New Player looking for older APs

By michaelramm, in Quest Log Feedback & Support Forum

I am a relatively new player to LotR LCG and I have been trying to find some of the first and second cycle APs. It seems that they are now out of print and and are exorbitantly expensive on the secondary market. I have seen them going for between $40-80 per AP, if i can find them at all.

How does a new player like me (with only the Core Set) enjoy and advance my decks without the benefit of the heroes from the earliest APs?? I know that FF has released Nightmare version of the early decks, but my understanding is that those are for people with well-built decks and heroes from throughout the AP history.

To Fantasy Flight: Is there any thought to moving the original APs to the Print on Demand section so that you do not have to do long print runs and keep inventory available for retailers? From what I understand, the PoD is for customers like me, who want to pay to have a deck printed out and sent when I order it, not coming out of any inventory. Am I wrong about this??

Thanks, and looking forward to advancing in LotR since it is by far my favorite fantasy world.

Michael

The older stuff will get reprinted, it just gets reprinted very infrequently. As for building your decks there are many deck types you can build without early stuff. I recommend cardboard of the rings, hall of beorn, master of lore as far as resources. They do podcasts, twitch and YouTube play throughs. Also ringsdb.com hall of fame decks especially those by seastan, and beorn.

Please reprint Hunt for Gollum soon! I was disappointed as a new player not to be able to get the 1st Adventure Pack.

Edited by onebit

And I'd sign here.

Bought Arkham Horror.

Love LCG coop with solo playmode.

After one week I ordered all available expansions for it.

Then I bought LOTR:LCG CS. I don't know which game is better :)

Now I ordered The Massing at Osgiliath waiting for shipment.

Next thing is the Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle to buy. And that is the thing I must buy next ;P I am unable to break the order just to my will.

Unable to found nowhere in Poland or near Poland for resonable price all of those decks. Found one shop with all but Conflict at the Carrock so till this wont appear there, I cannot shop that. I'd go insane.

Thanks FFG for games and pls, reprint this cycle asap ;)

Regards!

You can find the old APs in other languagues since those are usually very behind on the print. So if you do not mind cards from other languages you should be able to find old APs.

On 24.01.2017 at 1:44 PM, Rozy said:

You can find the old APs in other languagues since those are usually very behind on the print. So if you do not mind cards from other languages you should be able to find old APs.

That'd be very evil thing to mix languages. And quality may differ.

Agree totally on this. I really want the shadows of mirkwood cycle APs too. I just picked up the game this month, as i was looking for a good solo thematic game. Ebay prices are out of control for these... $50?!

This is definitely fun, amazing art and theme, but hard solo. I like the challenge though, even though i hate to lose.

Thanks flightmaster for the resources. I need some help building something that will beat the 2nd scenario. I have core set and the dead marshes AP only. The black riders and the road darkens saga expansions are on the way.

Yep me too. Just started and want to play Mirkwood cycle and Dwarrowdelf. Found Hunt for Gollum but the others are more difficult.

For what its worth, I ran across the same thing when I first started and after much frustration I came to the realization that most of the buying guides effectively direct you to buying things in chronological order (of release) and ultimatly while that is not a bad way to do it if everything is always available, as you discovered, in practice this actually ends up being very frustrating.

The reality is that each adventure pack as part of a cycle, for each sphere introduces a "type" of deck to which both the heroes and the cards of that sphere are designed to work together. For example in the Mirkwood cycle you get exposed to Rohan and Decks and Eagle decks. These are great, but ultimatly linear, allowing you to more adapt a type of deck, rather then conceive a type of deck if that makes any sense.

More importantly, the value for money is actually better in Deluxe expansions than it is in adventure packs. Another words your far better of buying one Deluxe expansion then you are buying, one or even two adventure packs. You not only get more quests in a Deluxe pack, but you get exposed to an entire new "type" of deck for each sphere. This is true about the Saga expansions as well. For example with Black Riders you get Hobbits, which actually work with all Spheres allowing for a much great variation in deck types.

I guess what I'm saying is that I disagree with most of the buying guides that say "ok after core set you must get the Mirkwood cycle". Quite honestly I think your better of chasing down all of the Deluxe and Saga expansions first. Sure the heroes are different but in my experiance, each set is tailored for the heroes that come with it so they are all viable and they become more so with other Deluxe/Saga expansions.

If I were to put together a buyers guide (which I might at some point) it would look more like this

Core Set
Deluxe Expansions
Saga Expansions
Gencon Stuff
Then available adventure packs (from any set that is around)

The idea of being a completion is a kind of OCD aspect to how many collectors approach.. aka, I have Hunt For Gollum, now I must have Conflict at the Corrack, else there is no point of buying anything. Its a silly concept, Conflict at the Corrack is a fun adventure, but there are plenty of other fun adventures, in fact, I would argue most cycles have far more interesting and diverse quests then those found in the Mirkwood cycle and certainly those found in the Deluxe Expansions are tons of fun. In fact I would rate most of the Gencon stuff above Adventure Cycles, in my humble opinion they are kind of last on the list of priorities.

Sure there are lots of cool heroes you miss out on, but that is the case if you skip the Deluxe Expansions or Saga expansions.

As for card strength, there are great cards for building decks, you will find those in all packs.

My advice is don't sit around waiting for reprints in some vein effort to complete cycles. Buy what is available because, what is available now, will be out of print tomorrow and eventually you'll be looking for that stuff now. There is no reason not to go after it while its in print. Mirkwood like everything else will eventually come back, get it then.

On 1/24/2017 at 8:43 AM, Sarseth said:

Then I bought LOTR:LCG CS.

Now I ordered The Massing at Osgiliath waiting for shipment.

I hope you didn't get frustrated with Massing at Osgiliath... That scenario with just one core copy and no expansion is pretty close to impossible - Actually I'd be curious about the win ratio one could pull off with decks from just that card pool. All I want to say is that you shouldn't get frustrated about the game by playing against Massing with the core.

I