CCG storage for a beginner

By Attackmack, in Star Wars: Destiny

Ive never played or collected cards in this fashion before and am wondering how people manage this?

Do you keep your cards in binders, how many copies of each card should you keep before you start giving/throwing them away?

How would you divide your Destiny cards, by color, by faction, by type? Heroes vs villains?

I dont have many cards yet but already im starting to worry about how to keep and manage all of this!

Greatly appreciate any advice and tips on card managing, handling and storage

Hey, if anyone considers throwing cards away, PM me first!

Hey, if anyone considers throwing cards away, PM me first!

I dunno what one would do with the 10th version of the same card when you cant have more the 2 of it in a deck. I guess one could have several decks prepped and ready?

I devided them by Neutral/heroes/villains* and then by color.

You can have 2 of each non unique card, so I at the very least keep 2 copies if they are heroes/villain and 4 of they are neutral so I can use them in both decks. Some of the ones I use a lot, such as underworld connections, I'll keep more than twice.

There's realy not a reason to keep duplicates of battlefield cards, unless you wanna teach/ play against people who havn't brought their Destiny stuff.

A binder is a good way to store your cards. Or you could use a deck box (small box meant for holding cards)

I keep my excess dice in a small cardboard box.

At the moment I got 3 decks in a old WoW TCG deck box(slightly larger than a regular deck beck box and holds about a 100 sleeved cards. I got the dice sorted in 3 small ziplock bags (so I don't have to dig trough the whole bunch looking for the ones I need) and all the tokens in another small ziplock baggy. All of that fits snugly in a MTG fatpack cardboard box.- I'm sorry, a lot of this stuff is from other games I'm afraid, but it's not that important really You can make do with a lot of stuff.

The one thing I would advise is to sleeve your cards . Sleeves can be had from your local gamestore fo as cheap as 100 for a dollar or you could go for realy sturdy tournament quality sleeves wich are a bit more expensive. (I find the cheap ones work very well.)

For transporation of your dice, make sure the lid can be closed tight, we don't want it to fly open and spilling out all those darth vader dice do we? ;) I've hear tell not to use plastic inlays from the starter sets because they could damage the dice. Altough I find that a bit hard to beleave, they do are a bit of a pain to get the dice out tough.

Oh if you have a bike, you can stick excess cards inbetween the spokes and they will make a cool sound. :D

* I think that's the best way, otherwise you are constantly bemoaning the fact you can't include all these cool villain cards in your heroes deck. ;)

Edited by Robin Graves

You can have 2 of each non unique card, so I at the very least keep 2 copies if they are heroes/villain and 4 of they are neutral so I can use them in both decks. Some of the ones I use a lot, such as underworld connections, I'll keep more than twice.

There's realy not a reason to keep duplicates of battlefield cards, unless you wanna teach/ play against people who havn't brought their Destiny stuff.

A binder is a good way to store your cards. Or you could use a deck box (small box meant for holding cards)

At the moment I got 3 decks in a old WoW TCG deck box(slightly larger than a regular deck beck box and holds about a 100 sleeved cards. I got the dice sorted in 3 small ziplock bags (so I don't have to dig trough the whole bunch looking for the ones I need) and all the tokens in another small ziplock baggy. All of that fits snugly in a MTG fatpack cardboard box.- I'm sorry, a lot of this stuff is from other games I'm afraid, but it's not that important really You can make do with a lot of stuff.

The one thing I would advise is to sleeve your cards . Sleeves can be had from your local gamestore fo as cheap as 100 for a dollar or you could go for realy sturdy tournament quality sleeves wich are a bit more expensive. (I find the cheap ones work very well.)

For transporation of your dice, make sure the lid can be closed tight, we don't want it to fly open and spilling out all those darth vader dice do we? ;) I've hear tell not to use plastic inlays from the starter sets because they could damage the dice. Altough I find that a bit hard to beleave, they do are a bit of a pain to get the dice out tough.

Oh if you have a bike, you can stick excess cards inbetween the spokes and they will make a cool sound. :D

* I think that's the best way, otherwise you are constantly bemoaning the fact you can't include all these cool villain cards in your heroes deck. ;)

Thanks for the great description! Sounds like a good way to sort the cards, think ill try it that way :)

I have sleeved my cards already, though with cheap sleeves that I know from sorting my x-wing stuff are slightly too big for a good with inside binder pages.

Im thinking of getting those "perfect fit" sleeves instead which should fit better.

So far I have few enough dice to have them all in a small box and it doesnt make it too difficult to find the dice im looking for.

But I forsee issues unless I find a better box or boxes. Possibly even sort them in the same way as the cards, if I find a box suitable for it.

Do you "double sleeve" your cards? Ive never done it to any of my boardgames and it feels a bit overkill for a beginner.

On the other hand, ill regret it after Ive spilled that cup of coffee over my table D:

Edited by Soulless

Tackle boxes seem like a good solution

hs022.jpg

Once again, you can keep it cheap and simple or go all out big and expnsive.

Thanks for the great description! Sounds like a good way to sort the cards, think ill try it that way :)

4 copies of generic/neutral cards so I can build both a hero and villain deck should do, and 2 copies of uniques and affiliated cards except for those non-unique characters one might wanna swarm, those needs a few more.

Got a plan at least and my bike could always use some cards while I wait for summer and motorcycle season!

I have sleeved my cards already, though with cheap sleeves that I know from sorting my x-wing stuff are slightly too big for a good with inside binder pages.

Im thinking of getting those "perfect fit" sleeves instead which should fit better.

So far I have few enough dice to have them all in a small box and it doesnt make it too difficult to find the dice im looking for.

But I forsee issues unless I find a better box or boxes. Possibly even sort them in the same way as the cards, if I find a box suitable for it.

Do you "double sleeve" your cards? Ive never done it to any of my boardgames and it feels a bit overkill for a beginner.

On the other hand, ill regret it after Ive spilled that cup of coffee over my table D:

Nah I don't double sleeve. Like you say it's a bit overkill. If you are worried, use good quality sturdy sleeves. If you are worried about spilling liquids... Don't play with drinks on the table. (That's a bit of a house rule with me, I'll play with drinks on the table, but far, far away from the area where my game component's are.)

Generally speaking, no one throws away commons in CCGs. Instead they are placed in a box, put in a closet where they begin their slow decay over 100s of years rather than going into a landfill. The idea being maybe one or two of the commons from a set may be worth a few dollars each some day.

Generally speaking, no one throws away commons in CCGs. Instead they are placed in a box, put in a closet where they begin their slow decay over 100s of years rather than going into a landfill. The idea being maybe one or two of the commons from a set may be worth a few dollars each some day.

Right. And perhaps good to have if a card is damaged or otherwise lost.

Ive heard MTG players talking about their boxes with cards and its just...wicked...

Ive never played or collected cards in this fashion before and am wondering how people manage this?

Do you keep your cards in binders, how many copies of each card should you keep before you start giving/throwing them away?

How would you divide your Destiny cards, by color, by faction, by type? Heroes vs villains?

I dont have many cards yet but already im starting to worry about how to keep and manage all of this!

First off, splurge on sleeves. They'll keep your cards fresh and allow them to retain value should you ever want to sell them. If you see yourelf attending an OP event, remember to get opaque sleeves. Any will do, but as a general rule, solid color sleeves are tougher than printed image sleeves. If you go solid color, KMC and Dragon Shield are overall the toughest and will last you the longest.

Do get a binder. It'll help you organize your collection and conveniently browse through cards during deckbuilding. A good idea is to have two, a larger one to keep your collection and a smaller one with your 'for trade' cards to pass around at an event. The cheapest option is binder pages and a binder from the office supplies store, but for the trade binder you might want a dedicated gaming one since they're lighter and come in smaller sizes, making it easier to pass around. Also, if you notice your binder has textured pocket backs, remember to only put sleeved cards inside, otherwise it'll scratch them up over time.

A neoprene playmat isn't essential, but I personally heartily recommend it. You can get a very cheap generic one without any image prints at your local game store, and it helps keep your cards, and more importantly, dice, clean and scratch-free. Rolling on a bare tabletop is murder both for your dice and your eardrums.

When figuring out what cards to keep, first figure out how much of a set you want to end up. In a CCG, it's very expensive to get an entire set, so unless you have a LOT of disposable income, you need to manage your expectations. Do you want to eventually have everything? Do you see yourself only playing one faction/specific colors? Do you want to just build a couple good decks and won't use much else? Do you play with a friend or spouse that'll need you to make a deck for them as well? Then act accordingly. I feel there's not much worth in keeping more than a playset (2) of each card. Even if you want to build several decks, you can easily build good decks that have little to no overlap. If you do end up building decks with overlap, just get extras of the specific card(s).

Also, we're currently in the tail end of a period of extreme singles prices. The prices for Legendaries, Rares and sometimes even Uncommons are ridiculuous and have nowhere to go but down, and they will go down HARD within a month or two. If you don't mind having a bit less stuff right now and/or are on a budget, I'd recommend you build a deck or two and then sell every card that doesn't go in those decks. Chances are you'll be able to re-buy those same exact cards in a month or two for half the price you sell them at right now. At the moment, you can literally buy a box, crack it open, sell the singles and make at least a hundred bucks, prolly more.

When organizing cards in your collection binder, do whatever feels best for you. I tried doing it by collectors number, but found that was awkward for deckbuilding. I'm currently sorting by color, faction and card type in that order. Though TBH there's no best way, do whatever will be most comfortable to you, which might involve trial and error. When organizing your trade binder, the general rule is to put the most valuable cards up front.

For dice storage, you can do compartmentalized boxes, though be warned that there have been reports that plastic and acrylic storage boxes scratch up dice*. Apparently some people go for miniature storage foam trays, but IMO that's a bit overkill and takes up a lot of real estate. I personally have my dice collection loose in a cardboard box, Since those are largely spares that don't go into any of my decks, I don't move it much so they don't rattle around that much. If you see yourself attending events, it's a good idea to figure out a convenient way to transport and move your deck, dice and tokens specifically, without lugging the entire collection around. Personally I use the cardboard boxes from the Launch Party events, but you can prolly get similar sized cardboard storage boxes at your gaming store. Inside, I have a cheap Ultra Pro deckbox (again, your local gaming store has these) with my deck and character dice, and small hinged box for tokens. Upgrade and support dice go into the leftover space and fill the box nicely so that nothing rattles around. If you go a similar route, it may require some trial and error before you find boxes and containers that fit snugly.

Above all, don't worry, have fun with it. Spending time going through your collection, organizing it and blinging it out is a large chunk of the enjoyment of a CCG.

*Personally I'm not convinced they do, I'm wondering whether people who say that just got a slightly banged up dice in the pack (which DEFINETLY happens), didn't inspect it, threw it in a box and only noticed it's banged up afterwards.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

Seconding the playmat.

Not essential, but then again having a soft surface to roll your dice on has it's benefits.

I almost deafend myself back in the 90's rolling my Dragon Dice army on an oak table.

I have the Ultra Pro binder pages for the cards. I sort by Hero/Villain/Neutral, then within each of those by Blue/Red/Yellow/Gray, then within each of those by Character/Upgrade/Support/Event, alphabetically within each group. I have up to two of each upgrade, support and event, multiples of non-unique characters, and one of each unique character sleeved and sorted as above. Any extras are kept unsleeved in pages in the back.

For the dice I use a Plano Model 3730 box . I have twelve compartments, one each for characters, upgrades and support dice for each color and an extra one for the tokens. The box is deep enough to stack three layers of dice in each compartment, I've found them at Walmart for about half the price they're going for on Amazon.

Edited by DailyRich

First off, splurge on sleeves. They'll keep your cards fresh and allow them to retain value should you ever want to sell them. If you see yourelf attending an OP event, remember to get opaque sleeves. Any will do, but as a general rule, solid color sleeves are tougher than printed image sleeves. If you go solid color, KMC and Dragon Shield are overall the toughest and will last you the longest.

Do get a binder. It'll help you organize your collection and conveniently browse through cards during deckbuilding. A good idea is to have two, a larger one to keep your collection and a smaller one with your 'for trade' cards to pass around at an event. The cheapest option is binder pages and a binder from the office supplies store, but for the trade binder you might want a dedicated gaming one since they're lighter and come in smaller sizes, making it easier to pass around. Also, if you notice your binder has textured pocket backs, remember to only put sleeved cards inside, otherwise it'll scratch them up over time.

A neoprene playmat isn't essential, but I personally heartily recommend it. You can get a very cheap generic one without any image prints at your local game store, and it helps keep your cards, and more importantly, dice, clean and scratch-free. Rolling on a bare tabletop is murder both for your dice and your eardrums.

When figuring out what cards to keep, first figure out how much of a set you want to end up. In a CCG, it's very expensive to get an entire set, so unless you have a LOT of disposable income, you need to manage your expectations. Do you want to eventually have everything? Do you see yourself only playing one faction/specific colors? Do you want to just build a couple good decks and won't use much else? Do you play with a friend or spouse that'll need you to make a deck for them as well? Then act accordingly. I feel there's not much worth in keeping more than a playset (2) of each card. Even if you want to build several decks, you can easily build good decks that have little to no overlap. If you do end up building decks with overlap, just get extras of the specific card(s).

Also, we're currently in the tail end of a period of extreme singles prices. The prices for Legendaries, Rares and sometimes even Uncommons are ridiculuous and have nowhere to go but down, and they will go down HARD within a month or two. If you don't mind having a bit less stuff right now and/or are on a budget, I'd recommend you build a deck or two and then sell every card that doesn't go in those decks. Chances are you'll be able to re-buy those same exact cards in a month or two for half the price you sell them at right now. At the moment, you can literally buy a box, crack it open, sell the singles and make at least a hundred bucks, prolly more.

When organizing cards in your collection binder, do whatever feels best for you. I tried doing it by collectors number, but found that was awkward for deckbuilding. I'm currently sorting by color, faction and card type in that order. Though TBH there's no best way, do whatever will be most comfortable to you, which might involve trial and error. When organizing your trade binder, the general rule is to put the most valuable cards up front.

For dice storage, you can do compartmentalized boxes, though be warned that there have been reports that plastic and acrylic storage boxes scratch up dice*. Apparently some people go for miniature storage foam trays, but IMO that's a bit overkill and takes up a lot of real estate. I personally have my dice collection loose in a cardboard box, Since those are largely spares that don't go into any of my decks, I don't move it much so they don't rattle around that much. If you see yourself attending events, it's a good idea to figure out a convenient way to transport and move your deck, dice and tokens specifically, without lugging the entire collection around. Personally I use the cardboard boxes from the Launch Party events, but you can prolly get similar sized cardboard storage boxes at your gaming store. Inside, I have a cheap Ultra Pro deckbox (again, your local gaming store has these) with my deck and character dice, and small hinged box for tokens. Upgrade and support dice go into the leftover space and fill the box nicely so that nothing rattles around. If you go a similar route, it may require some trial and error before you find boxes and containers that fit snugly.

Above all, don't worry, have fun with it. Spending time going through your collection, organizing it and blinging it out is a large chunk of the enjoyment of a CCG.

*Personally I'm not convinced they do, I'm wondering whether people who say that just got a slightly banged up dice in the pack (which DEFINETLY happens), didn't inspect it, threw it in a box and only noticed it's banged up afterwards.

Thank you for such an informative reply, I appreciate it a lot!

I never thought of it but you are absolutely right, building a collection and managing that collection is a big part of the fun! Like painting can be for miniature games.

Im gonna drop by my local store the coming week and hopefully get the second Rey starter and some boosters and ill take a look at their binders and such then.

Ive been using my x-wing playmat while learning and testing the game so far. Since neoprene mats started circling ive used them for just about every and any game to the point I wouldnt even consider playing without one :)

My cards are in an ultra pro binder and the dice are in the trays that come in the starters . I bought 2 of each starter . each tray holds 18 dice and there are 67 dice in the set

My decks are in sandwich boxes

I'm using old vhs tape cases for my dice, the dice fit almost perfectly in them :)

Card go in a binder in number order

I'm using old vhs tape cases for my dice, the dice fit almost perfectly in them :)

Hmm, I have tons at my parents' place... Might have to dig them out.

I make my own tuck boxes for cards and dice that I am playing. I'm still trying to decide the best way to do the dice. Right now I have multiple sizes of tuck boxes for dice (8, 12, 16, 24). So if I have a list with 20 dice it uses an 8 and 12. I really like it a lot. The dice hardly move in the boxes which I like a lot. I have 3 complete decks and tokens in a pretty small Really Useful Box. I'm thinking about doing the same thing for dice not in a list, but the problem is that as I put them in a list the boxes get gaps in them which I don't want. I was thinking of just filling blanks with foam core "dice" (or just extra BB-8's and Rey's Staff since I have a lot of them), but I'm not sure yet. I use a binder for my cards I am keeping and then the ones I am willing to trade are in a box. I've been giving commons and a lot of uncommons away to new players.

I want to thank everyone who has replied to this thread, and especially Don_Silvarro for the lengthy and excellent post above!

As I mentioned im completely new to CCGs and I feel like everything Im about to do will be the wrong way of doing it! So getting tips and advice about even the most basic things is of great help to me and really makes me a bit more relaxed and lets me enjoy it all the more!

Ive said I didnt want to go all-in and dedicate myself to a game Im not sure ill be playing in a few months. That said I did end up getting some Dragon Shields Matte black sleeves and some Perfect Fits to go with that and ill be doublesleeving the cards. While a bit more time consuming its actually a quite joyful and relaxing experience to sleeve my cards while watching a movie!

And the extra cost of the Perfect Fits are negligible and if I dont start doing it now, resleeving everything later If I change my mind will be horrible.

So this extra cost and time is well worth it, even if it turns out Destiny is not my main game in a month or two ill still have a nicely packed and arranged game in my shelf.

I'll leave this here too. Iris 4x6 photo storage box.

post-225461-0-34526400-1483379814_thumb.jpg

Edited by skins1924