Im scared...

By Attackmack, in Star Wars: Destiny

...Because this looks too fun to not be playing but as im telling myself this, the Armada and X-wing collection in my bookshelf is ganging up to have me murdered D:

How often will we see expansions (waves) released for this one?

3 times per year according to FFG.

Yes, sadly far too often for the kidney you have to sell to grow back. This is a CCG, only bother if you have the disposable income to play it, otherwise run away. Between buying boosters, singles needed for a deck, drafts, tournament fees and prerelease events plan on $100-$200 a month.

Yes, sadly far too often for the kidney you have to sell to grow back. This is a CCG, only bother if you have the disposable income to play it, otherwise run away. Between buying boosters, singles needed for a deck, drafts, tournament fees and prerelease events plan on $100-$200 a month.

Only time will tell, but I think you're high on the cost. Considering cards are at a premium now and you could build eJango/eVeers, which is a tournament worthy deck, from scratch for around $120, I think it'll cost less. Especially after the supply increases and demand decreases.

Still, it is a collectible game and deserves it due consideration before diving in the deep end.

Haha yeah...

I can afford it but Im unsure if I can justify it. Ive bought the starters and a few boosters and will see how much I actually get to play and engage in it.

If it turns out im just casually getting a game in every now and then I can walk away without much damage done and still have a fun cardgame to break out with a friend every now and then.

As a game, it's only as expensive as you make it. If you want to play hard in the tournie scene, then yes you need to have a lot of material. If you plan to play casual, you can easily have fun with some starters and however many boosters your time/effort/money will afford you.

I can say I've played games like Dicemaster and Magic in a very casual sense without getting sucked into the collector mode and have had my money's worth of fun with both. Every now and then, I'd even pull something rare that I could sell for more material.

I've seen this mentioned on different boards, but was unable to find an FFG source. Does anyone have a link to an FFG source saying that they plan to release 3 sets each year?

I think your estimate is crazy high. I spent about $350 when the game released between buying multiple starters and three booster boxes. That was all in the first week or so. I bought far more than most people were able to get their hands on, so I'm not representative. Since then, I've spent $7... $5 for a tournament entry fee (most have been free) and $2 to buy a Scout card (I was lazy and didn't want to walk out to my car). I don't anticipate needing to buy any more boosters until the next expansion is released. I'm expecting to buy three booster boxes each time an expansion is released, with a minimal amount of money in between releases. This isn't Magic...

Magic the Gathering can be super expensive. The most recent set has 264 cards with 53 rares and 15 mythic rares, each at 1 per pack. At a minimum, and with perfect pulls, you'd need to buy 272 packs to get a full playset (4 each) of those cards. At $3.99 per pack, that's $1085.28... for PERFECT PACKS with no duplicates. Obviously, that'll never happen. Realistically, you'll spend far more OR have to invest lots of time and effort trading/dealing with singles to make a full play set. My time is worth something. I'm not even getting into foils. If you want a full play set of foils, you're looking at unreal amounts of money. Now, so this 2-3 times per year. $$$$$$$$

So far, I've kept costs down. 1 starter, one box and about £15 on boosters and single cards.

I've had some good pulls, but I approach it the way I approach x-wing - by only playing heroes, it limits what I aim for and gives me lots of guilt free trades to get them.

My plan is a box per wave, see how that works out. I do OK from temhe boosters I win which has paid off my next 5 tourney entry fees.

I actually went and bought 2 copies of each starter set and 12 boosters to go with that. Luckily pulled 4 legendaries from those boosters though mostely useful for Hero decks which is disappointing since im aiming mainly for Villain :D

Im gonna try make do with what I got right now, hopefully get a good number of games in and a booster or two every now and then and Ill see where this goes. If I get to play enough ill drop the cash for a booster box and hopefully get enough to build a solid deck from, at least if I can trade.

I actually went and bought 2 copies of each starter set and 12 boosters to go with that. Luckily pulled 4 legendaries from those boosters though mostely useful for Hero decks which is disappointing since im aiming mainly for Villain :D

Im gonna try make do with what I got right now, hopefully get a good number of games in and a booster or two every now and then and Ill see where this goes. If I get to play enough ill drop the cash for a booster box and hopefully get enough to build a solid deck from, at least if I can trade.

I think your estimate is crazy high. I spent about $350 when the game released between buying multiple starters and three booster boxes. That was all in the first week or so. I bought far more than most people were able to get their hands on, so I'm not representative. Since then, I've spent $7... $5 for a tournament entry fee (most have been free) and $2 to buy a Scout card (I was lazy and didn't want to walk out to my car). I don't anticipate needing to buy any more boosters until the next expansion is released. I'm expecting to buy three booster boxes each time an expansion is released, with a minimal amount of money in between releases. This isn't Magic...

Magic the Gathering can be super expensive. The most recent set has 264 cards with 53 rares and 15 mythic rares, each at 1 per pack. At a minimum, and with perfect pulls, you'd need to buy 272 packs to get a full playset (4 each) of those cards. At $3.99 per pack, that's $1085.28... for PERFECT PACKS with no duplicates. Obviously, that'll never happen. Realistically, you'll spend far more OR have to invest lots of time and effort trading/dealing with singles to make a full play set. My time is worth something. I'm not even getting into foils. If you want a full play set of foils, you're looking at unreal amounts of money. Now, so this 2-3 times per year. $$$$$$$$

Ok, so $350 a release (once every four months) plus tournament fees (say 8 of them in that time) that is right around $400, which is $100 a month. Yes, my estimate is crazy high. God bless core curriculum.

Yes, you can do this on the cheap, if you wait for singles' prices to drop and decide to buy only one deck and just the cards needed for that deck. One needs a lot of discipline to not waste stupid amounts of money on a CCG. With only needed 23 cards to play, this isn't the money sink Magic can be, it also isn't an LCG like it should be.

Ok, so $350 a release (once every four months) plus tournament fees (say 8 of them in that time) that is right around $400, which is $100 a month. Yes, my estimate is crazy high. God bless core curriculum.

Yes, you can do this on the cheap, if you wait for singles' prices to drop and decide to buy only one deck and just the cards needed for that deck. One needs a lot of discipline to not waste stupid amounts of money on a CCG. With only needed 23 cards to play, this isn't the money sink Magic can be, it also isn't an LCG like it should be.

Thanks for the implication that I don't understand basic math. Real nice.

Let's do this again. You said $100-$200 per month. I said three booster boxes per release with minimal expenditures otherwise. Let's be conservative and say that I can get a 10% preorder discount. That's not unreasonable given how this industry works. Each booster box is now $96.88. Three of them will cost me $290.64. We get three of these releases per year. Three booster boxes times three releases per year is $871.92. One of those releases will have starter decks. Let's throw in two of each. That's an extra $53.96 given the preorder discount of 10%. My annual product is now costing me $925.88. That works out to $77.16 per month. I won't have a full play set from opening packs, but I've been able to easily trade for one without spending anything extra.

Now, let's say you live in an area with enough gaming stores that you can hop from store to store and have access to two tournament/OP kits per month. In my experience, those events rarely cost more than $5 and are sometimes free. Let's call it an extra $10 a month on tournaments and incidentals. If you decide to travel to a regional or national event and spend a weekend somewhere, that should fall under your vacation and not gaming budget, so I'm ignoring that.

We're now up to ~$87 per month. Saying that this will cost you $100 isn't unreasonable, but it's a bit high. Saying that this might cost you $200 isn't really reasonable at all. If you spend $200 per month, you'll end up with so many duplicate cards that you could reasonably support a second or third player.

Now, let's assume I can get a 20% preorder discount. Again, depends on your local area, but not uncommon. It's pretty easy to swing 20% off online. Keeping everything else the same, that drops my per month down to $79. Assume I'm placing in the top 16 in each tournament/OP kit event I attend, get the promo card and sell it on eBay for ~$15 (twice per month) and I'm down to $49 per month. Again, totally reasonable.

In other words, with a little bit of basic planning, a willingness to sell promos, never buying singles and NEVER, EVER buying a booster pack outside of a full booster box, this game is actually pretty cheap. Can you imagine spending only $49 per month on Magic and having close to a full play set of everything that comes out? This game is basically free in comparison.

Actually, figuring out exactly want you want for a deck and just buying those singles is the best way to go for a CCG. However buying those singles close to release will cost a premium. Otherwise you are buying boosters with cards you don't want/need.

If I wanted to buy a box TODAY, considering they are sold out, I am paying well above MSRP. Even if I get to the game store the moment it opens on the day they get their allotment in, I am not paying under MSRP. As of right now, this 20% off a box when they are selling for way above $100 a box on ebay is a pipe dream. If the game flops or if FFG figures out how to make those dice better, maybe by the 3rd release you'll get that discount. As of right now you have people paying upwards of $175 for a box. So yes, there are some people spending stupid money on this that will put them close to, if not over, that $200/month mark. Now for the people who travel to tournaments, that monthly average is probably closer to a weekly one. Travel is travel though, the game is just an excuse.

Some people are smarter/more disciplined with their money than others. So yeah, it is possible to spend not much on this game and have fun. This is also true of Magic.

Bought 4 booster packs while I was passing by my local store in other business. Just for the heck of it, yaknow!

Pulled Kylo Rens Lightsaber in the first and Darth Vader in the second :blink:

Bought 4 booster packs while I was passing by my local store in other business. Just for the heck of it, yaknow!

Pulled Kylo Rens Lightsaber in the first and Darth Vader in the second :blink:

The Force is telling you don't be scared...

Just thinking about this very thing this morning. The game was released 1st dec. Making 1st March the expected drop date so in about 12-16 weeks.

I've seen this mentioned on different boards, but was unable to find an FFG source. Does anyone have a link to an FFG source saying that they plan to release 3 sets each year?

It was during the panel they did with the designer and a couple Star Wars writers at the Star Wars Destiny Preview Event back in November. Team Covenant put a video of the panel online.

Actually, figuring out exactly want you want for a deck and just buying those singles is the best way to go for a CCG. However buying those singles close to release will cost a premium. Otherwise you are buying boosters with cards you don't want/need.

If I wanted to buy a box TODAY, considering they are sold out, I am paying well above MSRP. Even if I get to the game store the moment it opens on the day they get their allotment in, I am not paying under MSRP. As of right now, this 20% off a box when they are selling for way above $100 a box on ebay is a pipe dream. If the game flops or if FFG figures out how to make those dice better, maybe by the 3rd release you'll get that discount. As of right now you have people paying upwards of $175 for a box. So yes, there are some people spending stupid money on this that will put them close to, if not over, that $200/month mark. Now for the people who travel to tournaments, that monthly average is probably closer to a weekly one. Travel is travel though, the game is just an excuse.

Some people are smarter/more disciplined with their money than others. So yeah, it is possible to spend not much on this game and have fun. This is also true of Magic.

In all fairness, trying to buy ANYTHING when it's sold out through primary channels will entail spending a premium on the secondary market. My example assumes you preorder before release, not try to buy something that's no longer available at retail. My suggestion is to plan your purchase and do it all up front when the prices are below retail. In fact, you could probably make the game close to free by purchasing an extra box up front and selling the singles off on eBay on day one when they're CRAZY high. I regret not selling my two Vaders for $70 each that first week.

In all fairness, trying to buy ANYTHING when it's sold out through primary channels will entail spending a premium on the secondary market. My example assumes you preorder before release, not try to buy something that's no longer available at retail. My suggestion is to plan your purchase and do it all up front when the prices are below retail. In fact, you could probably make the game close to free by purchasing an extra box up front and selling the singles off on eBay on day one when they're CRAZY high. I regret not selling my two Vaders for $70 each that first week.

From my first $120 purchase, I sold Han, Jabba, Force Choke, and Grievous, and made back about $90 after shipping and ebay fees.

Granted, then I turned around and bought another box...but if you think about it, I guess that paid for most of my next box.

In addition, I got a Rey promo card from one store, and a Tie fighter promo card last week from another (the Rey was free, the Tie Fighter was the cost of the tourney, $5, although I also got the special credit tokens, coming in 4th). I sold both those on Ebay for $30 total. ($26 after shipping and fees).

Many people will be paying a heck of a lot of money to play this game. CCGs, therefore, are a gold mine for making most of your money back. (I would suggest not to try to make a profit. I like to get to a point where my hobbies get much cheaper, though.)

From my first $120 purchase, I sold Han, Jabba, Force Choke, and Grievous, and made back about $90 after shipping and ebay fees.

Granted, then I turned around and bought another box...but if you think about it, I guess that paid for most of my next box.

In addition, I got a Rey promo card from one store, and a Tie fighter promo card last week from another (the Rey was free, the Tie Fighter was the cost of the tourney, $5, although I also got the special credit tokens, coming in 4th). I sold both those on Ebay for $30 total. ($26 after shipping and fees).

Many people will be paying a heck of a lot of money to play this game. CCGs, therefore, are a gold mine for making most of your money back. (I would suggest not to try to make a profit. I like to get to a point where my hobbies get much cheaper, though.)

100% agreed. If you're able to finish in the top 16 in every organized play event you go to (in order to get at least one promo), you'll be able to make money by selling the promos on eBay. Go to enough events and you can use this money to buy future product.

There are very savvy people who make a lot of money off these types of games. They are in the minority.