First full game

By Abaath, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

So I finally finished a full game tonight. The family and I had gotten started on about 3 games but never finished.

So tonight myself and 3 of my kids and one of their friends got through a whole game. I'll post a scrambled report here and then I have a question:

We picked Yig as the Ancient One.

We played the following investigators:

Kate Winthrop, Sister Mary, Joe Diamond, Mandy Thompson, and Jenny Barnes.

We got off to a very rough start. Our first mythos card was the one that you have to put a clue token on every Upkeep until you have 5 and then you have to draw two mythos cards each turn after that. Unless of course you paid 5 spells which no one had.

Our strategy was poor also. Need to pay attention to the Upkeep phase better. It cost us in upcoming battles that some of us weren't prepared better for horror checks, combat checks, ect.

We had 2-3 monster surges after closing and sealing only 1 whooping gate. Yig awoke due to the amount of monsters that we kept getting in the outskirts. We got him down to 25 life out of 50 but that was the best we could do. Bummer but it was fun.

My question is one that we keep running into in all the games we've played so far and it's this:

When an investigator moves to a space with a gate AND monsters on their movement phase you obviously stop and wait for the encounter phase...then what order is next?

Is it fight the monsters, if you beat them you go through the gate and then have an Other World encounter?? All on the same turn....That's how we've been doing it.

Abaath,

congratulations on completing your first game :) Happy you all had fun playing together :)

One first very important observation: you say that your first Mythos card was The Great Ritual . This card is a Rumor, and according to the rules, rumors (and cards not showing a gate opening) cannot be your opening Mythos. So, you'd have had to discard that card without resolving it and draw a new one. Also, it's not a card difficult to pass (general tip about strategy): you needed 4 spells (not 5) to pass it, and Spells can be bought at The Old Magic Shoppe. So, you could coordinate to give money to a couple of investigators to shop there, and in case, you can get a bank loan at the Bank to find the needed money. In this way you could have kept the rumor under control.

As for your question:

a) Movement: the investigator moves on the location with gate and monsters. During this phase, he must deal with the monsters, by either evading or fighting all of them (in any combo you wish of course: you may evade one, and fight the other two, for example). After this is done, and under the hypotesis that the investigator has not been driven insane / knocked unconscious, the movement phase for that investigator ends, and he stays, standing on the gate, until it's his turn again during the next phase (this is extremely important for strategy: if an investigator moves after you, he can come at your place, give you an Elder Sign, and move away, had he enough movement points to do so)

b) Encounters: the investigator now is sucked through the gate, and moves to the first area of the matching Other World

c) Other World encounters phase: the investigator now must resolve an OW encounter card whose color matches one of the colors of the OW you are at

It's very important that the phases are followed, otherwise you'll kill a ton of strategical options for the game.

Hope this helps :)

Awesome, that is soooo helpful. I KNEW that rule on the first mythos card and completely forgot about it......ugh. But thanks for the help....very helpful. We plan on playing one or two games tomorrow.

Good luck with those!