Recuperate

By wulf7, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

hey ho!

our overlord has been begging me to post this question for him, he´s blessed with the gift of illiteracy and he does not speak any english. and finally, he´s not really the smartest. so here we go:

we´ve been discussing the "recuperate" action, i´ve just been looking that one up last time we´ve been playing, and we are not really sure how to understand that kind of action.

page 10 of the rulebook says:

4. Party Actions
When it is the party’s turn to act during the game week, the
hero players collectively choose either the Move action or the
Recuperate /Train action.

Blablabla

Recuperate/ Train Action
When the party chooses the Recuperate/Train action, each
individual hero must decide whether to recuperate or train.
If a hero recuperates, he spends 50 coins and is restored to full
wounds and fatigue.
If a hero trains while the party is in a city, he visits one of the
buildings available in that city and follows the instructions for
that building’s “train” circumstance. If a hero trains while the
party is at a Secret Master Area, refer to the instructions under
“Secret Training” on page 23. If a hero trains while the party is
not at a city or Secret Master Area, he receives no benefit.

ok, that is what the rules say. and i see no rules about the heroes beeing in a city when choosing that action (btw this action would become totally useless because you could use the temples instead (besides, the city was raised)).

so what do you think? i think as they point out that heroes can also train but not receive any benefit (how useless is that?) while beeing out of town shows that you can recuperate while you´re not in a city. for that you have to stay at the same point for one week.

thanks for your answers!

There is a section called 'Gathered List of answered questions'.... just on top of the board. So as many questions come again and again this list is just awesome because everybody who has a question could perhaps find an answer there.

So next time look there before posting... because it has exactly your question answered.

Q: Can a party still recuperate when in the wilderness

A: You have to be in town to heal.

So I would say clearly 'No'. Or does anybody disagree?

But anyway if your OL is really this dumb you should manage to defeat him easily even without that recuperate in the wilderness. Perhaps, if this dumb OL smacked the s**t out of your heroes two times and managed to win the campaign in copper/early silver level then you should think about houseruling it. But how dumb must someone be if this happend to him with a dumb OL. I mean even with a real smart OL that should almost be impossible for him. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Cheers cool.gif

wulf said:

hey ho!

our overlord has been begging me to post this question for him, he´s blessed with the gift of illiteracy and he does not speak any english. and finally, he´s not really the smartest. so here we go:

we´ve been discussing the "recuperate" action, i´ve just been looking that one up last time we´ve been playing, and we are not really sure how to understand that kind of action.

Oh just forgot one thing: When speaking english you always start a new sentence with a capital letter... just for your information cool.gif

hey there mahapate!

thank you for your answer, but i think you didn´t really understand what i was talking about. i´ve been putting this topic here because i don´t agree with the "gathered list of answered questions". if i would, i wouldn´t have posted it ;)

oh yes, our overlord was definetely too strong, but thats just because he´s houseruling everything on his own, like fleeing dungeons and restocking.

MaHaPaTe said:

Oh just forgot one thing: When speaking english you always start a new sentence with an capitol letter... just for your information cool.gif

i think what you meant is the capit A l letter, not the capitol. because that is some kind of building, just for your information cool.gif

perhaps somebody with better knowledge knows how to handle this recuperate-thing (even if i think it´s very useless, i´m still interested in the rules).

thanks for your answers!

wulf said:

hey there mahapate!

thank you for your answer, but i think you didn´t really understand what i was talking about. i´ve been putting this topic here because i don´t agree with the "gathered list of answered questions". if i would, i wouldn´t have posted it ;)

u didn't lose a word 'bout the list....

wulf said:

oh yes, our overlord was definetely too strong, but thats just because he´s houseruling everything on his own, like fleeing dungeons and restocking.

What kind of houserules did he use? Can't imagine any....

wulf said:

MaHaPaTe said:

Oh just forgot one thing: When speaking english you always start a new sentence with an capital letter... just for your information cool.gif

i think what you meant is the capit A l letter, not the capitol. because that is some kind of building, just for your information cool.gif

I got no idea what you're taliking about...

wulf said:

perhaps somebody with better knowledge knows how to handle this recuperate-thing (even if i think it´s very useless, i´m still interested in the rules).

thanks for your answers!

That's why I said.... '' 'No' or does anyone disagree....''

help! is there anybody out there who knows about the rules and not only "how do i use the quote-button"? ;-)

and please don´t feed the trolls! :-P

wulf said:

help! is there anybody out there who knows about the rules and not only "how do i use the quote-button"? ;-)

and please don´t feed the trolls! :-P

IMHO "Recuperate" should never have been put into the rules as it just confuses the issue.

"Recuperate" is just the name of what happens when the Party begins the week in a town and chooses to take a "Recuperate/Train" week action and a hero(es) goes to the Temple building. It is ONLY flavor text- instead of "Training" in the Temple, the hero "Recuperates"

That's IT. Recuperate means NOTHING else.

FYI- the quoted text in the Stickied thread is a direct answer from Kevin Wilson the designer of the game

thank you very much!

Oboewan has it right. You have to spend an entire game week in a town's temple to "recuperate." So a hero cannot "recuperate" while being out of town, that is, in a dungeon.

What a hero can do is use a glyph in accordance with the rules on pages 17 to 18 in the RtL instruction manual. That is, spend your turn by glyphing to Talmir. "A hero returning in this way is placed in the building of his choice, and may immediately claim the benefits of 'restocking.'" On page 22, the rules explain a temple's visit or restock uses as follows: "A hero visiting a Temple in one of these circumstances may spend 25 coins to heal a number of wounds equal to the Temple’s rating." Talamir's temple rating, without the temple upgrade, is 5.

Hence, you can spend a turn and 25 coins in Talamir's temple to heal 5 wounds. If you want to heal more, spend the next turn and 25 more coins in Talamir's temple to heal another 5 wounds, and so forth.

Please note that, for your hero to move through a glyph, he must begin his turn on or adjacent to the glyph, and it must already be activated.

Foxburr said:

Please note that, for your hero to move through a glyph, he must begin his turn on or adjacent to the glyph, and it must already be activated.

So a hero can't activate and use a glyph in the same turn.. do I get this right?

I'm not big on this rule. It seems like too much micromanagement. I'd much rather them go visit the town whenever they want. But when they come out, they can't pop back in on the same turn.

I can understand why this rule may not be popular. When playing a hero, I myself hated that my hero had to move on or next to the activated glyph in order to visit Talamir the next turn. Usually, I was severely injured and the OL du jour wasted no time wasting me. Oh well, there's more than one way to get to Talamir. As current OL, this hasn't been much of an issue. The current party patiently waits until I gently guide a member of the party to town...by repeated traps and arrow storms!

Squeezebox's suggestion seems like a reasonable house rule. Not one that my group will be playing, but reasonable, nonetheless.

Thanks Foxburr! I always like it when people think I'm being reasonable. ;) Especially when I'm killing them with a master beastman.