Replacing Adeptus Ministorum background feature

By gorthano, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Adeptus Ministorum background grants the character the following ability: When spending a fate point to get +10 to a roll, character gets +20 instead.

So it makes the least useful way to spend a FP into a slightly better but still least useful way to spend a FP. I see how it could be better than a reroll if your target number is less than 20. I also see how it could be useful when you have a really important roll and you can spend a FP to get +20 and then spend another to reroll at +20 on a failure.

In sum, it seems that the ability is only useful when either 1) you are starting with abysmal initial chances of success; or 2) you decide before rolling that success is so important that you are totally willing to spend two FP to achieve success. This doesn't sit well with me mechanically.

Several other backgrounds have pretty lousy benefits that are only going to be worth their salt in certain types of campaigns (rogue trader fleet, heretek), but Administratum, AdMech, and Sororitas have pretty amazing benefits while Exorcised, IG, Telepathica, Arbites, mutant, and Imp Navy have useful abilities that could even be great or amazing abilities depending on the build of the character. I'm not sure what to think of Outcast. Seems like it could be useful, but in the five months of playing DH2 on a weekly basis, none of the characters in my game have acquired enough fatigue to penalize a stat let alone fall unconscious from fatigue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a house rule replacement benefit that is more in line with the second (middle) tier of background benefits? I am definitely not looking for anything supercharged.

My ideas so far:

• Keep as is, but additionally when using a FP to add an additional DoS to a successful test, instead add two DoS.
  • when spending a FP to reroll a test, gain +10 bonus on the reroll.
  • Reduce DoF on any failed test by two, minimum one.
  • Radiant Presence- friendly persons within 20m gain +10 to Willpower tests to resist fear, pinning, and intimidation. Does not affect teh character possessing the ability.

edit: it later occurred to me that getting a +20 to a roll is pretty great use of a fate point if performing a full auto ranged attack or lightning attack (especially with blade master). Maybe it doesn't need changing at all but I am still open to any suggestions.

Edited by gorthano

I think the first three ideas are reasonable, but the last one is a bit too powerful.

I don't think it's worth changing. I can't get my players to spend fate points as is so I don't even bother with the idea of their abilities not being good enough.

Out of the options you've suggested, I really like gaining +10 on the reroll after spending a FP. I'm a big fan of all of the different talents that allow free rerolls and considering that those talents often allow the reroll at a -10, this background ability would be quite useful.

An alternative ability could be something like where a Ministorum character would gain additional temporary FP equal to half their WPB (rounded down) at the start of every session. That's probably way too powerful but it does support the idea that the Ministorum relies on their faith in the Emperor.

I can see your points, but it is pretty good as standing, and as Doctor said; in my own experiences as GM (we're now midway into the 2nd campaign book) I'm having a hard time getting players to use their fate-abilities either.

My proposed change, if it need happen:

In addition to spending fate points, as per the rules on page 294 of The Core Rulebook...

When spending a fate point to get +10 to a roll, character gets +20 instead.

When spending a fate point to re-roll a test, additionally the character gains +10.

When adding one degree of success to a test, add two instead.

When instantly removing 1d5 damage from the character, roll 2d5 instead, and keep the more favourable result.

When recovering from being Stunned, the character may instead use the fate point to remove Blood Loss, if so desired.

When removing all levels of Fatigue, the character's movement rate counts as one step higher until the start of his next turn. This does not affect Agility or the Agility Bonus.

Tentatively:

When burning a fate point, roll 1d10. On a roll of 1, the fate point is not burned.

^ That's a lot of change, and if it were made I'd want to change other bonuses too, but it certainly makes it a great choice if you have four or more fate points to spend on a character.

Edited by TheWorldSmith

I'm having a hard time getting players to use their fate-abilities either.

Is it because the challenge / obstacles aren't hard enough?

Because I had that problem initially and after a little tweaking, they are now spending FPs at a good rate (0-1 left at Session end).

My players are just very lucky and efficient as it is, and my rolls are pretty abysmal.

So they rarely spend fate points unless I get lucky and say...disintegrate their leg with a slaught nightmare staff.