5th Edition

By Bludgeon, in Talisman

Because it's always fun to speculate, how do you envision or expect next edition of this game? Assuming it is released, lets say, in summer 2019.

Am sure Talisman is a Games Workshop licence and if am right then FFG will not be making a new edition of the game.

Edited by Torg

I didn't imply 5th edition will be made by FFG.

D20. D20's make everything better :-)

Elaborate. Also, don't you think this will make the game too similar to runebound?

Revised 4th edition rules and board set up but illustrated by Gary Chalk.

Larger cards to display such magnificent artwork

Metal figures mimicking the revised 4th edition characters but designed by Aly and Trish Morrison or the Twins.

An Iniquisitor

Timescape

Key pieces of scenery in 3D matching Mr Chalks artwork

A free poster in the First expansion.

The main game costing £19.99 and expansions £7.99

Yep that would about do it.

..oh and an Inquisitor

Elaborate. Also, don't you think this will make the game too similar to runebound?

Metal figures mimicking the revised 4th edition characters but designed by Aly and Trish Morrison or the Twins.

An Iniquisitor

Timescape

..oh and an Inquisitor

So, you don't want much then? :)

IMNSHO, 4r is pretty **** perfect as Talisman goes.

Only thing of note I'd consider changing is 2D6 for combat (bell curve) which makes bonus D6's less overpowered and higher levels of stat differences still relevant, while also curbing bad luck.

Otherwise, re-prent 4R and it's expansions, but:
some tweaks to the later (Dragon onwards) expansions where they got a bit rulesy;
better integration of planned expansions into the base game;
tweak a few odd cards that monkey with things too much;

a couple of "Character Pack" expansions, for all the "missing" and mephisto characters;

the two (and one missing) POD expansions combined into one "proper" expansion;
an expansion that is a "storage box" for everything, plus some cards to integrate everything together.

IMNSHO, 4r is pretty **** perfect as Talisman goes.

An Iniquisitor

Timescape

..oh and an Inquisitor

So, you don't want much then? :)

Nah ....just the basics

What I’d like to see in 5 th edition is a bit more realism in the rules. Here are some suggestions:

• more realistic restrictions on objects/followers that allow you to carry extra objects:
  • e.g. can’t carry 10 followers and a Horse and Cart on top of your Riding Horse or Flying Carpet, etc.

(Recall 2 nd Ed: You had to leave your followers behind if you wanted to use the Horse, but you could return to the space where you left them as your next move.)

· more realistic use of weapons/armour:

o always know what’s actually ON your character at any given moment (e.g. can’t get into a fight and then after losing, roll for your Armour that’s in your Bag of Holding; can’t wear a Helmet and Solomon’s Crown at the same time, etc.)

· clearer sense of progression:

o cost of building up strength/craft starts low and increases progressively (rather than just constant 7 points throughout)

o different, tougher Adventure deck in Middle Region (e.g. Dragons)

· character encounters treated in addition to encountering the space and any cards there (not instead of), e.g. Character encounter can be equivalent to encountering Strangers (i.e. 4 in the encounter order):

o e.g. when you land on a space with a face-up Enemy and another Character, can’t just ignore the Enemy and fight the Character; or if you land on a die-roll space, can’t just avoid rolling the die by encountering a Character in the same space, etc.

Also:

· improve endgame rules so that it doesn’t drag on too long

· optional rules for co-operative play, e.g. teams of two vs. two

I just want Neutral Alignment cards in the core set. I hope I don't ask for too much.

A combat and trade System like runebound 2nd ed, which includes a third Attribute for range combat, a mapboard consisting of multiple parts like mage Knight.. real quests with Location, Monsters, rewards, a Story that is playable in the game through the quests and encouinters. sounds great doessnt it ? i just started to develop it for myself.

I just want Neutral Alignment cards in the core set. I hope I don't ask for too much.

I would like to see them using the Cataclysm board as base board and expansions built around it. That would be interesting.

I would like to see them using the Cataclysm board as base board and expansions built around it. That would be interesting.

Also, I would like if the entire inner region was scenario-based.

I like the idea of adding some d8 or d20 dice for expanded rolling effects. We house rule the Treasure Chamber space in the Dungeon to be if you defeat the Lord of Darkness, you don't use the amount you win by as the determiner of where to place your character. We roll a d8, regardless of win delta, and you go to the space as indicated by your roll. So, you can barely beat the LoD and make it all the way to the Crown of Command, or you can beat him by 12 and wind up in the Forest or Temple. It keeps people from doing nothing but grinding and then getting an automatic backdoor to the CoC without a Talisman.

And a pirate expansion.

Ooh a pirate expansion that would be fun.

Or tropical island with dinosaurs, nagas, lizardmen...

or dream lands

or afterlife region

My ideas. Some are influenced by games like eldritch horror and other rpgs.

Main goals:

- less randomness, but keep chaotic spirit of the game

- more depends on player's choices

- greater customization in areas where there wasn't any

Board

- for outer and middle regions, add one space on the longer side of the board, remove one on the shorter side. This will make the board more effectively manage space for cards.

- group spaces like hills fields etc together in one area of the board so players with abilities tied to those spaces can hang around there if they want to.

- all text removed from "draw cards" spaces and replaced with symbols like in relic

- most other spaces lose their text and get "draw two cards from [space name] and encounter one of them". Each specific space has a mini deck of 6 cards that's placed on that space. This also replaces denizens

--- some spaces have to keep some of their text, namely the sentinel, warlock's cave, portal of power, desert

- city renamed to town to avoid confusion with city expansion

- characters can move what they rolled or less, and both the board and all adventure cards are redesigned with that important rule in mind.

- two more ruins spaces between tavern and town

- all characters start in the outer region

- a modified version of remnants. At the start of the game put one remnant card facedown on each "draw cards" space in the outer region. Some of those cards are like remnants cards, others are terrain cards that are not copies of existing spaces but unique

- at the start of the game you have to choose ending card (affects only inner region and end of game), and scenario card (a set of extra rules for entire game, sometimes game setup). Those cards are places in the inner region.

- all inner regions spaces except plain of peril and CoC are gone, replaced by ending card.

Characters

- rest mechanic

- three attributes: Might, Skill, Will similar to relic

- starting lives most characters have 8, stronger enemies take 2 or 3 life if lost to

- spells are not discarded when cast but turned facedown, can be regained after rest. spells are redesigned with that in mind

- fate can be spent in more ways than rerolls

- skill attribute affects movement somehow, and is important when encountering Places and traps

- character sheet tells you how much gold you start with. more variety with starting gold

- follower limit

- trinkets take up inventory space, just less than normal objects

Mechanics

- rest mechanic

- universally in the game you want to roll high

- attribute tests are introduced, unifying all manners of strength and craft-related rolls (except combat of course)

- only one type of combat, like in relic

- instead of being toaded, characters are cursed. Cursed characters must reroll all 6s they roll.

- characters can also be blessed, blessed characters may reroll all 1s they roll.

- some objects and followers have charges like in relic

- different armour system where you can accumulate armour from different sources

- 3 or 4 spell decks with different themes and for different strategies

- day/night mechanic is in the base game, some cards have two text boxes, one for day, one for night

Edited by Bludgeon

I like that idea of cursed and blessed rerolls.

I'd like to see things like wearing heavy armour affecting travelling distance, but if your wearing armour it doesnt count against carried objects.

I like that idea of cursed and blessed rerolls.

I'd like to see things like wearing heavy armour affecting travelling distance, but if your wearing armour it doesnt count against carried objects.

Maybe some characters would have favored type of armour and that armour doesn't count toward item limit?

Edited by Bludgeon

I would simply like to see the continued availability of the current rev 4 edition expansions.

I would simply like to see the continued availability of the current rev 4 edition expansions.