cardgamedb, is this some official FFG page? It seems to have a lot of their products.

It is possible FFG produced variant secret rare dice with different faces on them. Why they chose not to produce matching cards for those high rarity dice is beyond me, I find that to be an odd choice if these are intentional prints.

Heroclix produced a figure that had a game effect based on the height of the sculpt. It has never come up at an official event, but I suspect if someone tried to play a copy they pulled from a booster that was damaged in such a way to make it shorter than the expected height of it, it would likely be allowed. Heroclix has many game elements that were errataed that remain legal for tournament play (and I would argue if it was errataed, it is hard to consider that not to be a misprint). True Dungeon also routinely allows errataed tokens to be used, ignoring what is printed on the game element in place of the errata. I am uncertain of Magic's policy on the matter, but I suspect they would allow cards that have a misprinted card front (or even card back if it were sleeved). As for games that allow game elements printed with game information the tournament rules writers (not local judges, but the people in charge of that wonderful tournament rules document) state is not associated with that game element (for a Star Wars Destiny example, a card for Admiral Ackbar that was packaged with a die that has the collector's number for Leia), I cannot think of any such game, but every game that does this is incredibly explicit about what this covers and does not leave it open to interpretation of the intent of this rule. And most of them have very strong product replacement programs in place and/or very high quality control such that the issue is non-existent all-together.

Seeing as ffg is providing a free pack if you receive a misprinted dice (with receipt and picture of dice) and there has been an abundance of information regarding misprinted dice and manufacturing difficulties hold back release and availability of the product, I believe you are safe to assume that misprinted dice are not intentional and will be unusable in any officially sanctioned tournaments.

1. FFG acknowledge's them as misprints and offers replacement of the defective product, the booster pack.

2. Many games use to have odd rules like true line of sight. Once they figured out it didn't work once people started modding their miniatures, which is otherwise legal, they got rid if it. In the 90s... Heroclix currently dies not care about the physical size of the model.

3. Speaking of Heroclix, they not uncommonly have figures made with the incorrect dial. Above certain rarity they will not replace them. They are not legal for tournament play and use of one will at best get you a game loss if not a DQ.

3. An official errata is not the same as a misprint. The errata is a purposeful overwrite to the printed whatever on the game component. A card being errata'd so that it's use for play is different then printed is not equivalent to an accidental misprint.

4. MtG will allow misprints provided that the misprint in no way obscures or alters the function of the card. A spelling error or some odd color splash would be legal. A card showing the incorrect mana cost or attack/defense would absolutely not be legal. If you attempted to use one of those in a tournament as printed then you'd at best be taking a game loss or DQ. In this case we are not talking about an error in the card that doesn't effect play we are talking the equivalent of a 3/3 creature printed as a 8/3. That would not be allowed.

Seriously you should not be running events with this type of reasoning.

Edited by ScottieATF

p4: "If a player’s die or card becomes damaged during the course of a tournament, he or she has an opportunity to find a replacement...."

FFG defines a defective dice as one that that does not match the card, if that happens you qualify for the replacement of the whole booster. As per the FAQ on Parts Replacement "If there is a factory defect with a die, we will send out a sealed booster pack as a replacement."

p3: UNSPORTING CONDUCT

Players are expected to behave in a mature and considerate manner and to play within the rules and not abuse them. This prohibits intentionally stalling a game for time, placing components with excessive force, inappropriate behavior, treating an opponent with a lack of courtesy or respect, cheating, etc. Collusion among players to manipulate scoring is expressly forbidden.

The organizer, at his or her sole discretion, may remove players from the tournament for unsporting conduct.

The dice while they are in the pool are a bit closer to me than the cards and far move visible than when they are removed and placed on a card. A proxy dice leaves me no choice, but looking down the card to corresponding icons, that isn't exactly in the best range for my vision. But as this solution only addresses one of the problems you face I am still inclined to suggest I would be asking you replace the dice as it is damaged. You will still slow the game, and you are still breaking the social contracts with me as an opponent and the tournament on the whole as you are not playing by the rules.

If the card is wrong then replace it, as per p4 on damaged components.

Seriously, the problem I have is this whole argument pivots around the idea that I am not abiding by my social contracts with you, and that I and the Tournament Leader would have to be terrible people for not allowing you to play with a dice that was defective. Why am I a jerk for saying no, play by the rules, play by the social contracts with regards to me and the rest of the people at the tournament. You cannot justify any of that just because you were unlucky enough to have been sold a booster with a defective dice in it. Which if it was a BB-8 or Rey's Staff you would be quite happy to make a customer service claim to have the damaged dice replaced by a booster. Yet because the dice is either a very important rare or legendary you then want something else.

I'm gonna give everyone a tip.

This guy is gonna argue pedantically about minutia and rules he wishes were there until the cows come home. This is his way of saying the tournament rules should cover misprinted dice. Maybe he is right. Time to move on!

To give you another example, this same guy felt that a game that typically had no more than 10 figures per side in a tournament setting (I'm being very generous here) needed to address what to do if someone brought more than 192 figures in a legal team and they didn't all fit on the map at the start of the game.

Obvious troll is obvious.

I think the problem here is that in your mind, you opened Darth Vader, so you now have a Darth Vader die, and should be able to play that no matter what, even if that die was wrong.

That's not how FFG (or, more realistically, Asmodee) sees and defines it. They'll send you a replacement pack. In effect, you never opened a Darth Vader at all - you opened a mispack which had no (legal) die in it, and they replaced it with a fresh pack. You're basically expected to throw it away and take a do-over. You may not like this outcome, but it's by no means unacceptable, irrational, or unethical (much less all of the above). And there's certainly nothing unacceptable, irrational, or unethical about an opponent not wanting to play with your make-believe dice because you wanted to keep your first roll.