rubble and a wall

By napoleonWilson, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Ok...just got the game and had a major breakdown.

In the very first basic game map, "into the dark", there is a portion of the map where there is a long rubble obstacle that meets a wall corner. It is near where a master spider and the bat like creature is sitting.

Through the course of the game a player got into the corner right next to the rubble obstacle and this corner of the wall. It is the right side of the rubble wall. There was a monster diagonally located in the corner space, diagonally adjacent from the the player. Typically, we assume that a player may attack diagonally, however the Rubble obstacle and the Corner of the wall seem to form an impenetrable wall. we argue that one can draw a line from center of square to center of square, which is i guess technically true, but in essence then they are stabbing through a created corner between touching walls and rubble. Which is ridiculous.

The rules have no clear definition of this, and I wish I could explain it better. Maybe I can download a photograph, but I am hoping somebody kinda knows what I am talking about and can help. It really seems like cranking the rules on a technicality, that one can attack through a teeny, tiny, slender corner created by esentially 2 walls.

Thanks....

Napoleon.

napoleonWilson said:

Ok...just got the game and had a major breakdown.

In the very first basic game map, "into the dark", there is a portion of the map where there is a long rubble obstacle that meets a wall corner. It is near where a master spider and the bat like creature is sitting.

Through the course of the game a player got into the corner right next to the rubble obstacle and this corner of the wall. It is the right side of the rubble wall. There was a monster diagonally located in the corner space, diagonally adjacent from the the player. Typically, we assume that a player may attack diagonally, however the Rubble obstacle and the Corner of the wall seem to form an impenetrable wall. we argue that one can draw a line from center of square to center of square, which is i guess technically true, but in essence then they are stabbing through a created corner between touching walls and rubble. Which is ridiculous.

The rules have no clear definition of this, and I wish I could explain it better. Maybe I can download a photograph, but I am hoping somebody kinda knows what I am talking about and can help. It really seems like cranking the rules on a technicality, that one can attack through a teeny, tiny, slender corner created by esentially 2 walls.

Thanks....

Napoleon.

First, it helps if you have a question that you actually ask the question... cool.gif

Second the rules do have a clear definition.
DJitD pg4
Every space that is touching a given space (even at the corners) is adjacent to that given space.
pg9
In order to attack a space, the attacker must have line of sight to it. In other words, the attacking figure must be able to trace an uninterrupted straight line from the center of its space to the center of the space it is targeting.
pg11
Melee attacks can only be declared against adjacent spaces.
...Ranged attacks can be declared against any space to which the attacker has a line of sight.
...Magic attacks can be declared against any space to which the attacker has a line of sight.

pg10
LOS example, silhouette can see to the NE through the gap between a wall (corner) and a block.
It isn't clearly spelt out in the rules, but by definition every adjacent space is in LOS because there are no spaces for things that block LOS to be in between adjacent spaces. The exception is walls and doors which lie between spaces rather than in spaces, so can be between adjacent spaces and block LOS.
(Logically things can't block LOS to or from their own space or no figure would ever have LOS to anything.)

The problem isn't cranky the rules on a technicality, its the perspective you have chosen. The gap is not a teeny tiny slender gap. It just looks that way on the map board. The gap is in fact large enough for a normal sized figure to move through, shoot through and even swing an axe through.
You need to remember that each space is in fact quite a large area, probably at least 2mx2m given that most corridors are only 2 spaces wide. Things in spaces don't take up the whole space (if they did, how could figures move through friendly figures?), they just take up enough room to make it difficult to occupy or go through the main part of that area, so someone moving there would sort of go round the area. Some obstacles that are adjacent toother obstacles are in fact close enough to prevent passage between them (except for acrobats). These obstacles are at the NSEW points to each other. Other obstacles might be adjacent but you can still pass between them. These are at the 4 45deg angles to each other. It is actually rather neat that both interactions are representable with such a limited grid system if you think about it.

Remember, Descent is a tactical boardgame, not an RPG. It is limited in representation to a relatively clunky grid system and tokens/figures but does a remarkable job within those limitations.

Corbon has it correct.

A simple saying will help with your future descent games:

Logic + Descent = Madness

If you play the game as it is, without thinking about it and the various illogical things, you will understand and enjoy the game much more :)

Ok...so the player turns sideways, goes 2 dimensional and can attack through the corners of a wall...gotcha...ok well thanks for the quick answer to the question, as lame as it is.

napoleonWilson said:

Ok...so the player turns sideways, goes 2 dimensional and can attack through the corners of a wall...gotcha...ok well thanks for the quick answer to the question, as lame as it is.

How do you know the rubble is a wall and not a sufficiently large enough piece of broken rock to block forward movement but not along its edge? Using thematic arguments you make up based on flat2D representations will not get you very far in this game.

napoleonWilson said:

Did you even read the answer?

The game is full of this stuff. One has to learn to just ignore it.

We had a situation where a Skeleton tried to target a hero a few square away. Unfortunately another hero was in between them and blocked line of sight as the line from center to center went through a corner of that heros position. However when the skeleton in turn tried to target that hero, yes the one blocking LOS, shifting the line of sight to the center of the new target not intersected the corner of an obstacle, so no shot either way. Kind of rediculous really but there you go. We assumed by the time the skeleton elected to shoot at the new guy, he had moved a bit or whatever. Play on.

If you're looking for anything remotely resembling a reality engine, sell your Descent stuff immediately. You're better off starting with a game that was meant to be realistic than trying to manhandle it into shape or realign your wants.