What happens when Runner runs out of cards?

By DreamsInAnime, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

What would happen if the Runner's Stack was emptied?

1. Sorry if this is extremely n00b question. If the Corp's deck (R&D) is empty, the game is over, that is the game's time-limit. I get that. If the Runner's deck (Stack) is empty, he... ? I've checked and I've re-checked, the rulebook, FAQ, this forum, nowhere does it actually say the Runner can re-shuffle his discard (Heap) and start his deck (Stack) over, like in so many other card games? It does not actually say the game is over, either. Am I missing something here?

2. Hypothetically, though it doesn't say so, the Runner would simply not be able to draw cards, play continues?

3. Follow-up: If 2 is a "yes", a Runner could theoretically be "TKO" if his Rig was too trashed (by card effects) or simply inadequate to deal with the ICE (Example: not the right Icebreakers)?

4. Has this ever happened to anyone? ...or am I getting this wrong?

No, I've not actually had a game drawn out long enough for this to happen (yet) but I'd rather not have to argue this one at the gaming table!

It's a fine question--the answer is yes, if the runner is decked there is no loss condition, you just keep going with the cards in play. It's a risky tactical situation because you're exactly right that a lost breaker without any recursion could leave you permanently locked out of a server with ETR ice or ice that would inflict unacceptable, unrecoverable damage.

It's not terribly common, but it does happen. It's a hard circumstance for a corp to create unless they're winning already, such that the runner has to take an unacceptable risk to avoid losing outright. If the corporation is on 5 points and they Install-advance-advance a card, if you don't go check that card then you're done if it's the winning agenda. If it's an Aggressive Secretary you are going to have a bad time but you don't have a choice, if you don't have other outs.

What usually results is the corp rushing out agendas behind a piece of "gear-check" ice or going for a Flatline condition because the runner can't draw more hit points. But like I said above, it's usually the case that if this happens is either #1, the corp has the advantage and is probably going to win anyway, or #2, the runner made some serious mistakes, in which case see #1.

What can you do? Play to your outs. If you can still get into R&D, get in there and find the points. If you can get into a remote, keep the threat of Clot alive and wait for agendas to pile up in HQ. If you're locked out of everywhere, you can concede.